The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

I would love that.

His hype took a last opportunity to shine for Villa :smh:

He's done in a Spain uniform. Del Bosque was the only one backing him and the new manager will most likely not want him. Most Spaniards thought it was a waste to pick him up, they already had good Strikers who were not even selected :smh:

R.I.P. to Diego Costa's national career. Karma :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: @ thinking any of Llorente, Negredo, Torres, Villa, etc are on Costa's level.

Talk about an overreaction.

The only 3 chances Spain had to score were created by him. He's clearly not 100% coming off the hamstring injury. He was still 2nd in La liga in scoring. This was like his 5th cap and he has had no time to gel with the team. All of his teammates played like garbage and he had no service. Please name me some other striker Spain has that is going to play well getting no service when Silva, Iniesta, Alonso, and Pedro are all having bad games too.

2 bad WC games doesn't change that. Should Messi and Ronaldo have been dropped from their WC squads in 2010? when they didn't score? This was like his 5th cap.

Torres has had at least 10-15 games for Spain where he has been complete garbage and he still gets called up every single time. But Costa is out after 2?

I don't even like him as a player that much but you dudes are sounding stupid right now. If Costa sucks because of these two bad games then so does Silva, Xavi, Alonso, Iniesta, Ramos, etc too

Last edited:
Why was jordi alba never subbed? Del bosque did a terrible job this yr..fabregas should have played a lot more

He shouldn't be on Spain because he's not Spanish, not because he's not good. He doesn't fit.

Now that Del Bosque will be gone, he may not get another chance. Thats the point.

I'm not sure whether Spain were just old, tired or not interested today. Probably all of those.

Croatia/Mexico will be fun.
Cameroon was embarrassing. Hope they already cashed those bonus checks.

This dude Costa was terrible lol.

I wondered, how is this guy, someone who doesn't know the philosophy of tiki-taka like the rest of the Spanish players do, fit into the whole system properly?

You need years of training with the system in order for it to flow properly like the rest of the squad, not some weeks under this system to master it :rolleyes.

But the system is outdated anyways, so nothing to worry about now.

I doubt Del bosque is getting fired or leaving. He'll still be the coach till the next euros

Last edited:
I finally got around to looking over Chelsea's schedule.
First big game in late September @ Citeh. I'm gonna be in LA that weekend. Gonna need you West Coast dudes to help me out. How the hell do you do a 4:45 or 5:30 AM kickoff? :lol:

Del Bosque is done, finished. As the old generation goes out, so does he.

Moving on, you guys have to look at this comedy from Mike Francesa. He knows nothing about football and ask's quite possibly the dumbest questions I've ever heard. How can you be a sports broadcaster and be this clueless. "Are players able to kick with both feet?" :lol: :rofl:

http://deadspin.com/mike-francesa-has-a-lot-of-dumb-questions-about-soccer-1592143944

Last edited:
The problem with this Spanish team is that like Barcelona, they got tired of winning. They've won 3 major tournaments consecutively. What else is there to prove? The hunger to win is not there. The fire to represent isn't there. Once you're at the top, there's only one way to go from there.

[quote name="jcs11702" url="/t/561201/the-ultimate-football-thread-2013-2014-vol-4-epl-la-liga-bundesliga-serie-a-etc/26700#post_20930815"]The problem with this Spanish team is that like Barcelona, they got tired of winning. They've won 3 major tournaments consecutively. What else is there to prove? The hunger to win is not there. The fire to represent isn't there. Once you're at the top, there's only one way to go from there.[/quote]

you're not actually serious, are you?

:smh:View media item 1034309:smh::smh:

Last edited:
IMO, the problem with Spain was the chemistry and leadership issues. Real Madrid became the dominant team the past couple of yeard

and though, Iker wore the armband, Ramos was the on field captain, you could tell Barca guys did not respect him and his own field decisions. Old Guard vs New Guard. Puyol and Casillas kept that team together, even though they hate each other. This photo never gets old.

Every dynasty falls eventually. Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Julius Caesar. All great men, but you can't fight the inevitable. Three consecutive major tournaments is an impressive feat in any modern sport given parity and uncontrollable factors such as injury, event site, etc.

Simple reasons for Espana's demise. Casillas' regression, lack of cohesion for their CB pairing, and tiki-taka is ineffective when chasing a lead. Also complacency from the human side.

Before this Tournament you could see the cracks appearing for Spain, I think alot of it was because the Barcelona players that once had a major influence on this team are now past there best or having major dips in form, Iniesta looked tired and a fraction of the player he once was, If im sticking my neck out I think he maybe has 1-2 more years at Barcelona tops, Pique has had injury problems and arguably been half the player since he hooked up with Shakira, Cesc hasn't been in form for 6 months and Xavi is looking like he is on his last legs, That move to Qatar is maybe not a bad deal for him.

When you look at the future of the Spanish team though it is clear they will be back in the close future with players like De Gea, Deulofeu, Carvajal, Isco, Jese, Koke etc.

What's exactly the style of play known as tiki-taka?

I've seen you guys Reference it a few times.

Is there a football / basketball style of place
Comparable ?

What's exactly the style of play known as tiki-taka?

I've seen you guys Reference it a few times.

Is there a football / basketball style of place
Comparable ?
Short quick tempo passing, usually one touch, all based around maintaining possession and trying to essentially cut the opponent open with the quick pace.

Used to work, but teams have found ways to restrict it, Chile last night, closing down, putting players under pressure, forcing mistakes from Spain.

Everyone is saying that tiki-taka is dead or that its code has been broken or whatever because Spain is out of the WC, and because of Barcelona's failures in the CL over the recent years. It's not dead. There just aren't any teams that are able to execute it properly because of various players being out of form or becoming old. Most notably Xavi, who was one of the most important, if not THE most important cog in he tiki-taka machinery for both Spain and Barcelona.

It's a system that you have to be able to run to perfection. But if you do, it's unstoppable, as long as the players within the system remember that the goal of the game is ultimately to score goals, and not simply complete passes and have a high possession percentage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom