The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
64B06B1E-E369-4C40-ACCC-222D8D0707EB.jpeg
270BAFF7-017B-40AB-BF96-5D4AA194DC19.jpeg
36B73245-5C38-4FC8-B242-F8048160153B.jpeg
707F467D-EB6F-4AFB-A42A-87C4912B4903.jpeg

"I let my black hair grow, and my weed smoke"

Starboy got some fire, the irony the line leading up to that though, "you too busy trying to find that blue eyed soul"

Irony not even the right word- he knows that we know, that he knows we know, that he's making music for the mainstream first and foremost. He told us year one that that was exactly how it was gonna play out, way back in 2011 on Rolling Stone.

Definitely contrived. Definitely fire.

I’ll take it.

There it is. At the very least, Heartless is certainly here today (in my rotation for the coming weeks/months) after a few days of listening.

Shining Lights is just ok to me on literal first listen, but I'm ok with him perfecting songs in that vein i.e. Secrets, Starboy title track, Love to Lay, etc. Would prefer an album limited to Heartless/Reminder/Party Monster mainstream stuff but I can definitely do the 80's synth joints.

Top to bottom, after a few years, I'm almost ready to say Starboy album > BOTM.

Honestly just give me an Attention/Acquaintance or two every album and I'm here for all the commercial releases.

The thing is it’s been like 8 years since the mixtapes. I used to be stuck in the mindset of judging his work based off the tapes and kiss land to an extent which was 6 years ago

Kinda just gotta come to terms that we all change year to year let alone almost a decade. I honestly don’t feel that heartless is contrived at all, he’s just not in the same place as he was 8 years ago. It might not hit like the tapes did but that just speaks to the level of that work

Like I said a few months ago, a Trilogy 10 Year Aniversary North America tour in 2021, and he can do whatever the **** he wants for eternity and still be GOAT of his lane/generation. **** a bunch of us probably linking up for that.

Last edited:
I too said Trilogy 10 year should get that tour treatment. I'm not sure how much bigger he wants/needs to get, but if he doesn't show out for the OGs, it'd be a travesty.

I don't think there's anything Earth shattering by saying Starboy is better then BBTM. BBTM was his first foray into mainstream. If anything, that album took the brunt of the backlash, thus helping the reception for the next project. By the time Starboy arrived, we knew what we were in for, but the overall project is still better.

While I say that, The Hills (& GIBT90s) is better than anything on Starboy.

Blinding Light is too clean and souless to me.

But I get it, he trying to get that Mercedes Sponsorship money

it’s like Earned It

BBTM was wayyy better than starboy. Often, Hills, TYF >>> anything on starboy. Back half is rough though I wont lie. The way he turned Out Here to Starboy told me everything i needed to know.

Trilogy tour would be god-tier

Seems like he would never do it though :frown:, or not in the foreseeable future

Most interviews he doesn't seem to reflect on that era -- and that's especially the case for Kiss Land.

He seems to be on the quest to be the biggest pop star now, and would probably rather do a different tour that'd be a cash cow to his blended audience of old/new fans

He would make money regardless of the music that’s being performed
I agree but think a tour with this kind of music is going to bring in more for him as he would already have his old fans there + the new mainstream fans

Back
Top Bottom