THIS MORNING I RAN 16 MILES NON-STOP...ON PAVEMENT WITH HILLS @ 240 lbs.

So anyway I woke up around 7:45 to take my morning run. I was a little pissed off because on Tuesdayafternoon I wasn't even able to run 5 miles without stopping, but that was because I hadn't rested much and I had just taken a 3 hour polygraph so Iwas mentally exhausted. Anyway I started my run from my complex to the paved trail and I noticed that even after 2.5 miles and some rough hills that Iwasn't even taxed..so right then I decided I was going to run the entire trail and then some and then all the way back.

I wound up finishing 16 miles in 2 hours 57 minutes, which seems kind of sucky, but when you consider all the longsweeping hills/inclines (at least three of the hills were almost 1/2 mile long and one was a long and straight 3/4 of a mile hill) and the fact that I havenever ran over 8 1/2 miles before it is pretty impressive. Not to mention that I am not some 150 skinny dude...I am pushing 240 pounds. I did the calorieburner calculator and I burned 3700 calories for that run, and when you consider I haven't eaten breakfast that means I'm in a 3700 calorie deficit,not to mention my daily recommended intake of 2700 calories. So I am going to eat a pizza and rest a day, then get back out there.

I can already swim a mile without stopping using the breastroke, and I can bike indefinitely, so I am almost there to beable to complete a full triathlon. All that running in the 115 degree heat in Iraq has made my stamina pretty dang good.

Anybody in here interested in triathlons or marathons?

THE GOAT sharing his workout regimen.
pimp.gif

Damn.

That's impressive at your weight. I weigh the same and the longest I've gone is 6 miles. It gets boring to me after a while.

Yeah, but do you have fluid hips? (nh)

Congrats dude, most I have ever run I think was a 10K race. I got shifty knees & shin splints so I try not to push it too hard when it comes to running.Keep up the good work dude.

I had a friend run 18 miles before. He said he got really sick afterwards, something about stressing the body makes you more vulnerable to viruses (Ididn't bother checking the legitimacy of this, so if it's wrong I'll believe it).

But good stuff man, I gotta get running again soon.

Better get your eating habits up to snuff if you are interested in keeping that going mang

Thanks y'all. BTW I ran in the Air Vomero 4's. Even for a heavier guy like my self the cushioningfor those will protect your legs from excessive impact...even when running on pavement. Not to say Nike makes the best running shoes, because I know theydon't, but if you wanted to stick with Nike for whatever reason, those will do you fine IF you are at least a neutral runner.

shabooyah1124 wrote:

forrest-gump.jpg

laugh.gif

I was going to post the video from YouTube, but it wouldn't let me embed. You beat me to it.

Reporter: "Why are you doing this?"
Gump: "I just felt like runnin'"

smokin.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Better get your eating habits up to snuff if you are interested in keeping that going mang
No doubt, but don't sleep on the amazing all-around benefits of a pizza for carbreplenishment.

So what is the answer to the question of pizza later or post-exercise drink now? With the amount of carbohydrates that an average endurance athlete burns up, the pizza is not a bad idea. The post-exercise meal should be consumed within 2 hours of exercise for best glycogen restoration and should contain at least 100 to 200 g of carbohydrates along with a lean protein such as mozzarella cheese. The tomato sauce probably has a reasonable amount of vitamin A, C and E and pizza is a good choice for a meal after a race. However a post exercise drink while you're waiting in line for something good to eat is an even better idea. Have a sports bottle with your replacement drink on your bike when you get back to transition or consider asking your friends to bring you your favorite concoction to the finish line. When you get ready for the next day of training or racing, you'll be glad you did. But enjoy the pizza, not a bad choice for a post race meal.

That's serious stuff. I do 3 miles every day and that helps keep me in shape, but you basically burned one pound of fat in that run (3600 calories = 1 lbfat). The most I did in one run was 5 miles and I was burnt after that (I did do pretty good time, but I was huffing hard). Props to you

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

All that running in the 115 degree heat in Iraq has made my stamina pretty dang good.
Amen. I did the Balad 10-miler when I was over there the first time, and on my 2nd tour I had my 2-mile time down to 10:30, 5 mile to around 32mins, and was running every other day.

Due to school and just being lazy I got away from running a bit, but we're doing both Hood-to-Coast and the Eugene Marathon for my work this upcomingsummer. Needless to say, I've been hitting the pavement hard the last couple weeks.

I ran a marathon and three half marathons before. 18 miles is no joke. If you can run 18-20 miles, you can do a full marathon.

My wife did the 2009 Chicago Triathlon this past year. I hate swimming or I'd give it a try. In 2010 I'm aiming to do some longer bike races.

Like the eating habits RyGuy mentioned, you will actually have to change your whole lifestyle. I started training in May for an October marathon. I did twointermediate runs during Monday-Thursday, then did my long run early Saturday mornings (before it got hot in the summer). Your long runs should start from 3miles to escalating to 20 miles (I never ran more than 20 before race day).

I also joined a running group. It really helps, cuz running for hours can get boring...lol

I wear Vomeros for intermediate runs (very cushy). But for longer I wear Equalons or Structure Triaxs.

Good work man. Very impressive at your weight. I have been telling myself that I need to run a marathon sooner or later. I might start training soon for onemaybe next summer. Personal goal.

Do you eat the whole pizza in one sitting? WHere from? Papa Johns? I would love a reason to eat a whole damn pizza in one setting

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

All that running in the 115 degree heat in Iraq has made my stamina pretty dang good.
Amen. I did the Balad 10-miler when I was over there the first time, and on my 2nd tour I had my 2-mile time down to 10:30, 5 mile to around 32 mins, and was running every other day.

Due to school and just being lazy I got away from running a bit, but we're doing both Hood-to-Coast and the Eugene Marathon for my work this upcoming summer. Needless to say, I've been hitting the pavement hard the last couple weeks.
Wow, I was in Balad (also Tikrit and Baghdad), for a stretch myself...cool. But dang sub 6minute mile for 2 miles is pretty impressive. Surprised the SF recruiter didn't try to talk with you, if he didn't already.

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

I ran a marathon and three half marathons before. 18 miles is no joke. If you can run 18-20 miles, you can do a full marathon.

My wife did the 2009 Chicago Triathlon this past year. I hate swimming or I'd give it a try. In 2010 I'm aiming to do some longer bike races.

Like the eating habits RyGuy mentioned, you will actually have to change your whole lifestyle. I started training in May for an October marathon. I did two intermediate runs during Monday-Thursday, then did my long run early Saturday mornings (before it got hot in the summer). Your long runs should start from 3 miles to escalating to 20 miles (I never ran more than 20 before race day).

I also joined a running group. It really helps, cuz running for hours can get boring...lol

I wear Vomeros for intermediate runs (very cushy). But for longer I wear Equalons or Structure Triaxs.
Flint, how are the Eqs and Structures for cushioning...at least in comparison to theVomeros?

BTW what I do for conditioning at least once but sometimes twice a week are treadmill intervals. I run 4 sets of .25mile sprints with a level 6-7 incline with at no less than 10 mph. The last set I crank it up to 11 mph. It wears you out, but once you rest and then run fordistance it makes it too easy and your times get better and better. I am sure I'm preaching to the choir to the guys that run in here.

Amen. I did the Balad 10-miler when I was over there the first time, and on my 2nd tour I had my 2-mile time down to 10:30, 5 mile to around 32 mins, and was running every other day.

Due to school and just being lazy I got away from running a bit, but we're doing both Hood-to-Coast and the Eugene Marathon for my work this upcoming summer. Needless to say, I've been hitting the pavement hard the last couple weeks.
Wow, I was in Balad (also Tikrit and Baghdad), for a stretch myself...cool. But dang sub 6 minute mile for 2 miles is pretty impressive. Surprised the SF recruiter didn't try to talk with you, if he didn't already.

The SF guys up in Mosul (where I did my 2nd tour) actually did some circuit training in the gym with the rest of us regular Army folks. Box jumps, squats,pull-ups - all different variatons and such. After that we'd usually go outside and do speed drills or sprints. Needless to say, I was in the best shape ofmy life at the end of the deployment.

Now I work in an IT department staring at computers all day.
ohwell.gif

Now I work in an IT department staring at computers all day.
ohwell.gif
i snapped a picture of chester at work the other day:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

I could not imagine running 16 miles straight... i try and run a mile at least everyday... but I just couldnt build motivation to run for nearly 3 hours

yo are you like 240 of gut of somewhat in shape/fluid hips still?

Back
Top Bottom