Thoughts on the Johnathon Martin - Ritchie Incognito situation?

Transcripts of voice mail messages and text messages left for the Miami Dolphins' Jonathan Martin by teammate Richie Incognito indicate a pattern of racial epithets and profane language.

Multiple sources confirmed to ESPN that the following is a transcript of a voice message Incognito left for Martin in April 2013, a year after Martin was drafted:

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that officials from both the NFL and the Dolphins have heard the tape and have copies of the message.

Sources familiar with the tapes say these are terms Incognito used over time and were not isolated incidents, including the use of the racial epithet multiple times.

Sources also say Martin received a series of texts that include derogatory terms referring to the female anatomy and sexual orientation.

Incognito was suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins on Sunday night for conduct detrimental to the team.

In a statement announcing his suspension, the Dolphins said, "we believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time. As we noted earlier, we reached out to the NFL to conduct an objective and thorough review. We will continue to work with the league on this matter."

Incognito, who has been a part of Miami's six-player leadership council, started all eight games for the Dolphins (4-4). He will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. Backup guard Nate Garner will start in his place.

Martin left the team last week after a lunchroom incident. It is unknown whether and when Martin plans to return to the team. The Dolphins have until 4 p.m. ET Tuesday to take him off the non-football-related illness list.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...-dolphins-used-slurs-messages-jonathan-martin

I knew there was more to the story when I heard about it last week.

I was cool with hazing but Incognito needs to get kicked off that team. :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

How would you handle this situation as a player? I've seen some people talk about Martin should've manned up but this isn't 2nd grade. These dudes could easily kill each other in a fight.

Last edited:
Clear out any/everybody that knew about it.

Anyone

Richie, Philbin, Ireland, Martin, Pouncey, anyone. If stuff was going on that shouldn't be going on, don't cover it up or try to "fix" it, sweep them all out.

Every last one.

I have no clue what is really happening in that lockerroom, nor does anyone else, but if the NFL and the NFLPA find wrongdoing, then those people need to be gone immediately.

CP: Props for mentioning Pouncey. If he was truly involved, I hope he doesn't get a pass for being a good football player.

Steelers would scoop him with a quickness.

Incognito is a serious mental case but Martin is a pansy tho, how do you let some man get in between your livelihood? How do you just leave the team because some idiot is hazing you?

Get over it, make your money, and work hard. Incognito will get his soon enough.

Incognito is a serious mental case but Martin is a pansy tho, how do you let some man get in between your livelihood? How do you just leave the team because some idiot is hazing you?

Get over it, make your money, and work hard. Incognito will get his soon enough.
Na he did the right thing.

Only "wannabe tough guys" stand up for themselves apparently 
laugh.gif

Incognito has been a head case for years and the league hasn't done much about it. One of the dirtest players I've seen in a while :smh: ...

He's not going down by himself though, pretty sure there will be a list of names to come out.

You guys think these type of incidents are happening on other teams? I know veterans make rookies pay for dinner bills, but using them as their personal ATMs and forcing them to put up money for vacations they don't want to attend sounds absurd.

I heard that Incognito forced Martin to give up 15 grand for a Vegas trip that he didn't even go on! Im sorry, I won't even throw in 5 bucks on a bday cake if I'm not eating it. Obviously Incognito is an idiot and deserves to be suspended for a long time, but Martin needs to stand up for himself at his job.

Honestly I wouldn't want either guy on my team.

Why didnt Martin stand up for himself? way i was raised if you talk **** and try to bully you better be prepared to throw down. this aint no linemen bullying a kicker situation either these are 2 big dudes. aint no OC or line coach going to want this dude on his line.

would like to see this guy try to bully alex boone or joe staley. :evil:

Last edited:
Martin's rationale was to take the high road. Contributing a portion of 15K saved him trouble/confrontation, in his mind.

Just like when pressed about the reason for his departure. Martin still feared to implicate Incognito for backlash, retribution.

Na he did the right thing.

Only "wannabe tough guys" stand up for themselves apparently 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
    it's the wussifiaction of America.   if me, you, or whoever else decides to stand up for themselves in a hostile situation we're labeled "wannabe tough guys" or "internet thugs"   funny how that works.

i feel some sympathy for martin and its a bad situation but like i stated in the other thread, where do you draw the line as a man and say enough is enough.

when dez bryant was a rookie, roy williams tried to boss him around and make him carry his pads.  dez stood up for himself and told him no

i guess not everyone is built for confrontation though.  

it's a bad look on coach philbins part for not  putting a stop to this situation when martin initally went to him about it though.  he lost his son in an accident last year. you would think that would make him sensitive about the situation if it indeed was that bad.  

lack of leadership in the locker room is a cause for stuff like this to happen though.

Yall gotta realize that not everyone is wired the same way. It's kinda hard to criticize the guy when you just don't know what he's dealing with emotionally.

Hopefully this is the last we see of Richie Igcognito in the NFL.

*edit* A lot of times when "enough becomes enough" is when you see the victim take drastic measures....whether it is to harm/kill themselves or others.

Last edited:
i understand that.   if he does have something emotionally or mentally wrong with him then that's an entirely different situaton and something made him tick.

incognito is a punk,  but this is more of a black eye on philbin and the teammates if they knew what was going on and turned a blind eye to it.

you would think if it was really that bad, someone that has some type of leadership role on the team would eventually tell incognito to cut it out that he's going to far.

^ exactly

Dude is wired the same way Dez Bryant is. You guys can call him a punk or "wussification", the fact is that he handled it professionally. Locker room isnt the street, it's a work place.

Yall gotta realize that not everyone is wired the same way. It's kinda hard to criticize the guy when you just don't know what he's dealing with emotionally.

Hopefully this is the last we see of Richie Igcognito in the NFL.

*edit* A lot of times when "enough becomes enough" is when you see the victim take drastic measures....whether it is to harm/kill themselves or others.

Exactly happens way too often with people being bullied. Some people sound like the "real men don't cry and can't have emotions crowd". Martin handled this the perfect way and I'm glad Richie is being outed for the scumbag he is, a lockerroom is a family I get tough love etc, but that stops at a point and Martin probably thought he was done with this in his second year when a new crop of rookies came in but nope! This is bullying at its finest. People aren't wired the same, and you know full well people in this lockerroom knew details of this yet did nothing. Are they scared of Incognito too? Martin had a rep for being "different" called him Big Weirdo, he probably is a strange fit for that locker room...but why the hell would you want to make someone's life a livng nightmare?. :smh:

This Dolphins lockerroom is a JOKE. There's apparently another offensive young player who is being extorted by older teammmates and living paycheck to paycheck bc every weekend they are making them pay for large team meals. That's beyond hazing.

Last edited:
I wonder if Jake Long had any input or was apart of this seeing as he was Incognito's buddy. What a shame.

If Martin would have come back with a bat and broken his legs, the world would be a better place.

From what you hear, most people were taking Incognito's side on this.

Back
Top Bottom