The U.... vol. Death Penalty?

D

Deleted member 37754

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]So for the last couple of days I've been following what seemed to be a minor to extremely Major story. Didn't see a thread on this. I Love The U.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]here is the original Yahoo story:[/color]
Spoiler [+]
[h1]Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players[/h1]
robinson.png

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports Aug 16, 5:37 pm EDT

1313263455.jpg

Nevin Shapiro and a second source said this photoof the booster and Kellen Winslow Jr. was taken in Shapiro’s VIPsection of Opium Garden nightclub in 2003.

KEARNY, N.J. – A University of Miami booster, incarcerated for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, has told Yahoo! Sports he provided thousands of impermissible benefits to at least 72 athletes from 2002 through 2010.

In 100 hours of jailhouse interviews during Yahoo! Sports’ 11-month investigation, Hurricanes booster Nevin Shapiro described a sustained, eight-year run of rampant NCAA rule-breaking, some of it with the knowledge or direct participation of at least seven coaches from the Miami football and basketball programs. At a cost that Shapiro estimates in the millions of dollars, he said his benefits to athletes included but were not limited to cash, prostitutes, entertainment in his multimillion-dollar homes and yacht, paid trips to high-end restaurants and nightclubs, jewelry, bounties for on-field play (including bounties for injuring opposing players), travel and, on one occasion, an abortion.

Also among the revelations were damning details of Shapiro’s co-ownership of a sports agency – Axcess Sports & Entertainment – for nearly his entire tenure as a Hurricanes booster. The same agency that signed two first-round picks from Miami, Vince Wilfork and Jon Beason, and recruited dozens of others while Shapiro was allegedly providing cash and benefits to players. In interviews with federal prosecutors, Shapiro said many of those same players were also being funneled cash and benefits by his partner at Axcess, then-NFL agent and current UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue. Shapiro said he also made payments on behalf of Axcess, including a $50,000 lump sum to Wilfork, as a recruiting tool for the agency.

In an effort to substantiate the booster’s claims, Yahoo! Sports audited approximately 20,000 pages of financial and business records from his bankruptcy case, more than 5,000 pages of cell phone records, multiple interview summaries tied to his federal Ponzi case, and more than 1,000 photos. Nearly 100 interviews were also conducted with individuals living in six different states. In the process, documents, photos and 21 human sources – including nine former Miami players or recruits, and one former coach – corroborated multiple parts of Shapiro’s rule-breaking.

While the NCAA declined comment, Miami associate AD for communications Chris Freet told Yahoo! Sports the school has been cooperating with an NCAA probe to unravel claims the booster has made to investigators. He added that the university unsuccessfully sought an interview with the booster last summer.

This package of Axcess Sports documents shows Nevin Shapiro’s stake in the agency, which signed two first round picks from the Hurricanes - Vince Wilfork and Jon Beason. It includes a balance sheet from 2007 which shows Shapiro’s initial $1.5 million investment in the agency in 2003. It also shows the year-end filing reports from the agency which add Shapiro as a co-owner in February 2004 - more than a year after Shapiro says he first started recruiting Miami players for the agency. Shapiro remained on the filings through 2008, when the agency eventually halted operations. PDF file
(Special to Yahoo! Sports)

“When Shapiro made his allegations nearly a year ago, he and his attorneys refused to provide any facts to the university,

1. There is an 80 page college football thread

2. Miami wont get the death penalty but it will be harsher than USC

3. They have more proof than a couple of pictures...

We aren't getting no damn death penalty, relax.  We'll get slapped for it, but no death penalty. 

Classic case of a loser trying to buy friends....these players didn't give 2 %$#@ about the dude. Used him for their money....while he was using them for their "celebrity." He's scum. Straight up. Miami is in some SERIOUS %$#@. If he ever gets out of prison, he better relocate.

I don't think they will get the death penalty. This is a major college program, that has a rich (although short) history, and tradition of winning. Miami is a major player in college football. We aren't talking about SMU here.

However, the allegations are serious. It's not looking good.

We all can only sit back and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

1. There is an 80 page college football thread [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]- this isn't about actual football (on the field). something separate. so i'll make separate thread. relax bro.[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]reading is fundamental.

[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]dadecounty11 wrote:
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]yea man.[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]
I think it'll be a lot worse than USC as well. Al Golden, fromt he vids i've seen, seems like a great guy. Something the U program needed. The guy was thrown into the fire something tough. And the AD knew about it and didn't even give him a heads up. No good man. right there with you stilln729.
[/color]

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

I don't think they will get the death penalty. This is a major college program, that has a rich (although short) history, and tradition of winning. Miami is a major player in college football. We aren't talking about SMU here.

