The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Originally Posted by trunks206

Congratulations to Sauna, Weaponary, Hugebird, and AZ for the win.  Enjoy it guys.

Appreciate it good sir. Hope RVP stays
smile.gif

all im now waiting on is whether RDM gets the full time job, if he doesn't then Abromovich is ******ed, seriously. Im still hearing pundits believing he didnt win over the job, but come what else could you want?!?! man won Champions League, FA Cup, and League Cup and STILL cant drop the "interim" title....I dont know. Hopefully Roman makes the right decision

few random thoughts..

In my opinion, this is the worst Chelsea team in 7 years in terms of quality top to bottom. However, the heart made the difference. The heart to come back vs. Napoli after a disastrous first leg. The heart to withstand waves of attack at Camp Nou with a man sent off for 80 minutes. The heart to withstand waves of attack at Allianz Arena. Concede and respond late in the game. Concede a penalty and block it. Get behind in penalty kicks and work back against Ze Germans who are known as masters of the craft. Things just aligned for Chelsea. This is the opposite of the previous shortcomings like Terry's slip in 2008 or the controversy vs. Barca in 2009.

Petr Cech was a top 3 keeper for many years. He slipped a bit for about 1-2 seasons. He was very reckless/nervous on set pieces then. This season, he has regained his form and proven himself to be right there with Casillas and Neuer.

Cheers to Ashley Cole, immense for the majority of the game. He was at fault for Bayern's goal but he was instrumental in keeping it 0-0 for as long as it was. He has been top of his position for nearly a decade. Many hate him for his personality/off the field issues (failed contract negotiations with Arsenal, secret meeting with Mourinho, moving from Arsenal to Chelsea, autobiography, cheating on Cheryl) but he has always been worldclass. Respect.

Arjen Robben has been world-class since 04 but he botched the critical chance vs. Spain in the World Cup final. He had a huge penalty kick saved vs. Dortmund when they were down 0-1. He had the penalty kick saved today. He just can't seem to close it out.

Statistically speaking, Drogba has only had about 2 breakout seasons with Chelsea. 06-07 and 09-10. But, he's been world-class in that time because of showings like this. The guy just gets it done. He is the anti-Gomez in this regard. Gomez had a hell of a year statistically but failed to convert so many chances in key games.

I feel this was his last game in a Chelsea shirt so.. Didier.. "Take a bow son, I mean that"

always down to discuss football, @xblaze23

Can't stand the Blues as a Man United supporter, but have always thought Drogba was a world class player, dude is just incredible. Big ups to him for putting the team on his back and coming up clutch.

Now bring him to the US so I can wear his kit lol.

As someone said earlier, the Terry situation mars this a tad, but the rest of them deserve it without a doubt. Well, maybe not Fernandy Carroll lol.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Originally Posted by trunks206

Congratulations to Sauna, Weaponary, Hugebird, and AZ for the win.  Enjoy it guys.

Appreciate it good sir. Hope RVP stays
smile.gif
Thanks man.. Best of luck to the Gunners next season.. 

Even though I'm still salty and I hate to admit it, props to the Blues. You guys played a hell of a game and had one hell of...such a wild season.
RDM has sealed the job. Roman said he wanted a manager that is known, one reason for that was to attract other players. But after this season, they are the biggest name in the game and will be, even through the first weeks of the new season. But Roman is foolish so will see....but yo was that his daughter or wife sitting next to him? She looked
pimp.gif

As for Drogba, legendary
pimp.gif

A big issue over the years with Chelsea is that their core players are aging...but they are still getting the job done....this transfer window is going to be real interesting. Hulk should def be signing to Chelsea now. M'Vila is making his decision after his game.

I've always been a fan of Cole, world class player. His life off the field....eh...he cheated on Cheryl
30t6p3b.gif
but watching him play, I can't help but say to myself that Arsenal needs a player like him. Despite the great moments that our backline has displayed there are too many horrible ones.

Gomez seems to lack instinct, it's as though he thinks about what he needs to do. Too many times we see him taking a first touch instead of putting the ball into the back of the net.

Him and Robben as stated in post above can't seem to finish

This will be remembered as a "good final" but I don't think it was. Bayern flubbed a dozen chances, Chelsesa's counter-attacking was terrible, and it ended in a penalty shootout. Other than Drogba's header there really wasn't much in the way of excitement.

Props to Didier though. What a way to cap his Chelsea career.

Great finish.Today is a reminder of why Drogba is my favorite player. 
pimp.gif

What a way to close out the season by Chelsea. 
pimp.gif

My only question is Chelsea graced with the Fifa world champions patches now that CL is over. ?

Continued talks of a new manager at Chelsea?

No chance for RDM to stick around? Seemed like it was working well for them.

Idk about u guys.

But I think chelsea played terribly today.

It was all bayern today l, but they just couldnt canpitalize.

Just like how the Spanish commentators were saying, bayern was the one that deserved win.
Chelsea just capitalized.

RDM is not that good of a coach like how everybody says.

Playing the 0-0-10 formation with a counter attack is Bs.

If that's the case then hire Bob Bradley.

Roman Castelen probably to Espanyol Barcelona.
Swiss International Xhaka joins Borussia Mönchengladbach.
Reja stepped back as Lazio coach.The 3rd time and this time really !
Ambrosini till 2013 at Milan.

Btw Bayern had 7 german players, Chelsea 4 english players in their starting XI.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

This will be remembered as a "good final" but I don't think it was. Bayern flubbed a dozen chances, Chelsesa's counter-attacking was terrible, and it ended in a penalty shootout. Other than Drogba's header there really wasn't much in the way of excitement.
Felt the same about the football, but for me the drama of the proceedings elevated the occasion. 
Chelsea's run reminded me a bit of Liverpool in '05. Transitional season, new coach, inconsistent/poor league form, but plenty of resiliency on both teams, and a couple of big time match winners to get their sides over (Gerrard and Drogba). As for the match, Bayern were appalling in front of goal, but it's certainly tough luck for them as their approach and general forward play was infinitely more positive than Chelsea's was. Gutsy move by RDM to start Bertrand on the left side of midfield, but it turned out to be a great one as he helped stifle Robben when cutting inside. On the flip side, terrible move by Jupp to take off Muller after he scored and invite pressure. But of course, hindsight is 20/20. 

Congrats to the Chelsea supporters, and commiserations to the Spurs/Bayern supporters. 

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

On the flip side, terrible move by Jupp to take off Muller after he scored and invite pressure.

Exactly.And why he didn't replaced Gomez ?

Originally Posted by ELCHAPULINCOLORADO

Idk about u guys.

Just like how the Spanish commentators were saying, bayern was the one that deserved win.
So what? All that will be remembered is that Chelsea won, not that Bayern deserved to win.
laugh.gif
Those chances are all pointless if you can't convert from them. I'm an Arsenal fan but i'm still happy that an English side won. The league gets criticized but the sixth best team this season won the best tournament in Europe.
tongue.gif

Apparently Hazard will announce which club he goes to after tonight's game FINALLY ending speculation. 
But honestly...lettuce discuss this...

Hazard hasn't proved himself in a competitive league. 

He hasn't done ANYTHING for his country. I mean 1 goal in 26 appearances?

He has a lot of potential, but 200k+ a week for someone who isn't tried and tested? Seems like a big gamble....

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Continued talks of a new manager at Chelsea?

No chance for RDM to stick around? Seemed like it was working well for them.

Honestly, RDM still isn't my ideal choice for the job. AVB actually had a much better record in the EPL than he did, and we were higher on the table before RDM took over. I'm a Chelsea fan and even I have to be honest.....we needed a lot of lock and stars aligning to achieve this. I give RDM a lot of credit but I'm not sure he can lead a rebirth of Chelsea with a bunch of new, young players coming in over the next year. The veterans of this club, most of whom are on the way out, are what carried us this far and with their leadership and experience gone next year I think RDM's inexperience will really start to show. There's rumors of him getting the Liverpool job so if he can go there and do well then hopefully he can return to Chelsea after picking up some experience.
With all that said, if he is given the job I'd have no issue with it. He did win us the CL and FA cup after all.
pimp.gif

Looks like you guys were right about Robben:

Bayern players refused to take penalties - coach

inShare

MUNICH (Reuters) -- Some Bayern Munich players including Arjen Robben refused to take penalties in their shoot-out defeat by Chelsea in the Champions League final on Saturday, forcing coach Jupp Heynckes to nominate keeper Manuel Neuer, Heynckes told reporters.
"Some of my players did not feel sure enough or confident enough to take penalties," Heynckes said. "They were tired after 120 minutes of play. You cannot force anyone to take a penalty."
Heynckes said among those was Robben, who takes all of Bayern's penalties but missed one in the first half of extra time.
"He did not feel confident to be nominated," said Heynckes. "So that is why Neuer took a penalty. It is understandable. That is legitimate and I need to know it."
Bayern lost 4-3 on penalties after taking an 83rd-minute lead through Thomas Mueller. Didier Drogba levelled two minutes from time before Robben squandered his spot-kick chance in extra time.
This was Robben's second big penalty miss after squandering his spot kick in a crucial league match against champions Borussia Dortmund in April.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated....index.html#ixzz1vQ5X05x5

Idk about u guys.

RDM is not that good of a coach like how everybody says.

Playing the 0-0-10 formation with a counter attack is Bs.

If that's the case then hire Bob Bradley.
that's exactly the reason why you dont deserve to win.
how can you possibly deserve to win when you have all the chances and fail to capitalize? chelsea made their few chances counted. it wasn't pretty but kudos to them.

Idk about u guys.

Chelsea deserves to win for that reason exactly. If bayern did deserve to win then they would have capitalized. Gomez ruined so many chances, the pk in ET, bayern deserved to LOSE in that matter for not making the most of their chances.

HAZARD TO CHELSEA?
Boy, this Eden Hazard chap is a tease. After fluttering his eyelashes at Man City and Man United for most of the season, the Telegraph now believe that Chelsea are in pole position for the Belgian's signature.

The paper report that the Blues had a breakthrough in negotiations on Friday with a €35million deal in place to sign the 21-year-old.

The Telegraph claim: 'Both Manchester City and Manchester United are interested in signing the player but have been put off by the exorbitant demands being made by Hazard's representatives. 

'Well-placed sources have revealed that he is asking for wages of £4.6million net, which means an annual outlay of about £9 million for a club. That is a weekly salary of roughly £170,000.'

Hazard has been named player of the year in France for the second year in a row after scoring 17 goals in 37 games. The Ligue 1 season reaches its conclusion on Sunday, with the winger set to reveal his destination imminently.

Back
Top Bottom