The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You actually get a different jump as one of your abilities in VE which makes it feel less terrible. :lol: I am basically in the same boat you are with these three games.

2sappy 2sappy Bought/is buying Diofield. I have seen really good reviews for it.

The fact I still havent finished Chrono Cross and Wild Arms 1 (two games I love) means I have no time for new RPG's, let alone average ones. Heck, I still have Grandia remaster on my Switch I havent started. :smh:

I was listening to Sacred Symbols + last night and heard them say that Valkyrie Elysium is around 20 hours. I was so happy to hear that because I'll probably finish it :lol:

It used to be an insult to have a game that short, especially an RPG.

Now its literally a selling feature. :lol:

I put 120 hrs into Persona 5 and I have no desire to do anything like that again :lol:
Unfortunately what keeps me from playing a lot of games that are rated highly these days

You actually get a different jump as one of your abilities in VE which makes it feel less terrible. :lol: I am basically in the same boat you are with these three games.

2sappy 2sappy Bought/is buying Diofield. I have seen really good reviews for it.

The fact I still havent finished Chrono Cross and Wild Arms 1 (two games I love) means I have no time for new RPG's, let alone average ones. Heck, I still have Grandia remaster on my Switch I havent started. :smh:
The game is definitely longer than I thought it was going to be. It took me a while to actually get used to the mix of real time and tactical RPGs, but now that I got it, it's actually fun. :lol:
Super pro tip:
Max out assassinate as soon as you can and spam that **** whenever you can. It's so powerful for it's cost that it makes the game a breeze. There's only one character that can use it so you best believe he's a permanent fixture in my team. :lol:

24FB0E1A-50FA-466C-BEA7-2A0C02C28B3B.png
EFC126B1-FF1E-4A05-99E3-C86BBCFA4597.png
D8E9E277-DE29-43E7-BEDE-20D94D53D7E6.png

Pre-ordered Tactics Ogre, so I will drop my impressions once I have a few hours invested on the weekend!
Did you play the original? I’d love to give it a go but I’m not that good with Tactics games and I think I read that this game is hard.

I’ll probably still waste money on it down the line :lol:

No actually. I played Let Us Cling Together on PSP, where they addressed the difficulty and made it a bit more forgiving (i.e. you could undo like 30 or 50 moves or something if I remember correctly). I have heard the original is pretty difficult.

I have read Reborn actually has a *ton* of quality of life improvements, but they are trying to strike a balance of difficulty and accessibility. Apparently in the OG, the AI was just relentless but they have toned it down a bit.

I am really interested to see how it holds up against modern takes like Triangle Strategy or Fell Seal, who have really built on the genre.

Nice. I hope it turns out well.

I scooped Star Ocean from the Target B2G1. I bought a disc version PS5 for my son so I’ll have to wait until he opens it for Christmas before I can play. Luckily I already have plenty to play.

Found an article:

"Addition of the Party Level
The party level is the level of your army as a whole, which serves as a level cap for individual units. The party level cap rises gradually as players advance through the story, preventing players from grinding to arbitrarily high levels to brute force their way through battles.

The introduction of the party level makes the use of each unit more important, better emphasizing the tactical nature of the game.

Since the party level is set slightly higher than the level of enemy units, it should no longer feel as if the difficulty jumps sharply after leveling up. Players can easily raise their units’ levels through training battles and charms, so even first-time players should find the game approachable."

Found an article:

"Addition of the Party Level
The party level is the level of your army as a whole, which serves as a level cap for individual units. The party level cap rises gradually as players advance through the story, preventing players from grinding to arbitrarily high levels to brute force their way through battles.

The introduction of the party level makes the use of each unit more important, better emphasizing the tactical nature of the game.

Since the party level is set slightly higher than the level of enemy units, it should no longer feel as if the difficulty jumps sharply after leveling up. Players can easily raise their units’ levels through training battles and charms, so even first-time players should find the game approachable."
I played a little bit last night. Some thoughts/observations:
  • The way you answer the questions when you start a new game determines your starting stat bonuses. If you wanna go for a certain build, you gotta answer certain ways
  • Party level is cool, but seeing the message "party cap reached" when you beat a mission and gain no XP from it leaves my RPG brain just a tiny bit annoyed. :lol:
  • Game looks great for a PSP remaster. And the fully voiced lines are a pleasant change.
  • You don't have to walk around collecting the loot bag drops when you defeat an enemy. They are collected at the end of the mission. The enemy can walk up to them and take the stuff however, so you might want to pick and choose what you get off the floor.
  • You can very quickly get overwhelmed by enemies and taken out if you don't pay attention to positioning. I learned that lesson very early. :lol:

Really enjoying Tactics Ogre Reborn. There is definitely some improvements made because I remember the first chapter being much more difficult (or maybe I just plan better as an adult lol).

Like Sappy said, there are a lot of decisions that effect your playthrough. Just like FF Tactics, secret characters can only be accessed via certain dialogue routes. The quality of life improvements are also great.

It really is a great time to be a fan of strategy RPG's. Now I only hope they could put this much love in to a FF Tactics remaster.

Really enjoying Tactics Ogre Reborn. There is definitely some improvements made because I remember the first chapter being much more difficult (or maybe I just plan better as an adult lol).

Like Sappy said, there are a lot of decisions that effect your playthrough. Just like FF Tactics, secret characters can only be accessed via certain dialogue routes. The quality of life improvements are also great.

It really is a great time to be a fan of strategy RPG's. Now I only hope they could put this much love in to a FF Tactics remaster.
I have to assume that this is a test run for FF Tactics. How would you say TO compares to Triangle Strategy and Fell Seal?

You can tell it is older for sure, and it definitely doesnt have the features those two do. However, it actually isnt THAT far off. The biggest difference for me is how is kind of expects you to know a few things (how inventory works, how to change class, ect) but a decent guide alleviates that. Honestly, the remaster team did a great job of including some quality of life changes like making crafting much easier, the menu make way more sense now, and allowing for training battles to level you squad and test new classes.

Obviously with Yasumi Matsano (I think is his name?) making both games, it is very similar to FF Tactics. Biggest difference being the ability cards on the battlefield in TO (which I like) and the party size of TO being almost double the ~6 of FFT.

Back
Top Bottom