The rise of Pitbull...this came out of nowhere, right?

Dude is EVERYWHERE.....not hating at all, but just curious as to how this happened?  Seems like yesterday he was rapping bout some culo in an oversized cuba bb jersey w. Lil Jon, and now he's got his own Dr. Pepper ad.  That's quite the come up.  He gives u a couple bars in English/Spanish and he calls it a day.  Honestly, he's carved out a nice lil' niche for himself...I wonder how long this lasts? 

son took a break from traditonal rap and started to THRIVE in da latin markets...he's on every other spanish remix, he's on j-lo's track, marc anthony's track, and he's got his own song with Neyo smashing da charts

for months at a time...and that joint he did with t-pain never comes off da radio...

son was on forbez as one of da biggest earners, making a top 10 appearance.

Nah Miami rappers just took advantage of the changing Miami scene and chasing after the electro hip hop sound

Word to Flo-rida and that Jason Derulo dude before him

He can flow, but his music is straight trash. I can't knock the hustle though. He makes club hits perennially. I'd definitely be ashamed to listen to him if I were a male over the age of 14.

Originally Posted by cartune

Nah Miami rappers just took advantage of the changing Miami scene and chasing after the electro hip hop sound

Word to Flo-rida and that Jason Derulo dude before him

Jason Derulo was a rapper? 
laugh.gif

And yea,these dudes were smart for seeing how "electro-dance" type music rules the charts and the radio nowadays and made the switch. They might not make the best music but they're getting PAID now and even though it doesn't mean as much as it used to,their music is always tearing up the charts. Can't even hate,they do make some club bangers though 
pimp.gif

Even though Pit at one point was smashing my high school sweetheart..I give him props..This is how his game plan was..He came out on the typical Miami rap scene released Money Is A Major Issue, got a lil buz from that but basically was on the pace of disappearing and not ever blowing like the rest of the people he was tight with (Piccalo)..He then moved to the Latin market and ran with the reggeaton scene and rode that wave until it died down (thank god) and then he went pop and is currently making a killing off of the very lucrative pop scene..He basically explored different avenues and progressed each time instead of just sticking to Miami rap and being a bum now like a lot of Miami rappers who were a lil hot at one point.. 

Originally Posted by undefinedinc

Even though Pit at one point was smashing my high school sweetheart..I give him props..This is how his game plan was..He came out on the typical Miami rap scene released Money Is A Major Issue, got a lil buz from that but basically was on the pace of disappearing and not ever blowing like the rest of the people he was tight with (Piccalo)..He then moved to the Latin market and ran with the reggeaton scene and rode that wave until it died down (thank god) and then he went pop and is currently making a killing off of the very lucrative pop scene..He basically explored different avenues and progressed each time instead of just sticking to Miami rap and being a bum now like a lot of Miami rappers who were a lil hot at one point.. 
Pics?
btw, this answers the OP's question.

I'd love to hear him drop a hot 16 like I know he can. 

Dr. Pepper $
Kodak $
#1 song in the WORLD

Some might say he sold out but dude is feeding his peoples.

He had no choice but to switch up. I don't if y'all remember but TVT Records fell off (also the reason Lil Jon never dropped the album that was supposed to have 'Snap Yo Fingers', I believe it was Crunk Rock. ) and he had to go the Latin route to keep the money coming in.

I don't know how you can say it was out of nowhere as long as he had been putting out records.

Culo, Toma.....were bangers.

He had been grinding hard, doing exactly what he does now. Uptempo party records. Killing features. And for quite some time.

Then a few things worked in his favor.

America as a whole has gone from having that Urban lean, to having a Latin lean. Even off the sheer fact that the Latin population has become so massive in the US.

Lately you've seen J-Lo come back. Enrique come back. And Pit pop.

And him and his team are very smart.

They saw the explosion of uptempo/pop/dance records in the US. That happened out of Miami. Records like Enur "Calabria", Bob Sinclair "World Hold On", David Guetta "Love Is Gone" all broke out of Miami. They were on the POP stations down there. Then spreading to NY, Chicago etc.

And Pit was smart. He lives in Miami. He's hearing these records in the club and now on the RADIO? He was taking these records and just jumping on them. Servicing them to DJ's etc. And he got hot off that. Show money up.

So here's a story........

I worked Enur "Calabria" to radio. That was a Top 30 Pop record. Hit #17 on the Hot 100. From an indie label.

Pit jacked that record and did "The Anthem", and it drove me crazy. Because some places would play the Pit version instead of mine. Especially on the West Coast where Pit has a HUGE following. LA, TX etc.

