tipping at... fast food spots?

I'm at this place in Dallas called chicken express... real cool place.

You order your food thru drive thru, and wheel around. Instead of them handing you thru the window, they walk about 0-15 feet to bring you your food.

They also have a place where you pull in and wait, like at a Sonic ...

The lady comes out to get my money, and hands me the food. I give her my card... and say "can I have some ketchup please"

She says sure...

When she comes back with my card, she says, albeit in a nice way "you can request everything at the window... so it can be all brought to you... even tthough you dont tip"

I was like :wow: . Is she serious?

I go there a lot so she's brought my food several times...

I NEVER tipped, but I always thought, for WHAT REASON ... what service did you provide for me?

You aineem take my order.
Totally different from a restaurant ... this is a fried chicken fast food joint and this bird got snappy with me.

Am I supposed to tip at places like this?

Last edited:
only time ive ever tipped at a fast food place spot was wieners circle in chicago...

Places like that don't deserve tips but I will throw a dollar to em if I'm feeling good

never even thought to tip at a fast food joint; I always tip 20% in a sit down restaurant unless the service is very bad then I do 15%

Another tip thread lmao. You're a bad person because you didn't tip.

They deserve 20% at the minimum if they're having a bad day. If you don't, cook your own meals and get your own drinks.

Nope, the tip jars have gotten out of hand. They put these tip jars at every fast food place now, even Dunkin Doughnuts. Really, I should give a tip for putting a doughnut in a bag and pouring a cup of coffee?

My expectation of fast food is just that they give me what I order. You don't deserve a tip for not messing up my order and putting it in a bag.

Being in the same area as you and knowing about these fast good places, I never tip. I don't really feel guilty about it either. It's not that I'm a **** that doesn't tip (reminds me of Reservoir Dogs), but they're just like any other fast food place to me. I guess I somewhat tip when I let them keep an extra dollar or two, but that's really only at sonic.

Last edited:

You order your food thru drive thru, and wheel around. Instead of them handing you thru the window, they walk about 0-15 feet to bring you your food.

For real? The one I go to has a window (I think). But then again, every time I go there I dine-in.

On an unrelated matter, are you supposed to tip at a Steak n Shake if you dine-in? I thought it was like any other fast food place (they have a drive-thru) but when you go in, its like a full service restaurant with waiters and ****. I ain't know what was happening.

My rule of thumb is... unless you tell me your name, I'm not obligated to tip you.

Any sit down place with a waiter or waitress, they're taking orders, refilling drinks, etc., they obviously expect and deserve a tip.

Any place like a Sonic or a takeout place where they're not doing extra work other than cooking the food, I'm not planning on tipping. Most places still might have a tip line but that could be explained by it's just the kind of receipts they ordered and they figured why not hope some people decide to tip.

And another tipping thread on here :smh: :lol: I'm sure this will go smoothly.

For real? The one I go to has a window (I think). But then again, every time I go there I dine-in.

On an unrelated matter, are you supposed to tip at a Steak n Shake if you dine-in? I thought it was like any other fast food place (they have a drive-thru) but when you go in, its like a full service restaurant with waiters and ****. I ain't know what was happening.

You kind of answered your own question.. inside it's a full service restaurant. It would be a different story if you placed your order, then sat yourself and they only brought out food.

Last edited:
I NEVER tip at Chicken E. Place is the truth tho. Give me a #1 with a biscuit, fries, and gravy and i'm set for the day .:smokin

I feel like I should tip though because none of the girls that work there are ugly. There are three around here and some of the girls are even :evil: ... but lack customer service skills :lol:

Oh btw any of my dfw cats tip at Fuzzy's? :nerd:

Last edited:
Tip at only sit down. I never do it at sonic though, even though I eat there like 3 times a week lol

I'm a big proponent of tipping...

but no way I'm tipping just for them ringing up my order.

I hate when I go to a mom & pop food spot and they print out the receipt with the "tip" line.

They watch you sign to see if you're going to tip, no way papi, I slash thru that sucker and go about my business.

Back
Top Bottom