THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
s34yy6qvrbd41.jpg

Was gonna call out this morning but I feel like I needed to get out and just go to work to get my mind off things, especially with my wife. My wife isn’t a basketball fan but she broke down last night learning about Gigi and the other 7 people who passed away on that helicopter ride.

My wife was mostly affected by Gigi. We talked about it last night, and the kind of mindset Kobe had while trying to convince Gigi that everything’s gonna be fine.

We don’t have kids yet but we both know for sure that our children will know about 1/26/2020.

Last edited:
Bean built his entire career and legendary work ethnic by being a loner. It's been amazing and touching to see all of these relationships he cultivated behind the scenes. All these warm messages about him being a mentor/big brother is getting me all in my feels

I spent way too much time on here over the years arguing over his basketball merits, and few athletes can evoke those thoughts or emotions on either side. He begrudgingly earned my respect over time, and seeing him continue to evolve and grow as a person, father, friend, husband..that became more relatable and admirable to me than anything he could ever do on a basketball court. And oddly now, a role model in a much different way than a younger me would have imagined.. I know how much he meant to many of you on here, and this sucks. Peace and love to all of you guys and his family and everyone impacted by this.

As a white dude. I totally get where some of you are coming from. I dont even wanna look at other white people today or other people that dont watch bball..knowing that they arent thinking about what we all are. This should be devastating to everyone. Maybe this was a bad post. I feel like throwing up

As a white dude. I totally get where some of you are coming from. I dont even wanna look at other white people today or other people that dont watch bball..knowing that they arent thinking about what we all are. This should be devastating to everyone. Maybe this was a bad post. I feel like throwing up
Tell me about it .. this whit lady I know asked me .. hey, what's wrong?

I'm like, it's a terrible day, Kobe, his daughter and several other parents and kids died yesterday.

She replies: oh my, that's tragic. Kobe, wasnt him like a football player.

I just put my headphones and kept it moving.

I said it yesterday but he transcended basketball. It's not just sports news, it's world news. He was larger than life.

Almost felt immortal.
I said it yesterday ... MJ was basketball life, especially in the US... Kobe was more than that globally.

Especially in Asia, dude was Godlike ....

It’s so surreal man. I feel so bad for Vanessa and the other victims families as well. Losing your significant other is one thing, but your daughter too? As a parent I can’t comprehend that. The part that hits the hardest for me is the baby. Like we’ve all been affected by some aspect of his life or another. There will always be someone to tell her how great her dad was but she’ll never remember him :emoji_broken_heart:

(from an old post a few years back)

Best Kobe story I've read, this was a few years ago but it stuck with me:

A story about Kobe Bryant, as told by a professional trainer who worked with Bryant this past Summer, for the Olympics:

I’ve been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I’ve been seeing the videos of Kobe’s most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn’t touch on anything we don’t know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I’ve had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched “Casablanca” for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

“Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I’m not disturbing anything right?”

“Uhh no, what’s up Kob?”

“Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that’s all.”

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

“Yeah sure, I’ll see you in the facility in a bit.”

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn’t even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went – I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, “Good work this morning.”

“Huh?”

“Like, the conditioning. Good work.”

“Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it.”

“So when did you finish?”

“Finish what?”

“Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?”

“Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now.”

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there’s no surprise to why he’s been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he’s said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It’s no surprise to me now that he’s dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn’t a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom