Tiger blasts Garcia for 'fried chicken' slur, calls it 'wrong, hurtful'

the nomad

Banned
[h1]Tiger blasts Garcia for 'fried chicken' slur, calls it 'wrong, hurtful'[/h1]
  • By MARK CANNIZZARO
  • Last Updated:  9:16 AM, May 22, 2013
  • Posted: 1:56 AM, May 22, 2013
The Tiger Woods-Sergio Garcia saga went down a low road yesterday — so much so, Garcia could face repercussions for some thoughtless and careless comments that went over the line.

According to the Guardian newspaper, at the European Tour’s awards dinner last night at the BMW PGA Championship in Virginia Water, England, Garcia was jokingly asked if he would invite Woods for dinner during next month’s U.S. Open and Garcia responded by saying, “We will have him ’round every night. We will serve fried chicken.”

Garcia issued a semi-apology through the European Tour for the remark, saying, “I apologize for any offense that may have been caused by my comment on stage during the European Tour Players’ Awards dinner. I answered a question that was clearly made toward me as a joke with a silly remark, but in no way was the comment meant in a racist manner.”

22.3s058.Sergio--300x300.jpg

Getty Images

NO LOVE LOST:  Sergio Garcia (left) — who has had a series of run-ins with Tiger Woods — said he “apologized for any offense that might have been caused” for saying he would serve fried chicken at a dinner for Woods.

sergio_garcia--300x300.jpg

SERGIO GARCIA  
In hot water over remark.

Woods responded on Twitter this morning, rebuking Garcia for the line and disagreeing with the spin the Spaniard tried to put on it .

"The comment that was made wasn’t silly. It was wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate, " Woods said. "I’m confident that there is real regret that the remark was made."

The last time someone ignorantly used a “fried chicken’’ racial joke referring to Woods, Fuzzy Zoeller’s career as golf’s funnyman ended abruptly.

After Woods won the Masters in 1997, Zoeller said, “You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not to serve fried chicken next year [at the annual champions dinner]. Got it? Or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve.”

Zoeller was skewered so severely after making those off-handed comments, his career was never the same.

Woods added on the social network that he hopes this is the final chapter in the increasingly ugly feud between him and Garcia.

"The Players ended nearly two weeks ago and it’s long past time to move on and talk about golf," he wrote.

Garcia is still ticked off at Woods for their spat at The Players Championship two weeks ago when the Spaniard accused Woods of intentionally distracting him during the third round, in which they were paired together.

That turned into a verbal tiff through the media.

On Monday, Garcia ripped Woods in an interview with golf.com, saying, “He called me a whiner. He’s probably right. But that’s also probably the first thing he’s told you guys [the media] that’s true in 15 years. I know what he’s like. You guys are finding out.”

On Monday, Woods told reporters he had no intention of reaching out to Garcia to clear the air about their Players Championship set-to.

Garcia, asked the same thing, said, “First of all, I don’t have his number, and secondly, I did nothing wrong and don’t have anything to say to him. And he wouldn’t pick up the phone anyway.

“But that’s OK. I don’t need him as a friend. I don’t need him in my life to be happy and that’s fine. It’s as simple as that.

“I try to be as truthful as possible. That’s why I think sometimes most of the people love me and some hate me. I understand that but I’m not going to change. That’s what makes me who I am and that’s what makes me happy. And that’s what makes the people I care about happy because they know they can trust me.

“Tiger doesn’t make a difference to my life. And I know that I don’t make a difference to his life.”

Garcia said he doesn’t anticipate his relationship with Woods getting any better.

“This is not just one thing; this has been going on for a long time,” he said. “It’s happened in other tournaments. The problem is I’m one of the guys that just has to say something. A lot of people think about it, but don’t want to say anything. Tiger can and will beat me a lot of times in tournaments, but he’s not going to step on top of me. I’m not afraid of him.”

no one respects Tiger...and as a black man he does not deserve it.

an an individual of African American descent he has done everything possible to not acknowledge who he is.

and now of all the emotions you feel...you're "hurt"?

pull your skirt down. you're a sellout chump, and everyone knows that.

that's why no one has had a problem taking racial shots at him publicly.

Where did I say it was? This is a non story at this point. We went through this in 1997. Why go through the same thing. Stop your nonsense man.
So I ask again sixteen years later (Fuzzy Zoeller), is this STILL acceptable? Tiger Wood is an AMERICAN ICON who's kept the spectator sport RELEVANT and PROFITABLE for over sixteen years.

But that's beside the point, you're saying blatant racism is non story?

and if anyone is going to hit me with that bs about him not being African American due to any other ethnic background that he has..just save that.

his dad was black, he has black in him, then point blank you are considered black.

and he has been treated as such his entire career.

but truth be told the white public can have this dude man.

an an individual of African American descent he has done everything possible to not acknowledge who he is.

I'm willing to believe that even if he embraced his black heritage, he would still get a lot of racial arrows fired his way.

Where did I say it was? This is a non story at this point. We went through this in 1997. Why go through the same thing. Stop your nonsense man.

So I ask again sixteen years later (Fuzzy Zoeller), is this STILL acceptable? Tiger Wood is an AMERICAN ICON who's kept the spectator sport RELEVANT and PROFITABLE for over sixteen years.

But that's beside the point, you're saying blatant racism is non story?

I'm saying the story between these two is a non story at this point. Tiger is in the golf world, he is and has been aware of how he's viewed despite his great play. Let's not be naive here. The issue has been dealt with before, why are you trying to make an issue out of old ****? It's never acceptable, but at this point it's like whatever, you expect it. Vijay Singh is also racist, you wanna bring that up to? Give it a rest.

BEH if anyone else besides Nomad made this you wouldn't react like that :smh:

But this has been done before, no? Tiger and Sergio have been going back and forth for two weeks now. I'm tired of it, and it's an obvious (and poor) troll attempt by Sergio because he can't beat Tiger. How can you be so sure about my reaction?

Last edited:
Yes, and it has. I can't recall exactly what he said, but he too has made very racially insensitive remarks in the past.
Racially insensitive...look up this dude here. 

The treatment he received is racist...his name is Lee Elder. 

This is was the cover put out after the white chick said something along the lines of Tiger should be lynched...racism is still prevalent in golf and it will more than likely remain so. 

Garcia - 0 Majors
Woods - 14majors

Garcia is salty because he was suppose to be the next big thing in the 90s but instead tiger came and stole his thunder. I am sure tiger faced ALOT worse in his career.

But this has been done before, no? Tiger and Sergio have been going back and forth for two weeks now. I'm tired of it, and it's an obvious (and poor) troll attempt by Sergio because he can't beat Tiger. How can you be so sure about my reaction?

Because you always fire at nomad :lol: :lol:

The arguing is tired between them but it obv took an ignorant turn yesterday. Sergio is going to regret it.

I'm willing to believe that even if he embraced his black heritage, he would still get a lot of racial arrows fired his way.
no doubt

i'm guessing dude just doesn't feel sorry for tiger because he publicly doesn't accept his roots  

spanish folks always outta line.....whether black or asian 
mean.gif

I'm saying the story between these two is a non story at this point. Tiger is in the golf world, he is and has been aware of how he's viewed despite his great play. Let's not be naive here. The issue has been dealt with before, why are you trying to make an issue out of old ****? It's never acceptable, but at this point it's like whatever, you expect it. Vijay Singh is also racist, you wanna bring that up to? Give it a rest.
You sound stupid, and neglegent. What you're failing to realize is passive observation is what allows the self-entitled racist to survive in a progressive nation. The rich and elite are majority white, and even though each individual may not be racist themselves in order to survive financially there's certain levels of ignorance they're willing to except.

Silence is a power tool of negotiation because it can discredit the possibility of social change, which is the same reason the government doesn't doesn't address conspiracy accusations. The oldest trick in the book of conservatism.

Back
Top Bottom