THIS MORNING I RAN 16 MILES NON-STOP...ON PAVEMENT WITH HILLS @ 240 lbs.

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

All that running in the 115 degree heat in Iraq has made my stamina pretty dang good.
Amen. I did the Balad 10-miler when I was over there the first time, and on my 2nd tour I had my 2-mile time down to 10:30, 5 mile to around 32 mins, and was running every other day.

Due to school and just being lazy I got away from running a bit, but we're doing both Hood-to-Coast and the Eugene Marathon for my work this upcoming summer. Needless to say, I've been hitting the pavement hard the last couple weeks.

Nice man on the Hood-to-Coast, I ran that last year and my team came in 30th overall. Was going to use Eugene as my first marathon til I wrecked my shouldersnowboarding a few days before and had to get surgery. I have ran in a few halfs so far, and am just now getting back into running shape, after Hood-to-CoastI got shin splints really bad. Also to prepare for that race, run alot of hills, both down and up. I got one of the steepest and longest downhills on thecourse and it killed my quads. Probably going to run in Eugene this year for the full, or if I find someone else to go with me, go down and run the Big SurMarathon.

As for shoes OP right now I have been running in Brooks ST Racers for the past year, replace them every 400 miles or so. I like racing flats just because theyare soft and light, and the Brooks are a little bit wider than Nikes which are normally a bit narrow for my feet.

All that running in the 115 degree heat in Iraq has made my stamina pretty dang good.
Amen. I did the Balad 10-miler when I was over there the first time, and on my 2nd tour I had my 2-mile time down to 10:30, 5 mile to around 32 mins, and was running every other day.

Due to school and just being lazy I got away from running a bit, but we're doing both Hood-to-Coast and the Eugene Marathon for my work this upcoming summer. Needless to say, I've been hitting the pavement hard the last couple weeks.
I will never run 10-miles again. I forget what time did you finish that hellish run? I remember you finished in front of me a ways and I did itin 90 minutes.

You my man are amazing. I can barely get through a mile without wanting to quit. Weak willpower, bad knees FTL.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Nice man on the Hood-to-Coast, I ran that last year and my team came in 30th overall. Was going to use Eugene as my first marathon til I wrecked my shoulder snowboarding a few days before and had to get surgery. I have ran in a few halfs so far, and am just now getting back into running shape, after Hood-to-Coast I got shin splints really bad. Also to prepare for that race, run alot of hills, both down and up. I got one of the steepest and longest downhills on the course and it killed my quads. Probably going to run in Eugene this year for the full, or if I find someone else to go with me, go down and run the Big Sur Marathon.

As for shoes OP right now I have been running in Brooks ST Racers for the past year, replace them every 400 miles or so. I like racing flats just because they are soft and light, and the Brooks are a little bit wider than Nikes which are normally a bit narrow for my feet.

Good tips - thanks dude. I'm working at getting back into shape but damn... it's rough right now. I need to get some new shoes, too... my knees arejacked a bit from the Army, and I think I need something with more cushioning. I'm just glad Eugene is AMAZING for running - so many trails and paths.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

I will never run 10-miles again. I forget what time did you finish that hellish run? I remember you finished in front of me a ways and I did it in 90 minutes.
laugh.gif
I did it in 79, Mejia did it in 77 and Knudsen did it in74 if I remember correctly.

So what do your eating habits look like when you are training for a marathon/triathlon? Before and after training sessions? Before the big race? Any help wouldsuffice

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

So what do your eating habits look like when you are training for a marathon/triathlon? Before and after training sessions? Before the big race? Any help would suffice
I would say the most important thing is to eat a good balanced meal within 60 minutes after you get done working out. Just go with the basic40-40-20. This is what I do if I am training, if not I feel sluggish the next day. I never take any supplements either, such as protein shakes or anything,just make sure my diet is pretty solid. Be sure to experiment with eating stuff before your workouts to make sure you are comfortable eating it before raceday. For me just an apple and maybe a bar with protein is all I need. Best think to to is just try out many different things and see what works best for you.

So what do your eating habits look like when you are training for a marathon/triathlon? Before and after training sessions? Before the big race? Any help would suffice
I would say the most important thing is to eat a good balanced meal within 60 minutes after you get done working out. Just go with the basic 40-40-20. This is what I do if I am training, if not I feel sluggish the next day. I never take any supplements either, such as protein shakes or anything, just make sure my diet is pretty solid. Be sure to experiment with eating stuff before your workouts to make sure you are comfortable eating it before race day. For me just an apple and maybe a bar with protein is all I need. Best think to to is just try out many different things and see what works best for you.
Thanks for that info!! Also dudes from Oregon running 10 miles at slightly over a 7 minutepace must be like dudes in Florida that run the 40yd dash in a 4.5 or less. Dang, what is it the air or something?

I would say the most important thing is to eat a good balanced meal within 60 minutes after you get done working out. Just go with the basic 40-40-20. This is what I do if I am training, if not I feel sluggish the next day. I never take any supplements either, such as protein shakes or anything, just make sure my diet is pretty solid. Be sure to experiment with eating stuff before your workouts to make sure you are comfortable eating it before race day. For me just an apple and maybe a bar with protein is all I need. Best think to to is just try out many different things and see what works best for you.
Thanks for that info!! Also dudes from Oregon running 10 miles at slightly over a 7 minute pace must be like dudes in Florida that run the 40yd dash in a 4.5 or less. Dang, what is it the air or something?
Well since we don't have electricity yet there isn't much else to do.

laugh.gif
@ ninja

yo chester... Those names you threw out there (Mejia, Knudsen) they from Eugene? I think I might have went to school with them.

Originally Posted by ACE BOMBER

laugh.gif
@ ninja

yo chester... Those names you threw out there (Mejia, Knudsen) they from Eugene? I think I might have went to school with them.
Well unless you're well into your 30s you didn't go to highschool with Mejia
laugh.gif

Knudsen is from Minnesota as I recall.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Originally Posted by ACE BOMBER

laugh.gif
@ ninja

Well unless you're well into your 30s you didn't go to highschool with Mejia
laugh.gif

Knudsen is from Minnesota as I recall.
haha word.... I went to school with a kid that had the last name Mejia and he ran cross country. Also the type I wouldn't be surprised if hewent into the military. Were you guys in the National Guard or Enlisted Army?

i have run the white rock marathon in dallas the last 4 yrs and did a ironman distance triathlon last sept in okc. it is very draining physically and mentally.i am 200 lbs and i love the vomero for all my runs. congrats and keep up the good work. i did the dallas marathon last sunday and still hurting a lil bit.

Originally Posted by krskix

i have run the white rock marathon in dallas the last 4 yrs and did a ironman distance triathlon last sept in okc. it is very draining physically and mentally. i am 200 lbs and i love the vomero for all my runs. congrats and keep up the good work. i did the dallas marathon last sunday and still hurting a lil bit.
Thanks man. How did you do in the Dallas Marathon? Running is more about physiology thaneven training. The bigger you are and the more muscle mass you have the more oxygen is consumed. That's why the slimmer less heavy guys can run forexcellent time even during extreme distances. At my current size 240, there is somewhat of a limit on how fast my pace can be over distance. When I lived inCali I once ran a 2 mile in 11:25...but then again I was only 217 lbs.

I do sprint quite well and I can carry a heavy load over distance with no problem at all. When I was in Iraq I carried a70 lb rucksack (a larger bigger capacity backpack) 2 miles in 20 minutes...then went right into the gym and did a upper body, lower body, and ab workout and Istill wasn't tired.

Y'all are lucky as he.ll to be able to run out doors at this type of the year.

For people in the Mid-West and East Coast, running outdoors is not an option once November rolls around.
laugh.gif

It's -10 celcius here and there is snow and ice all over the ground, running outside is almost impossible.

The most I ran was like 50 mins. straight back in the summer with a buddy. Running long distance is pretty easy...the main impediments IMO are mental strengthand joint pain. Long distance running is extremely boring and extremely taxing on the body. I personally want to do a 10-mile run in the near future just tosee if I can do it. 5-mile runs are a piece of cake but anything more than that seems like a real challenge.

If you want to get in shape or lose weight, there are far more efficient ways to do so than doing 5-10 mile runs.

BTW, I have a feeling that OP is gonna be in some serious pain over the next few days. Running that kind of distance is painful enough for average sizedpeople...now imagine how bad its gonna be for a 240-pound man
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

For people in the Mid-West and East Coast, running outdoors is not an option once November rolls around.
laugh.gif

It's -10 celcius here and there is snow and ice all over the ground, running outside is almost impossible.

The most I ran was like 50 mins. straight back in the summer with a buddy. Running long distance is pretty easy...the main impediments IMO are mental strength and joint pain. Long distance running is extremely boring and extremely taxing on the body. I personally want to do a 10-mile run in the near future just to see if I can do it. 5-mile runs are a piece of cake but anything more than that seems like a real challenge.

If you want to get in shape or lose weight, there are far more efficient ways to do so than doing 5-10 mile runs.

BTW, I have a feeling that OP is gonna be in some serious pain over the next few days. Running that kind of distance is painful enough for average sized people...now imagine how bad its gonna be for a 240-pound man
sick.gif
You are correct, there are ways to achieve those goals without running medium to longdistance. Some people (like myself) love the challenge, and believe it or not it does amazing things as far as clearing your mind.

Oh and as far as the pain, well like I mentioned before I was working out pretty hard in Iraq so my body stands uppretty well to abuse, I can run in extreme heat and also extreme cold without a problem. I just need a few days to acclimate.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

laugh.gif

The most I ran was like 50 mins. straight back in the summer with a buddy. Running long distance is pretty easy...the main impediments IMO are mental strength and joint pain. Long distance running is extremely boring and extremely taxing on the body. I personally want to do a 10-mile run in the near future just to see if I can do it. 5-mile runs are a piece of cake but anything more than that seems like a real challenge.

BTW, I have a feeling that OP is gonna be in some serious pain over the next few days. Running that kind of distance is painful enough for average sized people...now imagine how bad its gonna be for a 240-pound man
sick.gif

Out here in Oregon the weather isn't much better. Last week all my runs it was in the teens or low 20s, and this week has been non stop pouring ran. Aslong as I have the right gear though I am fine, snow though like you said would be difficult, can't run in that since injury risk is to high.

I've done 3 marathons and will be running Boston in April. Normal people have no comprehension of what being a runner is. All they see is the end result atthe finish line. What they don't see are the black toenails, $100 weekly grocery bills for just yourself, waking up at 5am to get a 10 miler in beforework. When I tell people I qualified for Boston after running a 2:58:01 last spring and they're "Oh, that's nice" I can only laugh. They haveno comprehension of the pain and sacrifices a lot of serious runners endure.

Originally Posted by jschue

I've done 3 marathons and will be running Boston in April. Normal people have no comprehension of what being a runner is. All they see is the end result at the finish line. What they don't see are the black toenails, $100 weekly grocery bills for just yourself, waking up at 5am to get a 10 miler in before work. When I tell people I qualified for Boston after running a 2:58:01 last spring and they're "Oh, that's nice" I can only laugh. They have no comprehension of the pain and sacrifices a lot of serious runners endure.
Nice!!!!!! You did work.

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

I ran a marathon and three half marathons before. 18 miles is no joke. If you can run 18-20 miles, you can do a full marathon.

My wife did the 2009 Chicago Triathlon this past year. I hate swimming or I'd give it a try. In 2010 I'm aiming to do some longer bike races.

Like the eating habits RyGuy mentioned, you will actually have to change your whole lifestyle. I started training in May for an October marathon. I did two intermediate runs during Monday-Thursday, then did my long run early Saturday mornings (before it got hot in the summer). Your long runs should start from 3 miles to escalating to 20 miles (I never ran more than 20 before race day).

I also joined a running group. It really helps, cuz running for hours can get boring...lol

I wear Vomeros for intermediate runs (very cushy). But for longer I wear Equalons or Structure Triaxs.
Flint, how are the Eqs and Structures for cushioning...at least in comparison to the Vomeros?

BTW what I do for conditioning at least once but sometimes twice a week are treadmill intervals. I run 4 sets of .25 mile sprints with a level 6-7 incline with at no less than 10 mph. The last set I crank it up to 11 mph. It wears you out, but once you rest and then run for distance it makes it too easy and your times get better and better. I am sure I'm preaching to the choir to the guys that run in here.

Elder, I'd say you are on the right track. Two things the running group brought to me was speed and strength training - and it sounds like you are doingthe right things if you want to do some longer races.

You are going to laugh, but one thing I did was yoga. One of my running coaches taught it (she was hot too, FTW - lol) but it really helped me with mybreathing and flexibility. The class I did was all marathoners and triathletes. I had plantar fasciatis in both my feet, so it was recommended to me by myphysical therapist. It truly did help.

I am a neutral runner with slight pronation, so the Structure Triax and Equalon works great for me. I could get away with Vomeros, but I like the extra bit ofsupport over cushioning . Vomeros are like running on pillows, man. I ventured into New Balance this year and have run in the NB769 lately.

My piece of advice: start running more outside. It will get you more acclimated to distance and actual race day situations than a treadmill. I know its hard torun outside in winter weather (depending on where you live) but I seriously can't run more than 3 miles on a treadmill without going crazy. Running outsideis the best.

I ran a marathon and three half marathons before. 18 miles is no joke. If you can run 18-20 miles, you can do a full marathon.

My wife did the 2009 Chicago Triathlon this past year. I hate swimming or I'd give it a try. In 2010 I'm aiming to do some longer bike races.

Like the eating habits RyGuy mentioned, you will actually have to change your whole lifestyle. I started training in May for an October marathon. I did two intermediate runs during Monday-Thursday, then did my long run early Saturday mornings (before it got hot in the summer). Your long runs should start from 3 miles to escalating to 20 miles (I never ran more than 20 before race day).

I also joined a running group. It really helps, cuz running for hours can get boring...lol

I wear Vomeros for intermediate runs (very cushy). But for longer I wear Equalons or Structure Triaxs.
Flint, how are the Eqs and Structures for cushioning...at least in comparison to the Vomeros?

BTW what I do for conditioning at least once but sometimes twice a week are treadmill intervals. I run 4 sets of .25 mile sprints with a level 6-7 incline with at no less than 10 mph. The last set I crank it up to 11 mph. It wears you out, but once you rest and then run for distance it makes it too easy and your times get better and better. I am sure I'm preaching to the choir to the guys that run in here.

Elder, I'd say you are on the right track. Two things the running group brought to me was speed and strength training - and it sounds like you are doing the right things if you want to do some longer races.

You are going to laugh, but one thing I did was yoga. One of my running coaches taught it (she was hot too, FTW - lol) but it really helped me with my breathing and flexibility. The class I did was all marathoners and triathletes. I had plantar fasciatis in both my feet, so it was recommended to me by my physical therapist. It truly did help.

I am a neutral runner with slight pronation, so the Structure Triax and Equalon works great for me. I could get away with Vomeros, but I like the extra bit of support over cushioning . Vomeros are like running on pillows, man. I ventured into New Balance this year and have run in the NB769 lately.

My piece of advice: start running more outside. It will get you more acclimated to distance and actual race day situations than a treadmill. I know its hard to run outside in winter weather (depending on where you live) but I seriously can't run more than 3 miles on a treadmill without going crazy. Running outside is the best.
Hey Flint, I do run outside, my run today was all outside and it was around 30 degrees thismorning, but I have run in the snow before so that's not a problem. You start to warm up at around the half a mile. Matter of fact I don't wear ajacket, just my long sleeve Dri-fit or my long sleeve underarmour. I only run on the treadmill for my sprint intervals with an incline so I can better controlthe variables (speed and incline).

I'm with you I'd go crazy on a treadmill for anything more than a few miles. There is no way I could run 16 on abelt
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm in shape (physically) but my cardio is pathetic....I don't think I've ever run 5 miles before.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom