Think twice before leaving your car at the dealership for repair....................

Insane for the service advisors not wanting to claim any responsibility for what happened... any SANE human being woulda went there and went nuts on everybody in there after somethin like that happening.

Now I know for myself, we have done this type of thing at my job..where the owner of the shop may take a car home for an extended test drive to see if the check engine light comes back on...but its a no brainer that the shop is responsible if something happens. I'm glad the lady went all the way n got them exposed on the news, those people at that dealer are seriously selfish scumbags.

Either way tho...generally, your car will be driven by somebody at a repair shop. I know at my job some of us take a car out for lunch breaks, parts runs or porting around customers. This is true almost especially if you have a sports car or any car with a full tank of gas...that mug will be driven. But I will say it is a good way for us to get familiar with the car and feel/notice anything that should be brought to the customer's attention that they aren't cognizant of or afraid to mention to us.

Originally Posted by it is wat it is

smh
smh.gif

grimey dealership
smh.gif

and
smh.gif
at someone getting a mercedes and no 8g's just laying around?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

Insane for the service advisors not wanting to claim any responsibility for what happened... any SANE human being woulda went there and went nuts on everybody in there after somethin like that happening.

Now I know for myself, we have done this type of thing at my job..where the owner of the shop may take a car home for an extended test drive to see if the check engine light comes back on...but its a no brainer that the shop is responsible if something happens. I'm glad the lady went all the way n got them exposed on the news, those people at that dealer are seriously selfish scumbags.

Either way tho...generally, your car will be driven by somebody at a repair shop. I know at my job some of us take a car out for lunch breaks, parts runs or porting around customers. This is true almost especially if you have a sports car or any car with a full tank of gas...that mug will be driven. But I will say it is a good way for us to get familiar with the car and feel/notice anything that should be brought to the customer's attention that they aren't cognizant of or afraid to mention to us.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by HyphySole

This happened to my friends car. She drives a BMW and she left it at the shop to have it fixed. She was in my car when we saw the mechanic driving her car out in the street in the middle of the night. No where near the shop.

and what happened after that.........
nerd.gif

One of my close friends works in Volkswagen over here in Queens/Long Island (idk where exactly) but I stay seeing dude driving customers cars that they leave over night.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

First off, I was lead on.

I thought, hey, a money making black woman, hooray!.

Then, her car got totaled for no reason, didn't she have a replacement car for the time being in the repair shop? But nonetheless, i felt bad this happened to her

THEN! Insurance covers 29k. BUT she owned 36K. I smirk.

Not only did insurance help pay off her car debt, but she was in no place to EVER pay off that car note.

I have zero sympathy.

Goes to show, life is hard when you can't get a job.
what are you talking about?
-she's purty
-and it's unfortunate and she should get justice.
-and why was it a total loss?

Originally Posted by Vancity74

And a quick FYI but it *IS* common practice for tech's to take customer vehicles home with them if they need to diagnose an intermittent problem.
this

but they take the car while the shop is open though. its happened with my car also, in for CEL and they had to drive car to make sure the light wasnt coming back home. its unnecessary to take a customers vehicle home for "testing" IMO.

the dealership should have taken responsibility for the accident off top. but the person who was at fault should have paid for repairs if necessary. since the car is totaled, all she gets is the bluebook value of the car which is 29k. if she upside down in on her loan, thats on her. and how you not have atleast min 10k laying around having your own business and pushing an eclass though? the dealership should have handled it better, but she would still have to pay the 8k no matter what.

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

smh.gif

This is the reason my boy always records his mileage when he takes his Range to get serviced, and even goes as far as to make sure its damn near on E when he drops it off. I remember I went with him once to drop his car at the shop. He gives the mechanic the keys, and as we walk away the guy yells "you know you have no gas right?". My boy is like "yeah"
laugh.gif
. The look on the mechanics face was priceless
indifferent.gif

And a quick FYI but it *IS* common practice for tech's to take customer vehicles home with them if they need to diagnose an intermittent problem.
But they had already diagnosed the problem and ordered the part.....A test drive was no longer needed....

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

First off, I was lead on.

I thought, hey, a money making black woman, hooray!.

Then, her car got totaled for no reason, didn't she have a replacement car for the time being in the repair shop? But nonetheless, i felt bad this happened to her

THEN! Insurance covers 29k. BUT she owned 36K. I smirk.

Not only did insurance help pay off her car debt, but she was in no place to EVER pay off that car note.

I have zero sympathy.

Goes to show, life is hard when you can't get a job.

you gump boy you, life is hard when you can't get a job? what the hell are you talking about? i hope you weren't talking about the woman being as she owns her own business. she was in no place to EVER pay off that car note? please share how you came to that conclusion. foh with that bs, kid must be 12.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I find it interesting how the lady said she wanted to Mercedes to show her daughter her success, but yet didn't have 7g's to pay the difference in the insurance claim. I am in no way saying she should have paid, but seems to me that if there was an emergency w. the car that was actually her fault she should have the funds to pay for it. Living beyond ones means FTW.....

+@*+*! situation tho....dealership was totally at fault.

Oh I agree, she came off as incredibly materialistic with that comment about the car and her daughter. sadly that's the mindset of most of America.

I find it interesting how the lady said she wanted to Mercedes to show her daughter her success, but yet didn't have 7g's to pay the difference in the insurance claim. I am in no way saying she should have paid, but seems to me that if there was an emergency w. the car that was actually her fault she should have the funds to pay for it. Living beyond ones means FTW.....

+@*+*! situation tho....dealership was totally at fault.

Originally Posted by HyphySole

This happened to my friends car. She drives a BMW and she left it at the shop to have it fixed. She was in my car when we saw the mechanic driving her car out in the street in the middle of the night. No where near the shop.
It happened to me, too. I sent my car to the shop, and when I got it back, I decided to vacuum the inside. I found one receipt from a gas station and another from a restaurant in Rhode Island from the day the shop called me to say that they needed one more day to solve my issue.
laugh.gif

eh i knew what I said would ruffle so feathers. sometimes its annoying to have a car that comes in with no gas cuz half of the time they end up running out of gas, even tho we still gotta test drive the cars.

I'm not gonna sit up here n defend my position...I'm just being honest with you guys. Some shops are more strict on policies like this where no customer vehicles are driven, etc. but that depends on who owns or manages the place. I manage the shop where I work at and I don't see it wrong for incorporating a parts run or lunch run with a test drive to ensure readiness, break in brakes/clutch, check alignment, check if the check engine light reappears, etc. If anything that ensures that when you pick up your vehicle, all the kinks are worked out.

If anything, I find it reasonable for a shop to put on 5-10 miles tops for road testing a vehicle..but a trip home isn't necessary to cycle the ecm n all it's sensors, etc when doing a diagnosis/follow up test.

This.

One of my instructors used to take customer's cars home when he used to work for the dealership.

indifferent.gif
....No, it's not. There are only a couple of reasons why cars need to be test driven more than 15 miles, forget about taking them home.  I worked for Mercedes and under NO circumstances was ANYONE allowed to take a vehicle home to diagnose a problem, unless the owner was personally spoken too and permitted it. Regular test-drives is ok, but taking the car home is not. Also, whenever I take my car to BMW, they always call and ask me if a test drive longer than 10 miles is ok.

Also, check engine lights are notorious with  mercedes. We literally had 4 2010 E-classes with less than 300 miles in shop because of a CEL.   

It's a must you get gap insurance. I found that out after some lousy driver totaled my car.  You'll be out of tons of money despite not being at fault. I'm surprised the government lets insurance companies rape you like that.
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom