The U.S. Agrees, iPhone is NOT most popular phone

[h1]
Report: BlackBerry Curve overtakes iPhone as most popular smartphone[/h1]
Mon May 4, 2009 10:23AM

Chalk it up to the fact that the Curve is available on the four biggest U.S. carriers, not to mention a two-for-one sale on Verizon Wireless. Also in the topfive for the first quarter of 2009: The Storm and the T-Mobile G1.The NPD Group just released its U.S. smartphone sales numbers for Q1, and according to their numbers,RIM had BlackBerrys in three of the top five positions, and managed to topple the iPhone 3G from the top of the list.

Despite its early launch woes, the touchscreen BlackBerry Storm appears to be selling strongly, coming in a No. 3 onNPD's list behind the Curve and the iPhone 3G.

After the Storm comes the ever-popular BlackBerry Pearl-which, like the Curve, is available on all four major U.S. carriers-followed by the Android-powered G1 on T-Mobile.

So, how did the Curve manage to overtake the iPhone 3G? Well, as the NPD group notes, availability on all the big carriers always helps (the iPhone is, ofcourse, still only on AT&T), as well as its $99 (with a new two-year contract) price tag. Meanwhile, Verizon Wireless probably helped boost Curve saleswith its "buy one, get one free" promotion, according to NPD.

And here's a potentially worrying trend for Apple: the NPD found that RIM's share of the smartphone market rose a solid 15 percent to a full 50percent, while both Apple and Palm (which didn't land a handset in the top 5) both saw their shares fall 10 percent.

Of course, it could be that smartphone shoppers are holding off on both iPhones (given that a new model might be announced as early as next month) and Palmhandsets (seeing as the red-hot Pre will likely go on sale in a matterof weeks).

Then again, never underestimate BlackBerry, which still has some of the best smartphones in the business and has price and availability on its side, whereasthe cheapest, AT&T-only iPhone 3G remains at a somewhat lofty $199 (with contract).

Blackberry Curve
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

We needed a news article to tell us this?

No but on NT everyone is saying the iPhone is this and that and that "everyone" wants one. Appearantly not everyone. Basically majority of the U.S.doesnt want that overated, gassed up iPod.

No but on NT everyone is saying the iPhone is this and that and that "everyone" wants one. Appearantly not everyone. Basically majority of the U.S. doesnt want that overated, gassed up iPod.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that everyone doesn't "want" one - just that they can't have one.

A bit like saying that Mercedes isn't the most desirable car in the US because Ford sells more.

Originally Posted by kdawg

No but on NT everyone is saying the iPhone is this and that and that "everyone" wants one. Appearantly not everyone. Basically majority of the U.S. doesnt want that overated, gassed up iPod.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that everyone doesn't "want" one - just that they can't have one.

A bit like saying that Mercedes isn't the most desirable car in the US because Ford sells more.

Everybody can get one (iPhone). It is not that much expensive (around a $100 more). More corporations just use BlackBerry more. More people find theBlackberry easy to use. It is hard to say. If your implying that people cant get one (iPhone) due to their credit then that is understandable.

U cant compare a car to a cell phone.

Considering that the iPhone is likely rolling out a 3rd-generation model in the summer and consequently outdating the current models, that might help toexplain some part of this report.

laugh.gif
why does it always get like this? Blackberry users/iPhone users, Mac/PC, PS3/360 seems like the people that can't afford/buy out of theircontracts/pass credit checks, etc are always so mad and have to make it seem like whatever they have is superior and THAT is the reason they own it...when weknow it isn't the case.

OP what "corporation" are you employed by?

Not to mention every big company issues corporate Blackberries, not corporate Iphones. I had bad experiences with my Iphone and ATT coverage is buns in my city- I used to have 8800 and OG Iphone... I resolved to just an 8900 and an Ipod.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

laugh.gif
why does it always get like this? Blackberry users/iPhone users, Mac/PC, PS3/360 seems like the people that can't afford/buy out of their contracts/pass credit checks, etc are always so mad and have to make it seem like whatever they have is superior and THAT is the reason they own it...when we know it isn't the case.

When many people purchase products, particularly expensive ones they feel a sense of pride and physiologically invest stock with the company telling themselvesand others that they have the best. I say why cant you buy what you like and keep it moving.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

laugh.gif
why does it always get like this? Blackberry users/iPhone users, Mac/PC, PS3/360 seems like the people that can't afford/buy out of their contracts/pass credit checks, etc are always so mad and have to make it seem like whatever they have is superior and THAT is the reason they own it...when we know it isn't the case.

DC Government if that has any relevance. Nobody is mad in this thread (maybe u tho), I have A- Credit so I can get whatever phone I want WITHOUTputting a deposit unlike some that just want to stunt (not saying people on here are) but that IMO is what an iPhone is, something that is very overated thatpeople really dont need. A phone mixed with an iPod. with an outrageous data plan. I seen people from co-workers to friends sell an Arm, Leg and Foot just toget this phone
smh.gif
. Only to NOT like its features or thefact that AT&T has horrible data (just from what Im hearing) not to mention the fact that there plan is sky high while I pay under $100 for Unlimitedeverything with my BlackBerry
pimp.gif

Here let me help you out. The Blackberry should always be over the iPhone for 1 reason, the U.S. government use it. Hell I am in the Army and the high rankingofficers go to war with BB. So many damn COL walking around Iraq on their BBs it just aint right.

iPhone FTW though.

Back
Top Bottom