And it infuriated me. So basically Pop Radio played Enur, and more Rhythm/Rap Radio played Pit. Even though when I rolled out, I was getting the Rhythm guys too.

So we have this record poppin' out of Miami. Nicola Fasano vs. Pat Rich "75, Brazil Street". Power 96 is bangin' it.

But it's an ill beat with a vocal in Portuguese. Most cities would not play this record, because you couldn't understand the words. Anything goes in Miami. HA!

So my boss comes in my office. The head of A+R for his Publishing company is in my office chillin' already. And we're basically all saying, "we need some English on this so other cities will play it".

"So who do we get......."

"Trina"? "Luke"? Someone big in Miami because that's where it was poppin'.

And I suggested Pitbull.

Because he drove me so crazy when he jacked "Calabria", and he lives in Miami, where my record is poppin'.....it was like....if we don't pay him to do it, he's gonna jack it.

So we got him. And that record became "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ochco)". 195 Million downloads later.....

http://www.youtube.com/wa...=E2tMV96xULk&ob=av2e

I could tell you mad stories. My boss made a mint off this record. I lived good, but not like him.

Even Pit's crew be like "damn, you guys made a LOT of money off that". And I'm like "nah, you got me confused for the dude the owns the company". But it was definitely a good time and we all did great off it.

Pit's tour $$$ must've been ridiculous as that popped. Biggest record I've ever worked on my own. #4 Pop, #5 Rhythm. #2 Hot 100.

I've worked bigger when I was part of a big staff at the majors though.

Yo, props to this cat. BIG records. "Give Me Everything" was a #1 Pop record. That's like....Britney *!+@.

But he had a long road and he played the game smart, had some good guidance (even though me and his manager had our moments). He wanted it. He works HARD. Is friendly with everyone.

Suited up. Made himself marketable to so many different audiences. Dr. Pepper commercials son!

Out of nowhere though......c'mon now.

I need a blog, right?

illphill

how can dudes jack a track? or did he just go around you considering it's a foreign track?

and how much is taken out of his royalties considering most of his hits are "unoriginal"?
thx

OK. It's very complicated.

Basically ANYONE can do a cover. Cover versions of records are legal.You just need to clear it with the writers. And not actually with the master owner.

So let's take "Calabria" as an example.

What they did was clear the SAMPLE. The horn sample.

Then they did a cover of it. They had someone reproduce around the record. Guys I %@%!!@$ know!

It was by an artist names Alawan.

As long as it's cleared with the writers, it doesn't matter that we own the master. And they can legally do a cover. Or the same record.

The same people who manage Alawan, manage Pit. So after we squashed the Alawan version, they came with a Pit version and made life tough for us.

To answer your question though, Pit can jack these records, and service them to DJ's. He only needs clearance to SELL them. So sometimes he just does it to throw a hot record out.

But he still makes ill show money because of that.

Or they'll go in and clear the sample with the writers. At that point, it's just what's negotiated. But yes, the original writers can basically say, "we get X, or you don't get clearance".

"I Know You Want Me" was tough, because the original is a sample from "Street Walker" by the band Chicago. So there's like 6 writers on there. Chicago, Pit, and Nicola Fasano.

There was a LOT of negotiating to get that cleared.

I have a Double Platinum plaque for that record though. So well worth it.

Oh, I forgot. They tried to clear the "I Know You Want Me" sample and do it themselves without us.

So yes, they tried to "backdoor" (jokes...) us and do it themselves. They about their BUSINESS.

But because I believe we publish Nicola in the US, and he was a part of it, we prevented them from clearing it and worked out the deal with Pit direct.

That's also how he got writer credit. He made bank off that too.

Originally Posted by illphillip

I don't know how you can say it was out of nowhere as long as he had been putting out records.

He had been grinding hard, doing exactly what he does now. Uptempo party records. Killing features. And for quite some time.

America as a whole has gone from having that Urban lean, to having a Latin lean. Even off the sheer fact that the Latin population has become so massive in the US.

They saw the explosion of uptempo/pop/dance records in the US. That happened out of Miami. Records like Enur "Calabria", Bob Sinclair "World Hold On", David Guetta "Love Is Gone" all broke out of Miami. They were on the POP stations down there. Then spreading to NY, Chicago etc.

And Pit was smart. He lives in Miami. He's hearing these records in the club and now on the RADIO? He was taking these records and just jumping on them. Servicing them to DJ's etc. And he got hot off that. Show money up.

I worked Enur "Calabria" to radio. That was a Top 30 Pop record. Hit #17 on the Hot 100. From an indie label.