However, the allegations are serious. It's not looking good.

You really need to read up on SMU. When they got the death penalty they were more relevant than Miami is right now. In the six years before the death penalty SMU was 52-19. What's the U's record in the last 6 years? 44-32. Sorry, Miami isn't that good anymore.

But you are right, Miami will not get the death penalty unless they can prove a major violation of "lack of institutional control". It has the potential, but I don't think it will happen. The reason SMU got the death penalty is because the Athletic Department were the ones funneling the money to players. That's the only way you'll see another death penalty.

As an alum and booster I'm so disappointed, and we all knew this was going to happen. A few of us wrote letters to Shalala  and other administrators, and never heard a response. Not one. Everyone was wonder why Haithe and Kirby left at the same time.

Randy Shannon almost got into a fight with this guy, he was always at practice. Coaches were driving players to the dudes house.
30t6p3b.gif

Tyrone Moss, knew since middle school.
30t6p3b.gif

Jon Beason.
30t6p3b.gif

For those who are sayin the U won't get the death penalty, why wouldn't they? (cause the NCAA sucks) While this type of *$%# goes on at other schools, it was obv. nowhere close to this level, either way the U will never be a premier program for a long time after this imo.

This is ugly.

I don't really want them to get the death penalty, but if this @!%! gets verified, then they're gonna get worse than USC. Probably the harshest punishment esp if that 4 year statute gets thrown out of the window if they get the repeat offender + knowingly allowing this to go on.

Dees being involved just multiplies it. If he wasn't involved then maybe punishments are harsh, but not as harsh as I expect.

Originally Posted by rashi

Randy Shannon almost got into a fight with this guy, he was always at practice. Coaches were driving players to the dudes house.
30t6p3b.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]for all of the things i didn't like about Randy Shannon... something i loved was when i first read about him threatening to fire coaches, if they are involved with anything illegal, and keeping scum away. Did that lead to locking everyone and everything out? yes... it is what it is, different subject.
  With that said as well there are boosters and there are scum, let's be clear on that. It's just a real ugly situation. Just waiting to hear now what's going to happen.[/color]

Originally Posted by University of Nike

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

the U will never be a premier program for a long time after this imo.

They haven't been for years, so nothing will change.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Didn't Oregon JUST become relevant like yesterday? oh... ok. nvm.[/color]

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

For those who are sayin the U won't get the death penalty, why wouldn't they? (cause the NCAA sucks) While this type of *$%# goes on at other schools, it was obv. nowhere close to this level, either way the U will never be a premier program for a long time after this imo.

The death penalty is so serious, that I feel the only way to get it is to actively be a part of the money. Turning a blind eye is one thing, proof that they were handing out the cash is another.

Originally Posted by im that one

1. There is an 80 page college football thread [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]- this isn't about actual football (on the field). something separate. so i'll make separate thread. relax bro.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]reading is fundamental.

[/color]
That thread isn't exclusively for on the field stuff. There's already 3+ pages posted in that thread about this. By making a separate thread it just ignores comments that have been made by other posters which leads to the same stuff being repeated in here that has already been said in the official college football topic.

30t6p3b.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]for all of the things i didn't like about Randy Shannon... something i loved was when i first read about him threatening to fire coaches, if they are involved with anything illegal, and keeping scum away. Did that lead to locking everyone and everything out? yes... it is what it is, different subject.
  With that said as well there are boosters and there are scum, let's be clear on that. It's just a real ugly situation. Just waiting to hear now what's going to happen.[/color]

Trust me, this story hasn't even scratched the surface. You think it's bad now, just wait and see when more info comes out.

This guy is not liked at all, he wanted to put a damn stripper pole in his suite at Land Shark Stadium
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
He was always popping out the mouth to everyone, he had no respect.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

Originally Posted by CP1708

We aren't getting no damn death penalty, relax.  We'll get slapped for it, but no death penalty. 

Quoted for future signature use.
laugh.gif
,I don't think they'll get the death penalty though. They're a major college program.

30t6p3b.gif

Trust me, this story hasn't even scratched the surface. You think it's bad now, just wait and see when more info comes out.

This guy is not liked at all, he wanted to put a damn stripper pole in his suite at Land Shark Stadium
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
He was always popping out the mouth to everyone, he had no respect.

eek.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]..... [/color]
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)].[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]wow man.... wow. god i hope more doesn't surface. too much already.[/color]

Originally Posted by YoungBuck32

That thread isn't exclusively for on the field stuff. There's already 3+ pages posted in that thread about this. By making a separate thread it just ignores comments that have been made by other posters which leads to the same stuff being repeated in here that has already been said in the official college football topic.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]So if I or anyone else made a "Official Miami U" thread then would you be saying the same thing? Or would you have said what you said twice to boost your count and/or get your point across about a team you like, love, follow, are interested in or whatever else? I saw and see this as a separate issue from that thread and wanted to address it accordingly. Feel free to only post in there bro. Way to contribute. [/color]

[h1]Credibility of NCAA enforcement will be tested by Miami allegations[/h1]
Stewart Mandel, SI.com

Reading through Yahoo! Sports' bombshell expose about former Miami booster Nevin Shapiro, my blood boiled thicker with every paragraph. But who exactly was I angry at?

Strangely, it wasn't Shapiro, the jocksniffing, 5-foot-5 sleazebucket with one hell of a Napolean complex. The man comes off mostly pathetic for thinking the 18- and 19-year-olds whom he took to nightclub VIP rooms, bought prostitutes for and handed over the keys to his yacht were actually his friends -- the kind of friends, mind you, who inexplicably abandoned him when he got sent to jail for his part in a $930-million Ponzi scheme.

Certainly it wasn't the players, who, though they knowingly jeopardized their eligibility and flaunted their status as football players, could no more resist the temptations of South Beach than any other 18- or 19-year-old. We didn't get mad at Ohio State players for getting free tattoos; we got mad at their coach for finding out and doing nothing about it.

It probably should be Miami president Donna Shalala, the long-outspoken advocate for her football program who recently bragged to ESPN the Magazine about monitoring the sidelines on game days for suspicious guests, yet was caught on camera, beaming over a $50,000 donation from the rogue booster himself. But no, not angry -- that picture's too funny. (She should still resign first thing Wednesday.)

Actually, one man towers over this story, even though he's only briefly mentioned: Former Miami athletic director Paul Dee.

Dee, you may recall, was the Committee on Infractions chairman for USC's much-publicized case last summer involving former stars Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo. It was Dee who, in announcing some of the stiffest penalties of the last 20 years (a two-year bowl ban and 30 docked scholarships), closed with the preachy reminder that "high-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance."

Dee, Miami's AD during most of the period covering Shapiro's allegations, is retired and no longer under NCAA jurisdiction. Still, it seems only fair he should spend a day at USC's Heritage Hall wearing a sandwich board with the word "Hypocrite."

See if this sounds familiar: "We didn't have any suspicion that he was doing anything like this. He didn't do anything to cause concern."

I'm fairly certain I heard Pete Carroll say something to that effect, repeatedly, about Bush's time at USC. He insisted there's no way he or anyone else at the school could have known that Bush's parents were living the high life in San Diego -- a defense Dee and his committee sharply rebuked.

But no, those were the words of Dee himself, Tuesday, to the Palm Beach Post, in regards to Shapiro's allegations. Seriously. The same guy whose committee lamented the access outsiders had to the Trojans' locker room and sidelines also told the Post that, " [Shapiro] would come by, ask to go out to practice and we would send one of our staffers to accompany him."

You can't make this stuff up.

In seriousness, the USC and Miami cases do share much in common, starting with the fact Yahoo!'s impeccable investigative ace, Charles Robinson, broke both stories. The amounts of documentation and eyewitness corroboration that accompany Shapiro's allegations make them nearly impossible to refute.

Both involve glamour programs in large, pro-dominated cities that tend to attract rich bandwagon hangers-on. Some, like Will Ferrell at USC, just like to watch football. Others, like Shapiro, covet the adulation of athletic 19-year-olds.

Both involve figures that tried to haphazardly get in on the sports-representation business. Unlike Lloyd Lake and Michael Michaels, who never did get that payday endorsement deal from Bush, Shapiro apparently succeeded, briefly, using his connections and wads of cash to sway former Hurricanes Vince Wilfork and Jon Beason to a sports agency he co-owned.

(Can we stop here for a second and take that one in? Two Miami players signed with an agency partly owned by one of its own boosters. If there were no other allegation in the entire report, that one on its own would make headlines.)

And now, here's where the two cases differed: USC's involved one football (Bush) and one basketball (Mayo) player. Yahoo's report implicates 73 athletes over an eight-year span, though Shapiro claims he gave impermissible benefits to 72.

The bagmen in the USC case did most of their dirty work in San Diego, far from the campus itself. Shapiro was an active Miami booster, so coveted for his donations he got to lead the team out of the tunnel, sit in the press box on game days, and had a lounge named in his honor.

