The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last night I finished Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition at 60 hours.

+ story
+ reminded me of a PS2 JRPG
+ music
+ cast

- auto-attack combat
- future revealing during combat
- weak side quests (there’s gotta be 500+)

8.5/10

I’m gonna take a break before jumping to XB2. I’ll probably play Yakuza Like A Dragon next.

Been playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon.
When Goro shows up, I immediately know its bad news. That man washed my party so fast. Jesus. Glad they treated him like a real boss. I know Kiryu is going to murder me. I'm grinding now at that fight club spot before that mission.

Honestly all of the Yakuza games do that. They give you so much to do after awhile you decide to bee line it to the end. So many fun side quest but burnout is real

I haven’t finished a Yakuza game, and love Like a Dragon, but can already sense this.

When it has been difficult to find time to finish some games I was/am truly excited for (Chrono Cross and Wild Arms specifically), somehow I have just finished my second playthrough of Triangle Strategy. Definitely my favorite game this year.

Until you have it, you really forget how big a deal the convenience factor plays. At home I have other commitments I can use spare time for, but sitting in an airport its easy to fire through a few chapters. Switch has really filled that niche.

I liked Yakuza: Like a Dragon, but it grew a bit stale in the middle.
I really enjoyed all of it tbh, which took me by surprise. Went on to complete all achievements on it actually, that's how much I enjoyed it.
I absolutely loved the turn-based combat
2521ee02f3f450aabd09f317a9ee9547.png

When it has been difficult to find time to finish some games I was/am truly excited for (Chrono Cross and Wild Arms specifically), somehow I have just finished my second playthrough of Triangle Strategy. Definitely my favorite game this year.

Until you have it, you really forget how big a deal the convenience factor plays. At home I have other commitments I can use spare time for, but sitting in an airport its easy to fire through a few chapters. Switch has really filled that niche.

Goat system homie :lol:

I think I've dropped about 40 hours in FF XIV over the last week and a half. My brother had me telling me about a fight for years and how I'd love it. Despite playing for years he held off on the fight until I decided to play so we could do it together. I knew the game was dope but FF XIV and it's fan service is top tier.
Neo Ex Death
NEO EX DEATH.jpg
Watching the transition to this phase was nuts. I might be hooked on FF XIV until FF XVI drops :lol:

I think I've dropped about 40 hours in FF XIV over the last week and a half. My brother had me telling me about a fight for years and how I'd love it. Despite playing for years he held off on the fight until I decided to play so we could do it together. I knew the game was dope but FF XIV and it's fan service is top tier.
Neo Ex Death
NEO EX DEATH.jpg
Watching the transition to this phase was nuts. I might be hooked on FF XIV until FF XVI drops :lol:
Such a fun game. Can’t wait to get back in it

I also loved XIV, even though I picked a tank and was terrible at it. :lol:

It just took up such a huge part of my time I could dedicate to games. Destiny has kind of replaced it. I'd love to go back, but it feels overwhelming.

I also loved XIV, even though I picked a tank and was terrible at it. :lol:

It just took up such a huge part of my time I could dedicate to games. Destiny has kind of replaced it. I'd love to go back, but it feels overwhelming.
I’m running a tank now and love it. It helps that I have my brother and some friends to help me.

If you ever decide to return, let me know. We’d definitely be able to help!

Playing FF XIV def has rekindled my interest in Destiny but as you stated above, it feels so overwhelming. It also doesn’t seem friendly to those who’ve been away for years.

Destiny 2, right now, is a pretty easy path. You can basically level up to 1540 now immediately, play through the storyline quests and DLC you want. Level cap is 1570 and is pretty easy to get there in 3- 4 weeks of playing a couple hours a week.

The issue is it would be $150 to get all the DLC currently. You can play without it, but you arent getting a full experience. If you ever had the desire, I would target February with the Lightfall expansion. New expansions basically offer a starting point where old content tends to be forgotten for a few months. So you could get away with just getting the LF expansion and not worrying about the previous stuff.

See that’s the thing, I want to play the previous content. I don’t even know how I’d go about buying the previous DLC. It seems like you must buy each DLC separately.

FF XIV gives you all the previous expansions when you buy the new one.

i.e. if you were to buy Endwalker, you’d also get Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers.

While looking up a few things, I found this site:

All three DLC are great, with Witch Queen being the best so far.

See that’s the thing, I want to play the previous content. I don’t even know how I’d go about buying the previous DLC. It seems like you must buy each DLC separately.

FF XIV gives you all the previous expansions when you buy the new one.

i.e. if you were to buy Endwalker, you’d also get Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers.

Witch Queen is all you're really missing out on. The others weren't bad but not must play IMO. Maybe Forsaken but getting statis subclass in the campaign is a drag.

Loving Soul Hackers 2 so far. Not too deep in it but if you like Persona def look into it.

About to start a Final Fantasy 8 run.

Gonna do it right this time. I had forgot the game levels up with you last time I attempted this.

About to start a Final Fantasy 8 run.

Gonna do it right this time. I had forgot the game levels up with you last time I attempted this.

Yea, don't get stuck fighting the T-rex near Balamb Garden at level 27 like I did my first run. Only to get absolutely dominated later in the game. :lol:

Drawing and junctioning make that game much easier than 13 year old me thought it was.

It’s the reason why I didn’t beat FF VIII until the remaster. Younger me made it to disc 4 but couldn’t finish it due to difficulty. I felt like I had to summon GFs for every encounter :lol:

What a coincidence I came in here to talk about FF8 and y’all are already in it.

I’m doing my first play thru and the junction system is still real weird to me. The fact that if I just attack regularly my party still only hits for like 90 average seems hella off to me. And that when I finished disc 1 Squall was only level 19.

I’ve had no spoilers going in. kinda. Seen some youtube videos on FF in general. “Top 10 bosses” etc. I accidentally learned that the game levels with you but the rest i forgot. Like I think Rinoa is one of the best possible party members at the end.

I can’t remember but if you were to junction a spell like Cure, Cura, Curaga etc. you’ll do more damage. You probably need to play around with it a bit but certain junctions will boost defense, attack pwr, magic atk etc.

With the junctioning system I think pretty much everyone is viable. I was always partial to Quistis and Selphie.

Back
Top Bottom