The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My fit on my current build. Utility over style for my fist playthrough.
20220408_214455.jpg

And I just got this look. It was hard getting the golden thong. :lol:
20220408_214449.jpg

Pretty much been wearing these and Traveling noble w/ blue hood. Don't wear any of the heavy stuff.
ELDEN RING™_20220409100538 (2).png

ELDEN RING™_20220409100715 (2).png

ELDEN RING™_20220409100447 (2).png
Loved to see the variety of fits people rock with
Working on collecting all armor on my second character so I can try out more fits but here’s some from my first playthrough at NG+:

Generally looks over utility of course, since even skyhigh poise constantly gets my weapon arts or incantations interrupted.

3CA5FB66-3A07-47C4-A99F-394756B86300.jpeg

0EE75791-201E-4BE5-89BA-F7885BE291C2.jpeg

80FD73DD-D3A1-4113-9508-6B80961C6DB2.jpeg

B23BC717-0493-4EC1-83B6-E4CB12D988B8.jpeg

068223A5-B0C5-4A57-B504-7DD8EA920BBF.jpeg

6635B679-BE80-41C6-885D-643F3893FA5A.jpeg

44A6D7B4-68D3-4761-A0E0-DE1C0FC3F58C.jpeg

It seriously looks like you guys are playing a different game than me.

I am like level 80 and still have the katana (+11) that you start out with at the beginning of the game.

Im about 3 hours into Chrono Cross. I think the PS4/5 version fairs better than the Switch one from what I have read, but it is a pretty bare-bones remaster. It does have the typical fast forward, avoid battle, ect. advantages you would see in the FF 7,8, and 9 remasters.

Im enjoying it for sure. I am forcing myself to play through it slowly so I take my time. I feel like I try to rush through older games I have played, so I kind of want to savor this one.

**** this place man, i think it's the stupidest location out of any from game
I hate the chariots, especially in that dungeon

One of the tougher boss fights in the game too. You can barely heal because both of them have input reading mechanic, they’re programmed to do their thrust whenever you try to consume a flask

I hate the chariots, especially in that dungeon

One of the tougher boss fights in the game too. You can barely heal because both of them have input reading mechanic, they’re programmed to do their thrust whenever you try to consume a flask

Yeah it was a pain in the ***, even getting the ash (mimic) and then healing was a struggle because they rush to you right away. I did it on the third attempt I think, but I think only because I was power stancing scythes with the mimic...Even then I was down to only 2 or so flasks at the end.

Glad I got the armor and items cuz I am never doing that **** ever again.

Nearing the end of my NG+ run for a standard ending but I kinda wanted to take a break

…So I started a new character and already sank 30 hours into it :smh::lol:
Gonna build up this character to be my main character for whenever the DLC releases.
Will be collecting every damn armor set and weapon, as well as using a middleman friend to transfer over second versions of weapons you’d normally require NG+ for to get.
Now I can also go for my preferred ending, the frenzied flame

Last edited:
Yeah it was a pain in the ***, even getting the ash (mimic) and then healing was a struggle because they rush to you right away. I did it on the third attempt I think, but I think only because I was power stancing scythes with the mimic...Even then I was down to only 2 or so flasks at the end.

Glad I got the armor and items cuz I am never doing that **** ever again.
I don’t recall how I did it, it seems I forgot to xbox record the clip of beating those two. I sure died a bunch though.
Coincidentally, that dungeon is actually where I just got to on my new main character :lol:

Enemies reading input is just revenge for us using it against Gwyn and Fume Knight :lol:
I didn’t really notice it initially with the Crucible Knights until a bit of testing.

The most blatant input reading enemies of all though are the Godskin Apostle/Noble. No testing required there. Oh you’re thinking of healing? I already knew, now eat this blackflame fireball

Did input reading start with this game? I swear bosses did it in Sekiro too.

It's been around at least since Dark Souls, but we were able to use it to our advantage

If you stood behind Gwyn and used your flask, he would almost always turn around and do an attack that was very easy to parry

Did input reading start with this game? I swear bosses did it in Sekiro too.
I don’t recall any vivid examples from Sekiro but all FromSoft games have had it.

Like 1995 1995 said, in some cases you can use an enemy’s input reading as a way of forcing certain behavior.

A lot of enemies/bosses in Elden Ring have input reading on spellcasting too. An easy way to test and profit from it for yourself is the Rock Sling sorcery, or any type of magic with a delayed attack after activation. Enemies will dodge upon reading the cast input but aren’t programmed to dodge spells with a delayed attack.

Rock Sling is a great sorcery to have equipped if you like sorceries and notice other spells aren’t hitting due to input reading the casting.
Incantations don’t have much of an issue from what I can tell. Lightning spear seems to be too fast for the input readers to effectively counter.

One day I'll be as good as this person. :lol:

If you see a summon sign for some dude with practically zero armor, you know man's about to destroy that boss

Poise might be fairly useless unless it's skyhigh but that damage resistance from wearing armor is very noticeable.

What are your thoughts on SteamDeck?

Street Fighter 5 on the go is incredible. First of all.

As for the Steam Deck, I haven’t tweaked anything so I am not sure on the potential, but it seems perfect for JRPGs and fighters from a performance perspective. Outside of that, it is looking like 30 FPS at medium settings is what you should expect for AAA titles. Which is fine on a small screen, but I wish 60FPS was standard across the board.

Unless you are someone like me that bought it for very specific reasons I am not sure if I would recommend as of now - although, that could change by the summer (performance & compatibility updates etc.).

But one thing is for sure, the Steam Deck 2 is gonna be off the meatheezy :lol:

I think Switch will tide me over for travel, but I am going to keep an eye on it.

The Switch is definitely better IMO. I am not a fan of having to tweak things. Just plug and play is preferred.

People talking about all these emulators, drivers, OS etc. and I am like naw you can miss me with that I do not want any more things to think about/keep tabs on

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom