The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Fabio to qpr on loan
Leon Best to blackburn for 3m (steal imo)
Carlos Cuellar from villa to sunderland free

Originally Posted by Demps

Longtime admirers AS Roma have reached a package deal with Chievo for midfield general Michael Bradley, leaving only completion of a personal terms agreement to send the US ace to the Eternal City.

A source close to the negotiations told MLSsoccer.com that Chievo will receive €3.5 million and midfielder Leandro Greco in exchange for the 24-year-old New Jersey native, if not also the free loan-out of Roma wing prospect Giammario Piscitella. It is expected that Bradley will ink either a contract that ties him to the Giallorossi until the summer of either 2015 or 2016, with the transfer potentially completed by Monday. Neither his agent nor Chievo replied to requests for comment.
thats awesome, he deserves it..son is a beast in midfield
i was thinking about pulling the trigger on the new Roma jersey..was going to get a De Rossi jersey, not anymore 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

And yet if you want to watch the very best players in the world, and the highest quality of technical football you should watch Spanish La Liga - in my opinion the best domestic competition in the world. Where you'll find tenth placed teams capable of passing English powerhouses off the park.

You're not alone in finding in tough to follow, as there's just so much football, and so little time. I find myself missing days past when I watched just about every game of significance free of any real responsibility.

sigh

I don't know about that.  Take out Madrid and Barce (outliers) and that league is okay
Bundesliga is the most competitive. 

English is the most accessible and because of this, probably the most exciting to watch.

Italian can be interesting, but I feel like the games can be at awkward times.  But I don't like Italian's style of play. 

Typical nonsense dolled out by Premiership fans. Accessibility= excitement? LOL. 
Obviously, the league is more than okay considering the highlighted statement, and the fact that 5 out of the 8 semifinalists in the European competitions were Spanish sides. Valencia, Athletic, Atletico, and Malaga are good sides. The latter in particular is poised to announce itself to the wider public in this years Champions league.  Levante and Sevilla are less talented than the others mentioned, but very solid as well. More importantly, the bottom half of the table has far more quality than any other league's bottom half. As we've seen at the highest levels, English punt and chase is no match for technical, possession-based football. Technical skill is what sets Spanish sides apart. 

If Madrid and Barca are outliers, so were City and United in the Premier League. And really, the vast majority of neutrals aren't watching City and United over Barca and Madrid. Besides, the latter two would make any league their own. 

Italian games can be awkward? What does that even mean? What's wrong with tactical football and organized defenses? Juve, Milan, Roma, and Napoli were all exceedingly watchable in my opinion. 

Word is that Wilshere won't be back until mid-September
30t6p3b.gif

Joel Campbell is going back on loan to Betis....still can't get a work permit
Japan didn't include Ryo in the final Olympic squad so he'll be around for pre-season
Didier Deschamps is no longer the manager of Marseilles. He's favored to be the new manager for France

As we've seen at the highest levels, English punt and chase is no match for technical, possession-based football. Technical skill is what sets Spanish sides apart. 

Exactly.  Maybe in the past you could say that The EPL was the best, but that league has been boring to watch for the past 5-6 years now. All that "EPL is competitive
pimp.gif
" is nonsense. 2-3 teams that regularly compete for the first spot versus 2. Damn, so much competition
eek.gif
  Huge point gap between 2nd and 3rd/4th place? Obviously has nothing to do with all the best players in the entire world being on these 2 teams. Clearly Stoke City would give them a hard time in the EPL (one of the most common EPL-fan comments). EPL has good teams top to bottom?? Damn, I forget how Aston Villa, Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, and Wolves have been killing European competition
pimp.gif

EPL is the most popular league based off marketing and hype, not actual skill and quality of play. Arsenal (and more recently Man City) is the only team that actually tries to play proper football. And I know people are gonna say "You only say that because they play like Barca" while ignoring the countless good "direct" and counter-attacking squads throughout Europe

Blame the idiots who make asinine comments like "Barca wouldn't survive in an EPL season because of Stoke City", not La Liga fans
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SFC415

As we've seen at the highest levels, English punt and chase is no match for technical, possession-based football. Technical skill is what sets Spanish sides apart. 
   Exactly.  Maybe in the past you could say that The EPL was the best, but that league has been boring to watch for the past 5-6 years now. All that "EPL is competitive
pimp.gif
" is nonsense. 2-3 teams that regularly compete for the first spot versus 2. Damn, so much competition
eek.gif
  Huge point gap between 2nd and 3rd/4th place? Obviously has nothing to do with all the best players in the entire world being on these 2 teams. Clearly Stoke City would give them a hard time in the EPL (one of the most common EPL-fan comments). EPL has good teams top to bottom?? Damn, I forget how Aston Villa, Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, and Wolves have been killing European competition
pimp.gif

EPL is the most popular league based off marketing and hype, not actual skill and quality of play. Arsenal and (occasionally Man City) is the only team that actually tries to play proper football.
Well I certainly wouldn't go that far. My comments were more defending La Liga than deriding the Premiership. I do think the Prem is exciting, but it's more based on atmosphere, and the unpredictability that comes with the style of play used by the majority of teams, rather than "accessibility."
Last season there were quite a few English teams I enjoyed watching. Arsenal, Swansea, City, Sunderland, and Spurs all played good football with varying degrees of effectiveness and attractiveness. 

Villa not extending Bradley a contract was the best thing that ever happened to him. He's grown so much as a player since moving to Italy - specifically the passing which has gotten so much more cultured and composed. Rooting for him to excel in Rome. 

being based in the US i feel the EPL is just by far the most accesible and i dont have nearly the same opportunity to be involved in la liga or serie a

Originally Posted by SFC415

pimp.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

EPL is the most popular league based off marketing and hype, not actual skill and quality of play. Arsenal and (occasionally Man City) is the only team that actually tries to play proper football.
Well I certainly wouldn't go that far. My comments were more defending La Liga than deriding the Premiership. I do think the Prem is exciting, but it's more based on atmosphere, and the unpredictability that comes with the style of play used by the majority of teams, rather than "accessibility."
Last season there were quite a few English teams I enjoyed watching. Arsenal, Swansea, City, Sunderland, and Spurs all played good football with varying degrees of effectiveness and attractiveness. 
Forgot about Swansea. Spurs though? Maybe before they imploded down the stretch 
laugh.gif
 I was rooting for them too. And like I mentioned, I like watching Arsenal and the current Man City play.

I don't know, I just don't see the same exciting games that I used to in the past. For me, a large part of it is due to all the big names getting old without anyone good enough to replace them. I mean, how many superstars (not based on fame, but actual skill) are there in the EPL right now compared to 5-6 years ago? Anyone who says he didn't enjoy watching Torres, Gerrard, Lampard, Drogba, etc in their primes is a liar. Now it just seems like an abundance of decent/good but extremely overrated players that teams are dropping $30 million for every other day. And I know it's a corny statement, but I don't see that many good TEAMS in the EPL right now.   

AwOiBYKCMAAT13j.jpg

SMFH

The agent of Manchester City star Mario Balotelli says his player would be worth EU200M (Dh1.2bn) if he came up for sale today.

The 21-year-old striker, who is under contract at the Etihad Stadium until 2015, impressed at the tournament with a brace against Germany to put Italy into the Euro 2012 final.

Balotelli has been linked with a move away from the Premier League this summer, with both Milan clubs reportedly tracking him.

But while his agent Mino Ralola says he does not expect the player to return to Italy yet, he claims his player will be one of the most in-demand in Europe following his performances in Poland and the Ukraine.

"I have always said that Mario Balotelli is one player that could become the strongest in the world," Raiola said to Sky Italia. "He is probably amongst the strongest in Europe.

"How much is he worth? He is worth what the market says, he is one that can make a difference.

"In the actual market I don't think there is a value for him but if I had to give a price I would say he is worth 250million.

"I say this to give a figure but you would have to ask the City owner (Sheikh Mansour) how much he is worth."

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

Starting to get interested in soccer.

But it's such a huge sport, it's tough to follow
laugh.gif

I would suggest start with either the English Prem or the German Bundesliga...
Both are very entertaining and competitive...

Chelsea are favourites to capture right-back Maicon from Inter Milan after Real Madrid ended their interest in the Brazilian.
eek.gif

Newcastle have agreed a £5m fee with FC Twente for Brazilian defender Douglas, 24.

Paris Saint-Germain are lining up an £8million bid for Chelsea captain John Terry.

Tottenham are set to sign CSKA Moscow's Russia international Alan Dzagoev, according to his father.

How cnan you recommend Bundesliga before La Liga

Originally Posted by laker4lifeman

Any Hulk to Chelsea news?

na man, apparently Porto just wants too much for him.. looks like Chelsea might have moved on, but you never know...

Originally Posted by THE SAUNA

na man, apparently Porto just wants too much for him.. looks like Chelsea might have moved on, but you never know...
Saw a headline saying that they were interested in Walcott. And there's that AVB/Spurs rumor of them wanting him. Which is funny seeing how we're London rivals. 
Walcott has yet to renew his contract. I don't see him leaving. I don't think he has proven him yet, needs to work on his consistency. 

Originally Posted by THE SAUNA

Stevan Jovetic seems like the next striker in line to come in

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

Starting to get interested in soccer.

But it's such a huge sport, it's tough to follow
laugh.gif

I would suggest start with either the English Prem or the German Bundesliga...
How cnan you recommend Bundesliga before La Liga

A Goal.com study evaluated La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, the Premier League, and the Bundesliga, assessing the points gap in each competition. The figure computed was the standard deviation of points earned, the square root of the average of summed squared differences between each team’s points and the league average.

In simpler terms, each value is computed by finding the difference between a certain team’s points earned and the average points for all teams in the league. These differences are found for all teams within a league, and averaged. 

A high standard deviation value means a broader points gap, and thus a less competitive league: for example, one in which one or two teams are running away with the title, and a few teams are hopelessly caught in the relegation battle.

By contrast, a low standard deviation means a tighter table, suggesting less of a gap between the elite and lower teams, and tighter competition.

[table][tr][td]COMPETITION AMONG EUROPE'S TOP LEAGUES 2011-12
[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]League
[/td][td]Games
[/td][td]1st-Last Pts Gap
[/td][td]Avg Pts[/td][td]Std Deviation
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
53793_specials.jpg
[/td][td]Bundesliga
[/td][td]18
[/td][td]22
[/td][td]24.72[/td][td]7.66
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
142655_hp.jpg
[/td][td]Ligue 1[/td][td]20[/td][td]25[/td][td]26.90[/td][td]8.17[/td][/tr][tr][td]
142654_specials.jpg
[/td][td]Serie A[/td][td]19[/td][td]29[/td][td]25.35[/td][td]8.52[/td][/tr][tr][td]
53795_specials.jpg
[/td][td]La Liga[/td][td]19[/td][td]37[/td][td]25.85[/td][td]8.67[/td][/tr][tr][td]
160993_specials.jpg
[/td][td]Premier League[/td][td]22[/td][td]39[/td][td]30.25[/td][td]11.04[/td][/tr][/table]

And yet if you want to watch the very best players in the world, and the highest quality of technical football you should watch Spanish La Liga - in my opinion the best domestic competition in the world. Where you'll find tenth placed teams capable of passing English powerhouses off the park. 

You're not alone in finding in tough to follow, as there's just so much football, and so little time. I find myself missing days past when I watched just about every game of significance free of any real responsibility. 

sigh

I don't know about that.  Take out Madrid and Barce (outliers) and that league is okay
Bundesliga is the most competitive. 

English is the most accessible and because of this, probably the most exciting to watch.

Italian can be interesting, but I feel like the games can be at awkward times.  But I don't like Italian's style of play. 

Typical nonsense dolled out by Premiership fans. Accessibility= excitement? LOL. 
Obviously, the league is more than okay considering the highlighted statement, and the fact that 5 out of the 8 semifinalists in the European competitions were Spanish sides. Valencia, Athletic, Atletico, and Malaga are good sides. The latter in particular is poised to announce itself to the wider public in this years Champions league.  Levante and Sevilla are less talented than the others mentioned, but very solid as well. More importantly, the bottom half of the table has far more quality than any other league's bottom half. As we've seen at the highest levels, English punt and chase is no match for technical, possession-based football. Technical skill is what sets Spanish sides apart. 

If Madrid and Barca are outliers, so were City and United in the Premier League. And really, the vast majority of neutrals aren't watching City and United over Barca and Madrid. Besides, the latter two would make any league their own. 

Italian games can be awkward? What does that even mean? What's wrong with tactical football and organized defenses? Juve, Milan, Roma, and Napoli were all exceedingly watchable in my opinion. 
When I speak of accessibility making it more exciting.  I'm not sure which country you live in, but not every game is screened from Serie A where I live.  So it makes it a bit more difficult to follow the league easily.  Every single EPL match is screened where I live, so when I say it's more excitement, is because you can actually follow the teams you chose to and actually watch them.  That's what I mean't by more exciting to follow...
I believe Italian games can be awkward, simply because I just don't enjoy their style of play.  That's my own personal opinion, I know some die hard Serie A fans, but I can't see why. 

Lastly...
Over the seasons: 2006/07 - 2010/11

Winners:

Serie A (2): Inter & Milan

La Liga (2): Barce & Madrid

EPL: (2): Chelsea & United

Bundesliga (5): Stuttgard (1), Bayern M (2), Wolfsburg (1), Dortmund (1)

Over the past 5 years,  in La Liga and the EPL there's been 6 different teams in the top 4.

Over the past 5 years,  in Serie A and the Bundesliga there's been 9 and 10 different teams in the top 4. 

Although the Bundesliga has 2 less teams than the other leagues, you can't argue the competitiveness of the football.  That means across the board, from to bottom, the level of football is quite high. 

Back
Top Bottom