The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
at whatever I just watched. Interested to see what he would do with his other tracks now...

@ Nako, that was the only obvious and clear part of the video though...

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

Actually after the video again there is a pretty clear storyline throughout it.

I have no idea what it is, but it's definitely there.

Also, EOS needs to come out immediately and more people need to listen to this guy. Best music I've heard all year. I try to put people on, but they won't listen.
roll.gif

I've watched it about 4 times now and this is what I see so far.
- This is basically about a rift between man and woman. 

- This is also based on Ethiopian history/folklore. If I'm not mistaken hasn't it been said that Abel is Ethiopian? Anyways, long story short the Ethiopian monarchy traces its roots back to King Solomon and Queen Sheba. Haile Sellassie the Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, who is shown in the beginning of the vid and then later represented by the lion, is said to be a descendant of that lineage. Queen Sheba was said to be obsessed with King Solomon's wisdom. The story goes that Sheba came to visit him and Solomon wanted her to spend the night. She asked him not to force herself on him and he agreed but only if she agreed not to forcibly take anything from his palace. Basically they were trying to outsmart each other. Sheba ends up drinking water in the palace and breaking their agreement and Solomon and her have sex. More on that later. I believe that Abel and the female lead in the video are portraying descendants of that lineage. In the photo shown at 1:34 you see what is supposed to look like Haile Sellasie but I think is actually Abel (more on that later)

-It seems what happens is that woman gives herself to the devil and acquires knowledge (as eluded to by the owl on the devil's shoulder which represents knowledge) which causes the rift between man and woman. This is happening way in the future in a civilization based on Ethiopia, called Ethio X. The woman comes back to Abel with the knowledge and tries to outsmart him by presenting herself as three identical clones. She is unsuccessful and Abel knows which one she is because "he knows everything" aka he is wise, as portrayed by him having a vision of her giving herself to the devil. Since he outsmarted her as Solomon did Sheba he has sex with her. However this causes the rift that makes man and woman in the future split and inhabit two separate planets.

- I think the female lead as queen of her planet steals Haile Selassie's coffin in the beginning of the video to better understand Abel (who also coincidentally favors Haile Selassie as I mentioned with picture) and how to destroy him. In that beginning video she is watching clips of Selassie. She comes to the conclusion that she has to break his heart (taking cues from the song). She sends two female assassins and they bring back his heart. She's unable to break it with her hammer. Maybe she interpreted it wrong and thought she had to break his heart literally as opposed to figuratively.

-Not really sure about the ending. Looks like his heart overpowers her and she dies making him cry (trying for irony in context with the song? "you prolly thought that you'd make me cry"). They also flash to another image of Haile Selassie.

That's what I took from it after watching it a few times. Could be way off. Either way, I really enjoyed the visuals 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RavageBX

- This is also based on Ethiopian history/folklore. If I'm not mistaken hasn't it been said that Abel is Ethiopian? Anyways, long story short the Ethiopian monarchy traces its roots back to King Solomon and Queen Sheba. Haile Sellassie the Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, who is shown in the beginning of the vid and then later represented by the lion, is said to be a descendant of that lineage. Queen Sheba was said to be obsessed with King Solomon's wisdom. The story goes that Sheba came to visit him and Solomon wanted her to spend the night. She asked him not to force herself on him and he agreed but only if she agreed not to forcibly take anything from his palace. Basically they were trying to outsmart each other. Sheba ends up drinking water in the palace and breaking their agreement and Solomon and her have sex. More on that later. I believe that Abel and the female lead in the video are portraying descendants of that lineage. In the photo shown at 1:34 you see what is supposed to look like Haile Sellasie but I think is actually Abel (more on that later)

-It seems what happens is that woman gives herself to the devil and acquires knowledge (as eluded to by the owl on the devil's shoulder which represents knowledge) which causes the rift between man and woman. This is happening way in the future in a civilization based on Ethiopia, called Ethio X. The woman comes back to Abel with the knowledge and tries to outsmart him by presenting herself as three identical clones. She is unsuccessful and Abel knows which one she is because "he knows everything" aka he is wise, as portrayed by him having a vision of her giving herself to the devil. Since he outsmarted her as Solomon did Sheba he has sex with her. However this causes the rift that makes man and woman in the future split and inhabit two separate planets.

- I think the female lead as queen of her planet steals Haile Selassie's coffin in the beginning of the video to better understand Abel (who also coincidentally favors Haile Selassie as I mentioned with picture) and how to destroy him. In that beginning video she is watching clips of Selassie. She comes to the conclusion that she has to break his heart (taking cues from the song). She sends two female assassins and they bring back his heart. She's unable to break it with her hammer. Maybe she interpreted it wrong and thought she had to break his heart literally as opposed to figuratively.

-Not really sure about the ending. Looks like his heart overpowers her and she dies making him cry (trying for irony in context with the song? "you prolly thought that you'd make me cry"). They also flash to another image of Haile Selassie.

That's what I took from it after watching it a few times. Could be way off. Either way, I really enjoyed the visuals 
pimp.gif
woah nice explanation

wasnt expecting it but nice visual...love the anime influence 
glasses.gif
glasses.gif

pimp.gif

nqbu42.jpg

Originally Posted by Definition Of Dopeness

That makes alot of sense.

I remember this picture popped up like 2 months ago...

tumblr_lrz7a8PVri1ql4x9do1_500.png
Is there a story on the picture? Where'd it pop up?

eek.gif
what a mental cluster-eff....

can't imagine what a video for "Initiation" would be like..

Spoiler [+]
fd2140ebc47fed75f7f18b8cd0566adb.jpg

This is not the visual i see in my head when i listen to this song. Someone break this down for a simpleton such as myself, because this went over my head. Should i drop some acid and watch it again?

Word

I was hoping the video tied with the song more. I have no clue what I just watched
30t6p3b.gif

I love that song
ohwell.gif

LMAO

Awesome video.

To say I expected this would be a cot damn lie.

Loved the 2d animation and the story line.

Tried to follow it closely, but I am unaware of whats actually being told in teh video, but Ravage has summed up a pretty good breakdown (imo) of what the story actually is.

All in all, it was most intriguing.

pimp.gif

side question, how do you pronounce Abel in english?

Is it the same as saying able?

Originally Posted by cartune

pimp.gif

nqbu42.jpg
roll.gif
Abel flossin on our intellect

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

This is not the visual i see in my head when i listen to this song. Someone break this down for a simpleton such as myself, because this went over my head. Should i drop some acid and watch it again?

Word

I was hoping the video tied with the song more. I have no clue what I just watched
30t6p3b.gif

I love that song
ohwell.gif

But did you really think Abel would be conventional enough to tie the video to the song?

Wow.

Not gonna lie.  That was awesome lol.

I could tie the song to the video some what.  They were together she secretly wanted him dead.  He knew that, even though she thought he didn't.  Tries to kill him but it doesn't work.  He lets her go at the end.

Moral "women are sneaky and spiteful but you have to know that going in so you aren't deceived"  hence the "you probably thought that you'd make me cry" and "I know....what you did"

just my 2 cents.  And i know nothing about Ethiopian history.  So i am taking Ravage's explanation for 100% truth lol

Back
Top Bottom