The U.... vol. Death Penalty?

You guys watch too much ESPN.

The Death Penalty is not happening. It's not even an option. If the NCAA wanted to come down as hard as possible on UM, there still wouldn't be a death penalty. It has been eliminated from their guidelines as a possible punishment.

One thing that's been overlooked, and I'm loving, is how ESPN got beat to the punch...again by this uber-investigative reporter at Yahoo!

Didn't he work on the OSU and Oregon stories too?

ESPN doesn't bother with this type of reporting they would rather focus their time on Tim Tebow's controversy, what Tiger Woods means to America and how the Yankees feel about their playing time.

Yahoo dudes to their credit have found a niche and are going full steam ahead, yeah this is several stories now they have broken.

The U earns way too much money from tv deals and provides way too much money to the school for the death penalty to be considered. It's not going to happen. SMU and The U are way different schools.

ohwell.gif
damn doesnt look good

Originally Posted by SCuse7

no death penalty because they know this happens at a lot of schools

i agree it happens at a lot of schools, but where is the ncaa going to draw the line? Compared to USC's and Ohio State's scandals, this Miami stuff is on a completely different level. In my opinion, if they don't go hard on them, they're sending a message that this isn't a big deal to them. If there's a time for the NCAA to take a stand, this is their time to do so.

I don't think they will get the death penalty for the potential of twhat it does not only for the athletic department but foe the perception of the conference, an academic conference like the ACC.

Not that the ACC would crumble like the SWC did but I'm sure they don't went to be associated with a death penalty. The NCAA won't drop that big of a hammer again.

Originally Posted by jdizzle75

The U earns way too much money from tv deals and provides way too much money to the school for the death penalty to be considered. It's not going to happen. SMU and The U are way different schools.
Miami fans keep saying this, but I see alot of similarities. Also, Miami is big enough that they can be made an example of, but they aren't on the level of a Texas, Florida, Ohio State, etc...Go back and look at some of the harsher penalties that have been given out by the NCAA, alot of them are to small private schools. I dont think Miami gets the death penalty, but it will be much harsher than what USC got.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

no death penalty because they know this happens at a lot of schools
Do players get benefits at a lot of schools?  Yes.  Do players get benefits to the degree seen in this case at a lot of schools?  Hell no.

anyone who seen the 30 for 30 on SMU or knows anything about what the death penalty did to SMU knows its zero chance in hell NCAA uses it again. could miami recover faster then a small program like SMU did? ya, but the NCAA will not take that chance

Originally Posted by CAto312

One thing that's been overlooked, and I'm loving, is how ESPN got beat to the punch...again by this uber-investigative reporter at Yahoo!

Didn't he work on the OSU and Oregon stories too?

laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]. i laughed at that too. I get my news else where. they are always hours, in some cases days ahead of ESPN. i heard about this a few days ago, and then Yahoo! dropped the final story like woa.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]the only thing espn is good for imo is post game or game recaps. (MNF also, obviously).[/color]

Originally Posted by fearthenut

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

The story has been out a day and already the holes in his story are adding up.

Like what?

On Olivier Vernon's accusation page, Shapiro claims to have watched the 2008 UM/FSU game in Shapiro's box with Vernon (recruit at the time); Shapiro claims they stayed in the suite until almost midnight. Yet on Robert Marve's accusation page, Shapiro claims to have racked up over $1,600 at Cameo for players that same night with a credit card statement showing a transaction date of 10/4/08. How could Shapiro travel 19 miles from the stadium to Cameo while it was raining, spend $1,600 and pay the tab all before midnight? If Shapiro closed his tab that night after midnight, then the credit card statement would show a transaction date of 10/5/08.

