The younger generation and fusion jordans = end of retros?

balloonoboy

Banned
On my daily, I see about 20 or so pairs of fusion jordans, mostly the AF x Jordan. Recently, the Aqua AFJ VIII released and kids actually stood in line for those. STOOD IN LINE. This worries me.

Check it.

It's without a doubt that the retro signature line is JB's bread and butter, but of late those Is, XIIs, 2010 and CDPs have been gathering dust. I for one thought it would be a totally different story, instead, with the frankenstein kicks the ones hitting the sales rack, but this hasn't been so. I don't know if I'm jumping the gun or not, but it's possible that Jordan may altogether stop releasing retros and stick to their new breed of kicks. I hope this does not happen. I believe that the economy has a great influence on who buys what and many of those who know about J's aren't in a position to buy like they did before. Another big influence is the fact that many of the younger kids don't really know who Jordan is outside of a jumpman logo, whose kicks they were furnished with growing up. This is a sad fact indeed because the brand was fueled by the man, and even if the man himself isn't playing anymore, the commercials could still harp back on times past, yet those commercials have been replaced with the faces the like of Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, and others. These kids don't even know the legacy behind the kicks which is why they are so enamored by the Fusions.

They are the market right now in terms of Jordan Brand, and wherever their fancy takes them is probably where JB will follow.

It's not looking good for retros or the signature line as a whole. I really hope I'm wrong about this.

Discuss.

I still don't understand why people would wait in line for those Aqua fusions that are $150 when you can pay ~ $25 or so more and get a pair of the retros from last year...

Fusions are the product of the modern mindset. Why waste money on a bunch of different things when you can get an all in one. Remember those 9 in 1 flashlights that always sell because they seem to make sense? Yeah, same mindset. And unfortunately people are buying into it. Spizike, Fusion, 6 Rings. All the same BS. I'm already feeling the end near. JB is going to start moving towards what sells. They could care less what the OG collector heads want. Instead they do what they need to do to stay afloat. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just business.

Good things never last. It is what it is.

grin.gif

Honestly, Nothing sells like Retros, kids wait in line for fusions, yet I still see them on shelves when the wait is over... I dont think its the end at all, with the turn around JB is doing this year, theres no way an end is coming.... Now on the other hand I think the fusion line will be coming to an end soon because I only see newer CW's coming out but no new models....

people still hating on the fusions? let people buy what they want to buy and wear what they want to wear. Pretty sure that those who buy them don't care what the next person thinks about them.

Jb does some stupid things. But they know better. If it makes Nike money, it will be mass produced.

NYC don't rock with fusions......i've yet to see anyone with these on in da streets.

i guess its da south thats supporting da trash that JB spews...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

NYC don't rock with fusions......i've yet to see anyone with these on in da streets.

laugh.gif
 Hella ignorant statement. C'mon son. But I honestly applaud those who cop these and pass on retros. Makes it less of a hassle for me on Saturday mornings. But I highly doubt JB will get rid of retro's in favor of Fusions. They know better. Like a lot of the OG's said, a lot of these retro's sat back in the day, so it should really come as no surprise to us. Retros are the backbone of the brand though. Take them out of the equation, and the cookie will crumble.    

^^^ calm down 16 year old. double posting, speaking of e cred son. way to boost that post count. usage of the "n word"

*Reported*

Originally Posted by JordanFan04

laugh.gif
 Hella ignorant statement. C'mon son.[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] But I honestly applaud those who cop these and pass on retros[/color]. Makes it less of a hassle for me on Saturday mornings. But I highly doubt JB will get rid of retro's in favor of Fusions. They know better. Like a lot of the OG's said, a lot of these retro's sat back in the day, so it should really come as no surprise to us. Retros are the backbone of the brand though. Take them out of the equation, and the cookie will crumble.    
u have got to be kidding me  fusions should be burned get caught wit them  on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                    

I am born and raised in Houston. I would have to agree but its a hit or miss in h-town. I found the trend though. The northside out here sells out of the fusions and the true heat will sit. I think its because schools are so concentrated. I went to get the eggplants at northline. There were about 20 heads in front of me. But they were all buying fusions and 6rings. I went in copped a 12 and walked out. To be honest I think Niketalk is the reason fusions dont sell that.

Originally Posted by VAHustler

people still hating on the fusions? let people buy what they want to buy and wear what they want to wear. Pretty sure that those who buy them don't care what the next person thinks about them.

Originally Posted by bel air

u need to stop making threads son.

<-----Patiently waiting for the day when someone can make a thread and not get crap cuz other people think his/her question is dumb or insignificant or whatever...If you're uninterested, why dont you just click "back" and not comment...let the lil homie breathe

What's good with the non-moderator NikeTalk Gestapo?!?!?!

so what you sayin? im 16 and my foot has never touched an AJF... i only wear retro jordans or hybrids like dubs and spizikes
fusions seem like a piece of crap to me...

Fusions are an abomination IMO but they sell and retro's still sell as well too so I'm sure they won't stop making retro's because of the fusions'.

I don't get mad at young kids wearing fusions. Most kids get sneakers once or twice a year and they are not shopping in the iss/nt buy sell forums. They go to the mall one day with their parents and pick out a pair of shoes. It's not like they can walk into footlocker and buy some black and red 13s. You can however walk into footlocker and buy some fusion 13s along with about 7 or 8 other fusion models. You cant get mad or look down on someone if they have no options to chose from. Most of the good jordans are gone by the time the general public gets to the stores. People waiting in line for fusions is absurd though. But as far as retro models sitting, there is a reason for this. Besides the white/red 12s, most of those shoes deserve to sit. Stop making crap retros, or sticking one good retro with one no one wants. If they gave the shoe community what they want, the shoes wouldn't sit.

i admit that fusions are def. getting out of hand, but guys on NT complain about new retro's (colorways, quality, shape, etc) but if JB kept re-releasing the same shoes over and over you guys would complain about that too. so what better way for JB to appeal to ALL CONSUMERS than to release fusions, AND retro's? no need for complaining like this when you arent the one buying the fusions and hybrids though. releases like the Space Jams are sheer proof that retro's arent going anywhere no time soon. i mean think about it, why would JB release all of their best heat(retros) back to back? they have to have side shows (fusions, hybrids, etc), its good business.

Back
Top Bottom