"The Spin Move" in Basketball

d5

Me and my boy was having this discussion after seeing a highlight of Carmelo doing the spin move on LeBron in the last nuggets vs cavs game awhile ago.  Is it possible to do the spin move without traveling.  I'm not talking about spin move and switch to the other hand, but just a regular spin move.  I don't see how you can do that move without taking an extra step.

well the point of the move is to change direction, so you switch your other hand naturally. if you spin and sneak in a little off arm, it can be one of the deadliest moves in ones offensive arsenal.

Originally Posted by d5

Me and my boy was having this discussion after seeing a highlight of Carmelo doing the spin move on LeBron in the last nuggets vs cavs game awhile ago.  Is it possible to do the spin move without traveling.  I'm not talking about spin move and switch to the other hand, but just a regular spin move.  I don't see how you can do that move without taking an extra step.

your last bounce has to be at the same time as your first step into your spin...spin through your pivot and two steps to the rim

This dude right here has it down pat.
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
Nah, this is HORRENDOUS
laugh.gif
...not to mention he's rocking a bathing suit with 10 pound sandals
smh.gif
...I'm trying to find you a good tutorial.

A lot of dudes you'll see around rec leagues and highschool ball travel a lot while spinning.

But a lot of pros have it down.

It is possible to do, although most travel while doing it. (Especially in the NBA)

Melo's move against Bron/Varejao you're speaking of was a huge travel. When you watch the slow motion replay, he even takes an extra hop with his right foot at the beginning of the spin.

watch monta ellis do it. probably the most beautiful move in basketball right now.

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

This dude right here has it down pat.
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
Nah, this is HORRENDOUS
laugh.gif
...not to mention he's rocking a bathing suit with 10 pound sandals
smh.gif
...I'm trying to find you a good tutorial.

Damn, them crickets going hard...I could barely hear homie.

Can't front monta ellis has a deadly spin move so does chris paul. Its a move I hardly ever use but it can be effective.

i swear niketalk always comes in, in the clutch.

i was just watching vids of john wall and his spin move (one of the best) and literally practiced it in the gym for an hour straight (about 200x). you gotta feel the weight of ur opponent on u, once u have the step on him BAM! spin move. time to practice the spin move from the left side now....

There's the open court spin move and the spin to the basket move. The spin move in open court is harder but really is all about dribbling the ball in the spot where the opposite hand can pick it up. The one to the basket is just a quick pivot like this

I didn't see the play in question, but yes it is possible to do without travelling and yes many players do travel while doing it. Wade is notorious, he jumps twice on the same foot leading into his spin.

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

i swear niketalk always comes in, in the clutch.

i was just watching vids of john wall and his spin move (one of the best) and literally practiced it in the gym for an hour straight (about 200x). you gotta feel the weight of ur opponent on u, once u have the step on him BAM! spin move. time to practice the spin move from the left side now....
i really hope you aren't just practicing for rec league 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BangDak

It never gets called anyway, so no one really bothers perfecting it.

qft, dudes could hop step and do a spin move and they dont call it
laugh.gif

Watch highlights of Penny during the 90s, he practically perfected the spin move but his was a not a full spin and he dribbled after the completed the spin. He even had a counter where he would have a half spin a step back for a jumper

Back
Top Bottom