Thinking about Buying a Hybrid Car Vol. Ya'll whip Prius or Nah?

So I've been driving a 2003 VW Passat ever since senior year HS and afater a good 10 years, I think it may be time to retire the car. With gas prices continuing to rise (and being in LA) you can't really get any where without driving, suddenly gas efficiency has never looked sexier than it does now.

That being said, I'm thinking about buying a hybrid. I've been doing a little research and I'm pretty impressed with the VW Jetta Hybrid w/ turbo. I also looked into TDIs, and but diesel is still expensive when it's time to refill.
View media item 424630
hwy
mpg
horsepower
lbs/ft torque

I've also been looking to the Prius and I must say they look a lot better in terms of designs than when they were first introduced. I'd give electric cars like Tesla a chance later on (and when they introduce a cheaper model than the Model S, but there are not enough electric stations around here yet.

My budget is between $22-28k. Not looking to spend any more than that.

What's your experience with hyrbids? Love 'em? Hate 'em?

In before Prius getz no yambz.

Just for the helluvit, here's a matte black prius :lol: :pimp:

View media item 424631

That's what I did...

I copped a brand new Lexus CT 200h. It's a hybrid and looks 100x better than a prius or any other hybrid for that matter...

I got my 2012 F-Sport CT 200h last year for 32k, I'm sure you can get a lower model or 2011/2012 (since 13's are out) for much lower and in your range.

Cost to fill up tank is $31. I drove a few e39 BMWs for like 5-6 years and to fill up that tank was damn near $80.

Pics of my car:

View media item 232546
View media item 232539

Last edited:
I'd cop a Prius.

Think they look 
pimp.gif

That's what I did...

I copped a brand new Lexus CT 200h. It's a hybrid and looks 100x better than a prius or any other hybrid for that matter...

I got my 2012 F-Sport CT 200h last year for 32k, I'm sure you can get a lower model or 2011/2012 (since 13's are out) for much lower and in your range.

Cost to fill up tank is $31. I drove a few e39 BMWs for like 5-6 years and to fill up that tank was damn near $80.

I really like the Lexus CT 200h too! I gotta do more research on that car. I think I'd be fine buying a the 2011/2012 year too. Thanks for the info!

That Lexus is pretty... I drive a e92 335i 60 miles a day for work :smh:, i needs something economical fam

I really like the Lexus CT 200h too! I gotta do more research on that car. I think I'd be fine buying a the 2011/2012 year too. Thanks for the info!

It's a very solid car and built very well. Body and interior of a luxurious Lexus and shares the same motor as the Prius. I like it a lot and you can get more info at clublexus dot com or ct200hforum dot com

For me it was between the Audi A3 tdi and my Lexus CT 200h...and I ended up with the CT due to the gas mileage, the motor is programmed for 87 octane, looks, the ability to mod, and the Lexus reliability

Last edited:
Idk if OP cares about the environment, but Hybrids are actually awful for the environment, the battery to be exact. 

My uncle drives a new Lexus ct In electron blue i would def get that car it's a sick hybrid it's luxury meets Prius I dig it

A co-worker of mine just got a fully equipped Insight for a less than MSRP. We went to get coffee the other day & it rode very nicely. Another girl at work got the new Civic hybrid & loves it. Just throwing out some ideas for OP. Also if you buy new, go the last week of the month. Salesmen scramble to make that commission you're more likely to get a good deal. God luck OP.

Honda Civic hybrid ($24,360 - $27,060)
View media item 424886View media item 424887
Honda CRZ ($19,975 - $23,155)
View media item 424889View media item 424890
Honda Insight ($18,600 - $23,790)
View media item 424891View media item 424892

Do you lose any mpg benefits if you lower and add rims to a hybrid car?

Hybrids are nice and all, especially if you're looking to save on gas, but to me they're way too slow for me and as stated with maintenance replacing those batteries when they die out will cost a lot of money. 

I copped a brand new Lexus CT 200h.]

The Lexus CTH is such a great looking car, the body looks great and they seem to have good power for being hybrid. This is honestly the only hybrid I would want to own, every other hybrid just simply lacks styling/inspiration. I'm considering the lexus CT 200, but i'm leaning pretty firm on the subaru brz...

Do you lose any mpg benefits if you lower and add rims to a hybrid car?

I would think the mileage would be slightly diminished as the low profile tires take more energy to travel the same distance, also with tires like that you will go through them in 10-15k vs 30k on normal tires. Also the ride becomes much, much worse.

Last edited:
Hybrids are nice and all, especially if you're looking to save on gas, but to me they're way too slow for me and as stated with maintenance replacing those batteries when they die out will cost a lot of money. 

FYI the warranty on the battery is 8 years. 8 years. I don't think imma keep the car for longer than 8 years, and Toyota/Lexus rates their traction/hybrid batteries to last the life of the car. There are quite a few 1st gen Priuses that are still on the OG battery. Do your research, failure rates on these batteries are very low...and that was back in the day where new batteries are expensive. Now if that were to happen, and that's a BIG IF, you're battery will be under warranty within 8 years, and there are a bunch of used batteries/donor junk car batteries/and aftermarket battery alternatives...

The Lexus CTH is such a great looking car, the body looks great and they seem to have good power for being hybrid. This is honestly the only hybrid I would want to own, every other hybrid just simply lacks styling/inspiration. I'm considering the lexus CT 200, but i'm leaning pretty firm on the subaru brz...
I would think the mileage would be slightly diminished as the low profile tires take more energy to travel the same distance, also with tires like that you will go through them in 10-15k vs 30k on normal tires. Also the ride becomes much, much worse.

When I was at the Lexus dealership I saw the FRS on the lot too, it looks nice and I was kinda considering it, but for a few thousand more you get a Lexus, a Hybrid, better gas mileage, and just more economical...I have authentic BBS 2 piece wheels on it and yes, it does lower the mpg by a little, but not too much. (Because the wheel is wider and exerts more surface area for energy to be lost) The Lexus CT is rated at 42 mpg combined and I was easily getting 48 mpg combined on stock F-Sport wheels and about 43 on my BBS wheels. (Still higher than rated mpg, but lower than stock wheels)

What's the point in even doing this?

Why do you put wheels/rims on any car? Style, looks, fitment, making YOUR car YOUR own...

To those that are worried about maintenance, buy a maintenance plan. That way you'll have your warranty plus all scheduled maintenance. I checked the CT forums and did my research and skipped the maintenance plan because the maintenance schedule on the CT's is very minimal.

Back
Top Bottom