THIS MORNING I RAN 16 MILES NON-STOP...ON PAVEMENT WITH HILLS @ 240 lbs.

Originally Posted by jschue

I've done 3 marathons and will be running Boston in April. Normal people have no comprehension of what being a runner is. All they see is the end result at the finish line. What they don't see are the black toenails, $100 weekly grocery bills for just yourself, waking up at 5am to get a 10 miler in before work. When I tell people I qualified for Boston after running a 2:58:01 last spring and they're "Oh, that's nice" I can only laugh. They have no comprehension of the pain and sacrifices a lot of serious runners endure.
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

good lord!!! that is SERIOUS!

Originally Posted by ACE BOMBER

I've done 3 marathons and will be running Boston in April. Normal people have no comprehension of what being a runner is. All they see is the end result at the finish line. What they don't see are the black toenails, $100 weekly grocery bills for just yourself, waking up at 5am to get a 10 miler in before work. When I tell people I qualified for Boston after running a 2:58:01 last spring and they're "Oh, that's nice" I can only laugh. They have no comprehension of the pain and sacrifices a lot of serious runners endure.
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

good lord!!! that is SERIOUS!
Much props, JSchue. Wow, you qualifed easily.....isn't the cutoff 3:15 if you are under 40? I'll be there in April (not running - mysister in law is doing her second).

FLINTGREY wrote:Much props, JSchue. Wow, you qualifed easily.....isn't the cutoff 3:15 if you are under 40? I'll be there in April (not running - my sister in law is doing her second).

For my age (28) the qualifying time is 3:10- about 7:15 min/mile. I hope you booked a hotel already if you need one in Boston that weekend. Ijust booked mine and they're a b to find anywhere close to the city.

How'd those friends and family coupons work out?
nerd.gif

FLINTGREY wrote:Much props, JSchue. Wow, you qualifed easily.....isn't the cutoff 3:15 if you are under 40? I'll be there in April (not running - my sister in law is doing her second).
For my age (28) the qualifying time is 3:10- about 7:15 min/mile (for 26.2 miles). I hope you booked a hotel already if you need one in Boston that weekend. I just booked mine and they're a b to find anywhere close to the city.

How'd those friends and family coupons work out?
nerd.gif

I mean that is crazy. A 7:15 mile pace is not really that slow, not the fastest but stilldecent...but to think a person keeping that pace for 26+ miles is ridiculously amazing. For the dudes who finish marathons in just over 2 hours, that isungodly. The human body is capable of some amazing feats, but like I said earlier it's more about physiology than anything else. A guy my size (6'6240) is not going to do a marathon time like that. It would definitely be the exception and not the rule. I'm just happy to get distance without stoppingto walk, regardless of my time, I know I can't compete with runners like jschue...not now, not ever.

Awesome Job Man.!!! one heck of a run... Years ago when all i did was play ball each and every night, I thought i was in really good shape, but for some reasonI felt like I could not run more than a mile before I got way to worn out to finish anything more, then I realized it was all mental.. If I can play ball for4-5 hours a night, I should be in good enough shape to run a mile.. then i got on the treadmill and ran 30 mins non stop.. it was all mental, after that it waseasy...

And HIIT (high intensity intervual training) is better for those wanting to burn weight, since you burn more calories not only during your session, but afteras well...But Long runs are better for your heart as you are doing cardio for a longer amount of time, working the heart at a less intense rate, but longertime frame.. In my opinion its better to do a mixture of both...

im doing my first half marathon this january...been running for the past 2 months now...its all 5 miles though but i will be pickin up the mileage now sincethe goal is 13+

I keep my running down to about 2 miles a day...if i stray to far from home I fear I might get "Runner's trot" which has happened to me twice
ohwell.gif

I need to start running and lose some lbs... i'm 185 lbs at only 5'10 (some muscle, but alot in the mid-section
smh.gif
)

Anyway, for you guys running around 5am, do you eat anything before heading out? like a meal, energy bar, or coffee? or you just go straight out on an emptystomach?

Also, for the runners here... do you still lift weights? like squats, leg curls/extensions, calf raises, etc... would that help your running or actually slowyou down?

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

I need to start running and lose some lbs... i'm 185 lbs at only 5'10 (some muscle, but alot in the mid-section
smh.gif
)

Anyway, for you guys running around 5am, do you eat anything before heading out? like a meal, energy bar, or coffee? or you just go straight out on an empty stomach?

Also, for the runners here... do you still lift weights? like squats, leg curls/extensions, calf raises, etc... would that help your running or actually slow you down?

you will get alot of different answers on if you should run on a empty stomach at an early hour or not. Some will say since you are running on an emptystomach that you are starting with a chaloric deficiency that you will burn fat and not any calories that you would of just taken in had you ate something.(this is my belief as well) But others will say that you should not since it will burn muscle as well.. I agree with that you can burn muscle , but your bodyuses stored energy first (fat cells) at a higer % than muscle.. so from my experience, I actually noticed the best and most effiecent fat loss when running inthe AM on an empty stomach.. I also never noticed a decrease in Muscle Mass.... I did it for about 3 weeks and noticed the biggest drop in BF% and shedding offat.. and now that I look back at pics, I looked the best I did muscle mass wise as well...

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

Also, for the runners here... do you still lift weights? like squats, leg curls/extensions, calf raises, etc... would that help your running or actually slow you down?

Lifting weights is a good idea. Runners tend to develop strong quads and weak hamstrings and things like squats an leg presses are good to even out muscleimbalances. They even help the quads and can help alleviate patella femoral pain- that nasty pain in the knee from your kneecap not tracking correctly andrubbing underlying cartilage. Upper body exercises like presses and even bicep curls are beneficial to strengthen the chest and core to help keep form easierwhen exhaustion sets in during runs. Emphasis should be on reps instead of weight though- think 15-20 reps per set. The last thing a runner wants to do isgain mass.

jw how many days a week do u guys who are legit runners run? and if ur doing a workout for ur legs do u also run that day?

This may seem like a silly question but do you consider long distance running to be healthy, jschue?

The toll it takes on the body, the heart, the central nervous system, etc. seem to outweigh the benefits of long-distance running (I could be wrong).

I'm not comparing long distance running to living a completely dormant lifestyle. I'm comparing it to just casually working out/exercising/playingsports 4-5x a week.

Every time I hear about marathon runners dying of heart-attacks, it scares me even more from possibly running a half-marathon or marathon in the future. Thesepeople are super healthy but their hearts can only handle too much.

I run 6 days a week and cross train on the 7th- usually an hour or so on my road bike or stationary if it's too cold out. I only lift 2 maybe 3 times aweek and those days are ALWAYS on my easy days where I run for feel and distance rather than a specific workout. I'll try to lift in the morning and runlater on in the day. I feel it loosens anything up I worked on earlier and gets the kinks out before the next day's workout.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

This may seem like a silly question but do you consider long distance running to be healthy, jschue?

The toll it takes on the body, the heart, the central nervous system, etc. seem to outweigh the benefits of long-distance running (I could be wrong).

I'm not comparing long distance running to living a completely dormant lifestyle. I'm comparing it to just casually working out/exercising/playing sports 4-5x a week.

Every time I hear about marathon runners dying of heart-attacks, it scares me even more from possibly running a half-marathon or marathon in the future. These people are super healthy but their hearts can only handle too much.
Working out and cross training 4-5 times a week would probably be ideal but man, it gets sooo addictive if you get too far in. Most people willrun through pain than miss a day off in fear of loosing fitness. Ibuprofen is a runner's best friend. A lot of the people you hear about dieing runningmarathons had some underlying problem like heart disease or heart irregularity. Ryan Shay, the runner who died in the US Olympic marathon trials, wasdiagnosed as a kid with an abnormally large heart. Its stuff like that that gets people in trouble.

Right now I am running about 5 days a week just 25-30 miles. When I start training for a marathon in the spring, that number will probably jump up to 6 days aweek and 50-65 miles per week. Some people I know who run professionally run 80-100 miles per week, and when trainign before a marathon will kick it up to 120+a few weeks before.

You guys are gettin me motivated to start running again! I used to run about 20-25 miles a week but when I started having work (50 hrs/wk) + school (halftime,10 hrs/wk) = Not enough time in the day to run and still get homework and everyday life taken care of... I gotta get back into it. The feeling you get afterhaving a good/great run is awesome! I've entertained the idea of doing the Eugene half this year but I'd really have to get crackin...

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I'm not comparing long distance running to living a completely dormant lifestyle. I'm comparing it to just casually working out/exercising/playing sports 4-5x a week.

Every time I hear about marathon runners dying of heart-attacks, it scares me even more from possibly running a half-marathon or marathon in the future. These people are super healthy but their hearts can only handle too much.
Working out and cross training 4-5 times a week would probably be ideal but man, it gets sooo addictive if you get too far in. Most people will run through pain than miss a day off in fear of loosing fitness. Ibuprofen is a runner's best friend. A lot of the people you hear about dieing running marathons had some underlying problem like heart disease or heart irregularity. Ryan Shay, the runner who died in the US Olympic marathon trials, was diagnosed as a kid with an abnormally large heart. Its stuff like that that gets people in trouble.

Disclaimer: I am not a runner per se. I do run regularly and sometime for medium distancebut not a runner in the sense of Jschue and a few others in here. I am just a former athlete that has a love/hate relationship with running. I hate it , but Ilove it.

Anyway the text I highlighted is SO true. Take for example this morning for me....I had one full day of rest after my 16 miler, and my mind is telling me takeone more day then get some incline sprint intervals in tomorrow...but I am afraid that I will lose any benefit I gained from running the day before yesterdayso I am going to do my intervals today EVEN though I am still a little tender.

Back
Top Bottom