Pit jacked that record and did "The Anthem", and it drove me crazy. Because some places would play the Pit version instead of mine. Especially on the West Coast where Pit has a HUGE following. LA, TX etc.

And it infuriated me. So basically Pop Radio played Enur, and more Rhythm/Rap Radio played Pit. Even though when I rolled out, I was getting the Rhythm guys too.

So we have this record poppin' out of Miami. Nicola Fasano vs. Pat Rich "75, Brazil Street". Power 96 is bangin' it.

But it's an ill beat with a vocal in Portuguese. Most cities would not play this record, because you couldn't understand the words. Anything goes in Miami. HA!

So my boss comes in my office. The head of A+R for his Publishing company is in my office chillin' already. And we're basically all saying, "we need some English on this so other cities will play it".

And I suggested Pitbull.

Because he drove me so crazy when he jacked "Calabria", and he lives in Miami, where my record is poppin'.....it was like....if we don't pay him to do it, he's gonna jack it.

So we got him. And that record became "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ochco)". 195 Million downloads later.....

I could tell you mad stories. My boss made a mint off this record. I lived good, but not like him.

Even Pit's crew be like "damn, you guys made a LOT of money off that". And I'm like "nah, you got me confused for the dude the owns the company". But it was definitely a good time and we all did great off it.

Pit's tour $$$ must've been ridiculous as that popped. Biggest record I've ever worked on my own. #4 Pop, #5 Rhythm. #2 Hot 100.

Yo, props to this cat. BIG records. "Give Me Everything" was a #1 Pop record. That's like....Britney *!+@.

But he had a long road and he played the game smart, had some good guidance (even though me and his manager had our moments). He wanted it. He works HARD. Is friendly with everyone.

Suited up. Made himself marketable to so many different audiences. Dr. Pepper commercials son!

I need a blog, right?
The mainstream popularity WAS out of nowhere....I remember when he was being hyped as the next big thing a few years back on MTV2.  He had his Culo & Toma tracks and they were both hot, but I swear there was a good 3-5 year stretch where you didn't hear @#$@ from dude.  At the end of the day, you're in the business and in the "know" and I'm just going off of my opinion.  I'll side with what you said because you're in the industry....I just never envisioned this guy having the mainstream success that he is now. 

*Speaking of which, what's your opinion on NORE's foray into Reggaeton? 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

And I suggested Pitbull.

I need a blog, right?
 but I swear there was a good 3-5 year stretch where you didn't hear @#$@ from dude.
that was da genuis with pitbull...son could exit and enter da English market as he pleased...

this song was HUGE when it dropped for da spanish/latin market....15 million+ views on youtube.....da way he travels in and out da english pop genre into da latin markets so effortlessly and still make hits is something to me envied.

as far as noreaga doing reggaeton...son was probably one of da first cats to introduce reggaeton to da american mainstream market....for many people, da first time the knew daddy yankee existed was that feature on nore's video.

if nore would've worked on his craft more he would've been doing what pitbull does now, perhaps in a more grimey extent and collabin with more people from da reggaeton world.....bottomline is i think he didn't capitalize on da fact

that he was truely one of da first to pop off with reggaeton on a big level in da states.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

The mainstream popularity WAS out of nowhere....I remember when he was being hyped as the next big thing a few years back on MTV2.  He had his Culo & Toma tracks and they were both hot, but I swear there was a good 3-5 year stretch where you didn't hear @#$@ from dude.  At the end of the day, you're in the business and in the "know" and I'm just going off of my opinion.  I'll side with what you said because you're in the industry....I just never envisioned this guy having the mainstream success that he is now. 

*Speaking of which, what's your opinion on NORE's foray into Reggaeton? 
Pit always had records. Depending on where you live, they may not have been popping though. And like someone said, his label, TVT folded while he was on it. So it may have effected his exposure.

So again, it wasn't out of nowhere.

He had that "Move Shake Drop" record that made noise. He jacked Benny Benassi "Satisfaction" for that.

He did a record called "Krazy" that sampled "Take Me To The Love Parade".

Then "The Anthem".

Honestly, people tell me that it was "I Know You Want Me" that made him a Pop star. At that point he was starting to suit up. And all it takes is that ONE record to launch you into SUPER stardom.

But all those records he had out before that, and that fanbase he built, laid the foundation for that mainstream success he has now.

NORE's being smart. That market is these. It sells records. And when I say records I mean ALBUMS. He can play both sides the way Pit has and double his chances of selling.

Pit been griding those party records for years as far as I know. Glad its finally paying off
pimp.gif

*bump*

Dude has his own station on Sirius (Ch. 4 Globalization).

His paper is outta control...

Back
Top Bottom