And for all the hubbub over the Bush case, at the end of the day, USC gained no competitive advantage in football due to its running back's extra benefits. Miami, on the other hand, had assistant coaches allegedly arranging for recruits to meet Shapiro on their visits. On the basketball side, he allegedly paid $10,000 in 2007 explicitly to land a recruit, DeQuan Jones.

If USC got a two-year bowl ban and 30 docked scholarships, what should Miami get for an encyclopedia of allegations so tawdry as to make USC look like a bubble-gum shoplifter? Can you ban a team from the postseason for a decade? Can you take away 90 scholarships? Not likely. All that's seemingly left is the biggie -- the death penalty -- and it's entirely possible: Miami qualifies as a repeat violator for any violations before Feb. 27, 2008, stemming from it mid-90s Pell Grant scandal. But the NCAA hasn't gone there in 25 years.

Once again, the NCAA's entire enforcement process is under the microscope -- just a week after president Mark Emmert promised sweeping changes. The Committee on Infractions notoriously shows little-to-no consistency or adherence to precedent in issuing its verdicts, but Dee himself painted his former employer into a corner on this one. If you're going to rake one school over the coals for a single player's impermissible benefits, your entire credibility is at stake if you don't raise the consequences exponentially for a case involving 73.

But before we can even get to that, we have to go through the investigation -- and this one figures to be every bit as long and arduous as USC's four-year probe. (Investigators just arrived on campus Monday.) It's a sad but unavoidable indictment of the enforcement process that it takes a desperate, publicity-seeking con man like Shapiro for these violations to even come to light -- and even then only after Yahoo!'s reporters lay the groundwork.

In the meantime, this story has massive, immediate consequences for not only Miami but several programs around the country.

Among those named in Yahoo!'s report (which includes individual pages detailing the specific violations alleged against each player, many with audio of Shapiro's interviews with the feds) are current 'Canes quarterback Jacory Harris, receiver Travis Benjamin, safety Ray Ray Armstrong, linebacker Sean Spence and defensive tackle Marcus Forston -- some of the most important players on the team. Normal protocol says Miami declares them ineligible until their statuses are resolved and any found benefits can be repaid -- and that could take awhile. One former 'Cane accused of accepting benefits, quarterback Robert Marve, is now at Purdue. His status may now be in limbo as well. Ditto, Kansas State linebacker Arthur Brown.

And then there are the coaches. Yahoo! raises some pretty serious charges against former basketball coach Frank Haith, now at Missouri, If they're true they could cost him his job. Two former football assistants, Jeff Stoutland and Joe Pannunzio -- accused of taking recruits to Shapiro's home -- are now on Nick Saban's Alabama staff. The NCAA will have questions for them. Ditto, Clint Hurtt (Louisville) and Aubrey Hill (Florida). Unlike all those former 'Canes players now in the NFL, the active coaches are obligated to cooperate with investigators.

Meanwhile, two particular coaches go conspicuously unmentioned throughout Yahoo!'s report: Former head coaches Larry Coker and Randy Shannon. Apparently, they were unaware. Coker was oblivious enough in general to believe it, and it wouldn't surprise me if Shannon helped drive Shapiro away. By 2007 (Shannon's first season), Miami's compliance director, David Reed, was apparently so aggressive about policing player-booster contact it nearly drove a drunken Shapiro to punch him out in the press box.

And if Shannon was unaware of his players' off-campus activities, what chance did Dee have? Is a 60-something-year-old man supposed to hit the clubs on Friday night to check out who his players are hanging out with? Of course not. That's ridiculous.

Except that's exactly what he suggested USC should have been doing.

So go ahead, NCAA. Drop the hammer. If the Committee does in fact believe that high-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance, Miami took negligence to an entirely different level.

i was coming to post about this too, will Miami even have football anymore?
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Dude is in Jail for 20 years so he dont care. I always hear the death penalty thrown around (USC, OSU) but this one could be bad. Most likely nothing happens this season but next year, jeez

RyGuy45 wrote:
[h1]Meanwhile, two particular coaches go conspicuously unmentioned throughout Yahoo!'s report: Former head coaches Larry Coker and Randy Shannon. Apparently, they were unaware. Coker was oblivious enough in general to believe it, and it wouldn't surprise me if Shannon helped drive Shapiro away. By 2007 (Shannon's first season), Miami's compliance director, David Reed, was apparently so aggressive about policing player-booster contact it nearly drove a drunken Shapiro to punch him out in the press box.[/h1]

That's the thing I noticed so far too, neither head coach was even mentioned, not even a name drop.  That could mean they were just smart buried their heads in the sand, or they really didn't know anything, and maybe they can't go all in on the school.  But of course, Dee had to run his big mouth at USC. 
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom