The Vegas Line - Is Anyone Ever Amazed How Accurate it is?

rockdeep

Banned
For Example:

Wasn't the Pats vs Colts line 4 1/2? And it was a 4 point win? Who could know this with them both being High Powered?

I know ALOT of people had to lose money on this game, because the line didn't slide one way or the other before the game did it?

Anyone here follow lines or bet? I don't usually but have noticed how accurate the Vegas lines are lately.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

Rock, the first thing I thought of was the Vegas spread when the game finished.

I commented last week about an undfeated team, at home, and the defending champs being 4 point UNDERDOGS, and yet, the game ends and they lose by 4. Vegas is a bunch of smart dudes. :pimp:
pimp.gif
MIAMI DOLPHINS
LA LAKERS
CHICAGO CUBS
MIAMI HURRICANES

It really is weird how on point a lot of the spreads are....

But as we know after the initial line is drawn up its then based on the public's betting patterns, New England giving a couple more points as the week went on last week (which happened) was not because the bookies thinking the Pats were worthy of that but rather because so many people were TAKING the Pats in the bet. The line then moved.

There was an interesting article in S.I. about a year or so ago about the main guys who set the lines and the work they put it.......it was mad interesting.
You're the Kind of Girl a Guy Like Me​
Could Hypnotize​

it's a lot of math.

it'd be pretty hard to fix games that exactly without being obvious.

..with so much personality,
what do you want from me?
i could be by myself and enjoy the company..
but i'd ratherher

The Skins were getting 16.5 points a couple weeks ago from the Patriots. The oddsmakers f'd that one up pretty badly.
TEAM CHICAGO BULLS
SIX-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS: 1991.1992.1993.1996.1997.1998​

Those guys know what they're doing. They think like the bettor. They understand what line to set to get action from both sides. The line for the Colts-Pats game opened at 4 for some books and 1 book had it at 6. But the public jumped all over a undefeated team getting 5 or 6 points at home thus it was bet back down to 4-4.5.

I don't know this for certain but I'm sure they have a system that allows them to examine past wagering statistics, examine both teams and the history of both teams, and then set the line to get bets from both sides.

Quote:
The oddsmakers f'd that one up pretty badly.
HOYAS
"I told you last year that if I die and I can't go to heaven, then they can take my body back to Georgetown. Well, I'm here to tell you that I ain't dead yet."

Yes. I know the 16.5 line is rare. It still means plenty of people made some tall cash taking the Pats and the points.
TEAM CHICAGO BULLS
SIX-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS: 1991.1992.1993.1996.1997.1998​

Quote:
Yes. I know the 16.5 line is rare. It still means plenty of people made some tall cash taking the Pats and the points.
HoustonRockets
FRANCIS - MCGRADY - YAO​

^^

When they make the line that high they actually get alot MORE action from those thinking they CAN do it and those who think there is no way.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

sports betting is so confusing to me. i have no idea wat anyone said in this post.
jf is GOD.
Everyone that talks to me, I so wish wouldn't. last.fmwp

I thought the line on the Colts/Pats game was 5 and a half? I was going to bet $100 on the Colts, but didnt. The Colts and 5 and a half points, you better believe I was going to take it. But I am just not much of a betting man. Not on something I have no control over.

Quote:
because the line didn't slide one way or the other before the game did it?
ed following this 6 years ago. these oddsmakers are unbeatable, they are insanely good at what they do. it sure is ridiculous to watch meaningless baskets in the NBA go in late in the game, coming right up to the total of the over/under
Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
49er's, Giants, A's, Warriors, ASU​

The worse was about two years ago.

A couple of friends of mine, as well as myself went about betting on the Notre Dame & Michigan State football game. Notre Dame was giving like 1 1/2. This was when Brady Quinn was pretty much tearing it up. So we decided to put money down. The whole game Michigan State was leading. It wasn't until the last drive or so when ND scored a TD to bring the spread to 1. All I needed to win guap was the extra point. The ND kicker missed. :stoneface:
indifferent.gif

And now I wonder if games really are fixed. :lol:
laugh.gif
teamdecepticon
T R A N S F O R M E R S
TEAM ARSENAL

The sports book I used had the game at Pats -5.5 at game time and the O/U at 157. Coming from someone who does a lot of betting on sports, odds makers truly are amazing.
Watch The Franchise

l FR3SH l:
the games are fixed.

NBA is fixed as well with all those ref incidents and David Stern changing the rules
roll.gif

Air Jordan
1984-1993
1995-1998
2001-2003
"The best there ever was, the best there ever will be."

That's why I stopped betting a long time ago :lol:
laugh.gif
. My boy played a 6 team ticket and lost on a push with the Pats game :smh:
smh.gif
NY Nitty Gritty
F.B.G.$​

If you live here in Las Vegas you'll enjoy the local sports radio stations that can go on for hours talking about gambling....

can somebody please explain sports betting? all through my life it's only been explained vaguely to me

like line, over/under, point spread, moneylines, parley, and just in general how it works

in simlpe laymans terms, please
TEAM NTWikia

do you really wonder how it happens?

Las_Vegas_2.jpg
"It's simple for everyone else, give 'em a Big Mac and a pair of Nikes and they're happy..." - Ghost World

It's all luck! Just kidding, don't know how they are so accurate but honestly it doesn't take a genius to be around the point differential between two teams.
TE NNESSEE TITANS
NO MADDEN CURSE HERE​

Back
Top Bottom