An ex-Nebraska football player alleged to have accepted extra benefits from a former Miami booster acknowledges he was on a yacht owned by Nevin Shapiro — but not while he was in college. Benard Thomas' name appeared in a Yahoo! Sports report on allegations by Shapiro, the former booster and convicted Ponzi schemer. Thomas tells The Associated Press that he and high school teammate D.J. Williams were on the yacht with Shapiro but in 2005, not in 2003 as Shapiro alleges. Thomas said he was a free agent with the Jacksonville Jaguars at the time and that he had flown to Miami to hang out with Williams. Thomas' last season at Nebraska was 2004. He said he wouldn't have broken NCAA rules while in school.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.newser.com/art...-but-in-2005-not-03.html[/font]

Shapiro alleges that he took Spence, Johnson, Forston and possibly others to Benihana for dinner.  The proof is an $83 credit card receipt (and a $15 tip) and some unnamed source who vaguely alleges that he/she saw them there together.  That's right an $83 tab.

I'm not sure what coupons he brought with him, but there is absolutely no way Shapiro could take 3 to 5 people to Benihana and buy them all food and drink for $83.  A good entree is in the $40 range.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[table][/table]
  • It is not a NCAA violation that Shapiro had access to the Orange Bowl press box in 2007.  The more you donate to the University of Miami Athletic Department, the more you have access to special privileges, including flying on a charter jet with the team, sideline passes, locker room passes, access to practices, and leading the team on the field.  This is called an “incentive.

According to published sources, Sean Allen worked for Nevin Shapiro's sports agency (in 2008) and another business in the "private sector", and this report on CBS (http://eye-on-college-football.blogs.cbssports.co m/mcc/blogs/view/24156338) that states that Sean Allen worked at UM from 2001-2005 and returned in 2009 as an as an assistant equipment manager, thus Sean Allen was seemingly not an employee of the university when the $20,000 check was written or when he allegedly took players out in 2008.
Here's the check, which is dated November 2008, and which can found on the Yahoo report site here  
1313226562.jpg

in fact, the Yahoo article confirms that Allen was not employed at UM from sometime in 2005 until August 2009, here:
Miami career: Allen was a student manager for the Hurricanes from 2001 to 2005 . From 2005 to 2007 , he worked for sports agency ventures for both Nevin Shapiro (Axcess Sports for nine months) and Luther Campbell (Luke Sports & Entertainment for 14 months). After 16 months in the private sector, Allen again returned to work for Shapiro for six months as a consultant on a potential sports representation firm called “The Players Agency.

Article by: ERIC OLSON , Associated Press Updated: August 17, 2011 - 10:28 AM OMAHA, Neb. -

An ex-Nebraska football player alleged to have accepted extra benefits from a former Miami booster acknowledges he was on a yacht owned by Nevin Shapiro — but not while he was in college. Benard Thomas' name appeared in a Yahoo! Sports report on allegations by Shapiro, the former booster and convicted Ponzi schemer. Thomas tells The Associated Press that he and high school teammate D.J. Williams were on the yacht with Shapiro but in 2005, not in 2003 as Shapiro alleges. Thomas said he was a free agent with the Jacksonville Jaguars at the time and that he had flown to Miami to hang out with Williams. Thomas' last season at Nebraska was 2004. He said he wouldn't have broken NCAA rules while in school.

Its a 4 year statute of limitations on most NCAA violations

I doubt anything crazy happened under Shannon so the penalty might not be as bad

Scholarships and Bowls might be the harshes penalty

Originally Posted by University of Nike

One check down, 83,745 pieces of evidence to go.

Your obsession with Miami is never ending.

This dudes story is already looking shaky.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

One check down, 83,745 pieces of evidence to go.

laugh.gif
this had me laughing.

I admire and respect the U; hell two of my favorite NFL players in this current era are Sean Taylor (RIP) and Ed Reed...but didn't SC get penalized for less damning and less amounts of evidence?  Unfortunately, I cannot see this ending well in Coral Gables.

I don't see them getting the death penalty, but this seems like a career-defining case for these NCAA investigators.
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom