The Top 25 Best Black Sitcoms of All Time

I like how people are saying the list is wrong because they don't agree with it :lol:. I think it was pretty obvious that The Cosby Show was going to be number one, if you didn't think so then I don't know what to say.

For a lot of us, I think it's more about what the show did for the community.

Not just personal preference.

I know someone questioned Different strokes even being on the list but what that show did to integrate cultures was pretty huge. Same with the Jeffersons.

My favorite show of all time is Martin. Literally every episode is funny. I knew this list would have The Cosby Show first though due to it being number one in the ratings for so  long.
Martin is #1 on my list..

I can only imagine how good the show would've been if there was aloud to cuss like the chappelle show..
Repped 
nthat.gif

I get sad when I think about the death of the black sitcom 
mean.gif

why can't shows like this exist now?

View media item 268487
i don't know what that means

It means ain't nobody got time for a good black sitcom. Apparently people like watching the same cop or reality shows. Really really stupid reality shows. I say good black sitcom because the madness that is Tyler Perry has 2 shows currently and they're garbage.

For a lot of us, I think it's more about what the show did for the community.

Not just personal preference.

I know someone questioned Different strokes even being on the list but what that show did to integrate cultures was pretty huge. Same with the Jeffersons.
if thats the case then richard pryor and flip wilson should def be up there..... then also the chappelle show the chris rock show....

I like the list. Haven't seen a few o fthose shows though.

A few of those I have seen that I hated are: Family Matters, Jamie Foxx Show, and The Wayans Bros

Honorable Mentions

Half & Half

The Parent 'Hood

Malcolm & Eddie

The Hughleys

All of Us

Amen

One on One (before she went to college)

House of Payne (yes I watched it wasnt too bad)

Malcolm & Eddie

Smart Guy

Cool list, but one show I feel you should've added is Malcolm & Eddie.

"The top 25 best Black USA sitcoms of all time"

I doubt anyone on NT has ever seen Desmond's, but it should be held in at least the same regard and esteem as The Cosby show -It helped revolutionize the way black culture was perceived in the UK 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
was rolling in my grave early but once I finished the list I couldn't knock it

sucks the only black shows we get now = reality trash

remember being 4 watching a different world w/ my uncles (they were teens at the time).....obviously I didn't remember any of the episodes but I appreciate the reruns that come on now 

I was too young to appreciate "ROC"

I remember they had some live eps and "serious" subject matter.
I assume I missed out

ROC was a good show. I knew it wouldn't last because of the content. I'm hoping they make it available on dvd/blu ray some day. VERY good show IMO. It was sort of a tv peek into life in Baltimore before The Wire depicted it.

Terrible order

Yeah, I would def rearrange the order

where the hell is my wife and kids?

and the list isn't that bad, i would just switch up the order a little.

My Wife and Kids should be left off imo. It started out ok, but like Jhawk said, the jokes after season 1 got super corny (and Wayanized as I like to call it). Plus they switched Claire from the darksinned actress to the lighter one. I wasn't feeling that move at all, especially for that character and what she represented. My Brother and Me? Keenan and Kel? Come on man, I like those shows but those were geared towards a younger demo. If you wanted to go Niche, and say Black kids shows, then they should be on the list.

Honorable Mentions

Half & Half

The Parent 'Hood

Malcolm & Eddie

The Hughleys

All of Us

Amen

One on One (before she went to college)

House of Payne (yes I watched it wasnt too bad)

Malcolm & Eddie

Smart Guy

My man got Malcolm and Eddie twice :lol:. I liked that show too. Smart Guy is another one I felt should have been on. I mean a single black father with his own business with two smart kids and an average one holding it down :smokin. I swear I was looking for reruns last week hoping I would see something. The Hughleys had a great start, but it got the shaft from ABC. It was the #1 rated new show in it's first season, then fell off a cliff :frown:.

No love for The Big House? :lol:

People forget Kevin Hart came out the box with his own sitcom

To be honest, I watch some re-runs of these shows when they come on, some are less funny but still funny. However, when I watch Martin (and I have seasons 1-4) when they show it on TV I STILL laugh at the joke knowing the line and timing. Classic, word to almond brown :lol:

Besides Family Matters being so high the list was pretty on point.

Would have had Martin in the Top 3 also but the shows in front of it were great so its no big deal.

Also I agree with a lot of people in this thread when they say we need more Black sitcoms.

It was a rumor Martin got a new show with CBS so hopefully that gets the ball rolling

My man got Malcolm and Eddie twice
laugh.gif
. I liked that show too. Smart Guy is another one I felt should have been on. I mean a single black father with his own business with two smart kids and an average one holding it down
smokin.gif
. I swear I was looking for reruns last week hoping I would see something. The Hughleys had a great start, but it got the shaft from ABC. It was the #1 rated new show in it's first season, then fell off a cliff
frown.gif

No love for The Big House?
laugh.gif

People forget Kevin Hart came out the box with his own sitcom
Malcolm and Eddie was funny. Man I forgot about the Smart guy I agree it was a good premise.

The list is cool. A lot of the shows that you guys feel should be added were good shows but they really had NO impact on black culture as a whole. Think about it

Switch #4 and #5 around and I'm at least cool with the Top 5 being in that order, although a good argument can be made for Sanford and Son being at #2.

Martin should be top 2

Shocked Boondocks is even on the list

I was never a big Cosby fan

I can't watch Family Matters anymore. Watched it as a kid but that show is AWFUL

Moesha should be top 10

Never like the Bernie Mac show (huge Bernie Mac fan)

Jamie Foxx show should be higher

This list just reminded me of LL's "In the House" :rofl: that was my show

Back
Top Bottom