THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on here praising KD for his fan interaction even when people were calling him soft and making fun of burner accounts. I've always rocked with KD for his honesty and fan engagement, but at times I feel like he abuses his given advantage in these debates being the HoF player.

In 99% of these conversations, people are going to side with KD from the jump... Because he's KD. He sometimes abuses that by just making stuff up and hiding behind the shield of "yall don't hoop I am one of the best hoopers to ever live" or "these are things I've seen" with no context and it's very unfair to the other party. Then the majority runs with his opinion because again, he's Kevin Durant.

I never got that no long 2 logic either. I mean sure in theory I guess it makes sense but when your actually playing and catch the ball in rhythm ready to shoot an open shot is an open shot no matter where your feet or the line is.

I will say from personal playing experience mid range was always toughest for me to be consistent. Threes step back 2s getting to the rim post up not problem but midrange I was had a little trouble with. I think that's why I appreciate the players who make them at such a high level cause that was always kinda hard for me.

If you’re playing in an NBA offense....there are certain spots you need to be in. It’s not the same as pickup. These are pros. It’s like a WR able to tip toe on the sideline...it’s a skill to have spatial awareness and be able to keep both feet behind the 3pt line, or in bounds in the corner. They practice this. If you have a role and place to be on the court...maximize your spacing by being behind the line as an outlet. It’s just like being in the dinner spot or being the baseline/elbow escape shooter they used to have back in the day.

Last edited:
:lol: Just those first few paragraphs alone. Hilarious. Analytics have been used in sports since they've began, and humans seeking an edge are always looking for an advantage. Understanding the data better provides a better opportunity for them to take advantage of strengths of their owns and weaknesses of others. It's definitely more trendy for players to rebel against the "nerds" at analytics are better known publicly. Pat Riley revolutionized NBA analytics decades ago. They were tracking things like deflections before it was even popular.

the bottom line for me is this

if you’re a hooper, a part of hoop culture, and know your ****, you’re doing a disservice to your genius by avoiding data for the sake of being rebellious. They go together. If you know your ****, then you’ll be able to decipher what’s noise,what’s valid, and that’ll make you a better basketball mind / player as a whole.

they go together and you’re doing it wrong if you’re some data only **** or feel like nerds have no place in hoop lexicon / discourse.

I think KD interacting and trying to educate folks with some WILD *** opinions......

I mean not only is dood a PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PLAYER but dood is one of the best to touch a ball, so HE IS THE EXPERT.

some people just need to shut up and listen

I love that KD be shutting down randoms, dude using his power lol
The timing couldn't be better if I planned it..this is exactly what I'm talking about. KD is gifted the benefit of the doubt the second the conversation starts even if he's wrong and he's making stuff up he's going to garner responses like this the majority of the time.

I mean his opinion is greater than those who never played.

his opinions are also based off insight gained from knowledge through EXPERIENCE....aka true wisdom.

100% of the people he responds to never played in the nba so.....

you can argue with him all you want, but you just make yourself look like a weekend warrior, “back in my day” idiot at whatever day job you have or dont have.

Last edited:
Well I mean, how you think he should be conducting himself isn't the same as how he thinks he should be conducting himself.

Hes a regular human like us who loves to talk basketball and uses social media to do so. How could that even be looked upon as a bad thing?

IMO let him rock out. Making character judgements on athletes because they choose to talk about their sport online is insane to me. He's a basketball player tweeting about...basketball :lol:

I never said it was a bad thing. I just said I don’t get it/wouldn’t do it. I don’t think he should behave a certain way, nor do I impose how I live my life onto others. He’s free to use his platform however he pleases and if he’s not hurting/coming with malicious intent on anyone then it’s not skin off my back.
If I was him I’d choose to talk to other professionals about the game, that’s all I was saying. I’m not really a fan of talking to people that aren’t knowledgeable but act like they are, which is a good population of Twitter :lol:

Last edited:
I mean his opinion is greater than those who never played.

his opinions are also based of insight gained from knowledge through EXPERIENCE....aka true wisdom.

100% of the people he responds to never played in the nba so.....

you can argue with him all you want, but you just make yourself look like a weekend warrior, “back in my day” idiot at whatever day job you have or dont have.
Well I don't agree with this at all. You don't have to have played in the NBA to understand it. No need to get into the litany of great basketball minds haven't stepped foot on an NBA court, but what about the fact that today alone he's been completely wrong three times and even once admitted it. You can't just blindly side with him cause he's KD.

I never said it was a bad thing. I just said I don’t get it/wouldn’t do it. I don’t think he should behave a certain way, nor do I impose how I live my life into others. He’s free to use his platform however he pleases and if he’s not hurting/coming with malicious intent on anyone then it’s not skin off my back.
If I was him I’d choose to talk to other professionals about the game, that’s all I was saying. I’m not really a fan of talking to people that aren’t knowledgeable but act like they are, which is a good population of Twitter :lol:
I think him interacting with non professionals as a professional has tremendous value, especially for students of the game.

Would love to talk hoop and pick his brain about the game, but thats most likely not going to happen. So hearing his insights in a public forum is pretty neat.

begging for suspensions again?? :rofl: :rofl:

The Daily Caller...

06780DADA61068392532251172864_2.0.1.692968651663419523.mp4.jpg

Well I don't agree with this at all. You don't have to have played in the NBA to understand it. No need to get into the litany of great basketball minds haven't stepped foot on an NBA court, but what about the fact that today alone he's been completely wrong three times and even once admitted it. You can't just blindly side with him cause he's KD.
No dont have to play in the NBA but its important to acknowledge if you never played in the NBA there are things you will never understand or even comprehend from a spectators standpoint.

its important to understand KD’s perception of basketball isfar greater than most. Not ONLY from a FAN’s perspective (which he is) but a PLAYERSas well. He is both a fan and a player (HOF’er at that)

you are just a fan.....if that Lol

Experience is great but if experience in basketball = wisdom off the court then the best basketball players would go on to be the best coaches and the best GMs.

If you’re playing in an NBA offense....there are certain spots you need to be in. It’s not the same as pickup. These are pros. It’s like a WR able to tip toe on the sideline...it’s a skill to have special awareness and be able to keep both feet behind the 3pt line, or in bounds in the corner. They practice this. If you have a role and place to be on the court...maximize your spacing by being behind the line as an outlet. It’s just like being in the dinner spot or being the baseline/elbow escape shooter they used to have back in the day.
I wasnt just talking pickup I played hs and AAU but yeah ofcourse shooters specifically are aware of that like you said it's an added skill. I'm just not about to tell someone not to take a shot or disrupt there rhythm because the shot is worth one less point. So many of the best players we've ever seen made heavy use of long twos. It's about the flow of the game more so not everything is a math equation. Guys like wade melo even jordan are perfect examples these guys feasted with long twos your telling me if they came up in this era coaches would want to change that? If so that type of stuff is exactly the problem I have with this analytics era. You wanna use it as an extra reference fine no problem with that but a lot are letting it dominate the way they view the game which is backwards imo.

A lot (not all) of the you never played in the league points are things I got knowledge of just playing organized ball 1/3 of my life and through AAU/high school. Locker room and team dynamics, coaching decisions, etc. Obviously the pro level is its own monster but players tend to act like some of these things are entirely foreign concepts to everyone else and not fathomable to process.

I have some spots open in a H2H Categories Fantasy Basketball League on ESPN. Draft will probably be a day or two before the season opener.

PM me emails if interested.

Lol “objection your honor”

Exercise some common sense.....pop PROFESSIONALLY been coaching PROFESSIONAL players for decades now.

you already know the answer to that question man, don't ask me dumb questions guy

A lot (not all) of the you never played in the league points are things I got knowledge of just playing organized ball 1/3 of my life and through AAU/high school. Locker room and team dynamics, coaching decisions, etc. Obviously the pro level is its own monster but players tend to act like some of these things are entirely foreign concepts to everyone else and not fathomable to process.

To people who never played HS/AAU....they are unfathomable man

you gotta understand not everone who likes basketball, played basketball. Therefore they are missing a huge part of the culture.

Lol “objection your honor”

Exercise some common sense.....pop PROFESSIONALLY been coaching PROFESSIONAL players for decades now.

you already know the answer to that question man, don't ask me dumb questions guy
Now I'm asking dumb questions? You're blindly agreeing with a guy who's MAKING STUFF UP. Kevin Durant isn't infallible just because he hoops for real. He can be wrong and we don't have to give everything he says priority and credence because he hoops.

I love watching skate vids, have my favorite skaters, favorite skate tapes, lines, team and all that....but i never really skated for real

but bro i would damned if i seen eric koston in person and tried to tell him something or give him advice about skating are you serious?

To people who never played HS/AAU....they are unfathomable man

you gotta understand not everone who likes basketball, played basketball. Therefore they are missing a huge part of the culture.

I understand that, I’m just saying that it’s not foreign to EVERYONE and a lot of former players especially act like it is.

Now I'm asking dumb questions? You're blindly agreeing with a guy who's MAKING STUFF UP. Kevin Durant isn't infallible just because he hoops for real. He can be wrong and we don't have to give everything he says priority and credence because he hoops.
Ughhh i never said he was never wrong. Stop making stuff up.

i said he is an expert and his opinion is far greater than those who never played.

you wildin now just for arguments sake

leave me alone, u been dismissed.
tenor.gif

the bottom line for me is this

if you’re a hooper, a part of hoop culture, and know your ****, you’re doing a disservice to your genius by avoiding data for the sake of being rebellious. They go together. If you know your ****, then you’ll be able to decipher what’s noise,what’s valid, and that’ll make you a better basketball mind / player as a whole.

they go together and you’re doing it wrong if you’re some data only **** or feel like nerds have no place in hoop lexicon / discourse.

I think the problem is that some of these guys can't discern between what's noise and what's valid, and having a guy like KD take on nerds online while also being a dude who uses analytics heavily in his day to day is sending such a conflicted message.

Who doesn't want to know which are the highest percentage shots per possession average out across the league? Who doesn't want to know if they shoot really well from corner 3s, but it's currently not a shot that they shoot a high % of volume from? Who doesn't want to know where their weakest catch and shoot spot from the perimeter is? It's easy to just say "I don't like analytics" or "I'm not listening to nerds" but any player with common sense will use the tools of these statistics to improve their own game and make themselves more $$$.

A guy like KD can say whatever he wants, but he has a huge voice and shapes the narrative around these convos. People are still using "blog boys" because of him talking on the Simmons show. My issue is that its weird to simultaneously discredit these people because they didn't play at a high level and they aren't NBA players, but then turn around and engage in convos with them too. But I guess that's just the conundrum that KD is at this point too.

Last edited:

i said he is an expert and his opinion is far greater than those who never played.

tenor.gif

Being an expert at playing something =/= being an expert at analyzing the sport, either.

Shaq is one of the greatest of all time but consistently sounds like a moron talking about the sport.

tenor.gif
Lol ok guy. It's pretty obvious what you were getting at I know how to read.

But that's how discourse works. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me. Leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom