Tipping etiquette when you're being treated

But let's just act like I'm a son of a ***** and not talk about how employees are able to pass the responsibility and costs of paying their employees onto the consumer, or how such a "system" creates people who feel entitled to it either way and therefore aren't very motivated to provided service commensurate with the type of bonus compensation they claim they deserve and if that's why service is so much better internationally.
you might disagree with tipping "system" as its currently set up but that doesnt give you a free pass to act like an ***. Theres an implied social contract that when you go out to eat, you have to pay your server a certain amount to make up for their low wage. You do realize that your meal and drinks are cheaper because they are only paid 2 bucks an hour by the restaurant, right? Get off your high horse and stop acting like youre leading some noble one manned protest against an unjust and repressive system. You're cheap and looking for an excuse. Also, you should try to be a little less judgmental in your daily life. Stop acting like you know everything about a person just because theyre a waiter.

you might disagree with tipping "system" as its currently set up but that doesnt give you a free pass to act like an ***. Theres an implied social contract that when you go out to eat, you have to pay your server a certain amount to make up for their low wage. You do realize that your meal and drinks are cheaper because they are only paid 2 bucks an hour by the restaurant, right? Get off your high horse and stop acting like youre leading some noble one manned protest against an unjust and repressive system. You're cheap and looking for an excuse. Also, you should try to be a little less judgmental in your daily life. Stop acting like you know everything about a person just because theyre a waiter.
As opposed to people acting like they know everything about me because I don't agree with tipping?

I know I know, if we didn't tip then the food would be more expensive. And I'd be perfectly fine with that. Put a sign outside the door, that's fine. If you want $100 for a chicken parmesan and raspberry tea, fine as obviously the consumer will be the one to decide if they are willing to pay that or not.

And :lol: at again calling me cheap, like you didn't just do what you wined I am. Judgmental? Check. acting like you know everything about a person? Check. If I just dropped "X" for some food, do you really think it would hurt me to X times 1.18? Hint, it wouldn't by a long shot. In fact, I doubt anybody treads so tightly between being able to afford a luxury of having food prepared for them, and the poor house. Being cheap is the last on the list of reasons tipping is stupid, otherwise I wouldn't want to eat out to begin with because I could generally make the same thing at home for a fraction of the price.

And nobody has still explained the need to tip "service" employees who make above minimum wage (which again, where I live they all make at least minimum wage because the employer has to foot the bill when tips don't add up) or how this list of "people I am supposed to tip," keeps growing. It would be shorter to just list who you can not tip and nobody will try to excommunicate you from society and call you names over it.

Dirty, the same could be said about anyone on any topic that comes up repeatedly.

Last edited:
I don't tip people to bring my food out. Do you guys tip the guy at footlocker to bring out your shoes?
The people who do deserve tips in my opinion are the UPS/Fedex/USPS delivery guys on those days where it is incredibly hot/cold or pouring rain and they don't accept tips, although I do give them a cold water when they come to my door and deliver a package.

:nerd:

No. They don't. :frown:

Man I tipped pizza delivery girl like 3.50 (my total was 16.50) and I called because the pizza was undercooked so she came back to give me 16.50 back, is that justifiable or shady?

P.s. I tossed that pizza right in the oven after I got my refund lol

Is it not more disrespectful if you're leaving pocket change as tips, as opposed to leaving nothing at all

Like others have said, you just tip accordingly in relation to the type of restaurant you're at. I tip at All you can eat sushi, just not nearly as much than at a fancy restaurant

It's a pointless argument with DatZNasty, he's got his mind made up already

Ehhh... I don't even care any more, I always pay with my card anyway, and just add $5.00 or more (depending on type of restaurant) on top of the total.

Ehhh... I don't even care any more, I always pay with my card anyway, and just add $5.00 or more (depending on type of restaurant) on top of the total.

this, I'll tip 5 or enough to make it an even numer like 20.00....call me weird.

I was treated out to lunch the other day and we had a really good waiter. He was really attentive and went above and beyond, even when we were really slow ordering. However, when we got the bill, my hosts didn't really pay him any kind of tip. I don't even think we gave 5%. Our waiter wasn't around after he gave us the tab back, and he was like a high school student so I knew how money's tight when you're a kid.
What do you do in this situation? I'm not trying to be impolite to my hosts but I'm also not trying to short-change someone who deserves more.
And this isn't an argument over whether one should tip.
i'd throw a couple extra bucks in his little book with your tab and say to the hosts that you wanted to throw in a little extra from yourself because he did such a good job.  They cant be mad at that.

this, I'll tip 5 or enough to make it an even numer like 20.00....call me weird.

:rofl: I do the same **** bro

The total would be like $23.45... and i'll be like damn, I can't round to $25, that's to little... oh well, $30 it is!

You know why the service is better internationally? Because they pay the service staff an actual wage and because serving people is a respected position over there. Well, in France and Italy at least. The food, coincidently, is also more expensive, so you're paying for it regardless. And going out to eat in certain parts of Europe is an all day event. It's not uncommon to sit down at a cafe for hours on end. Service is also generally much slower paced there.
Again, obviously, you're not going out to anywhere nice if you're just "in and out". It doesn't work like that. And I wholeheartedly agree that the system is jacked. But if the employer has to pay us, labor cost is going up and they're going to get that money back by charging more for food...so you have to pay more anyway. Or they just steal from the servers....and that's not a joke, it's a very real concern that restaurant owners steal server's tips.
Really? So what, do "nice" restaurants like lock their consumers in or demand they stay a minimum amount of time? I can't just leave after I am done and pay? Tell me more, including why my party and I would not want to socialize with each other but rather hear the waitress tell us stories about how the fish was caught. That sounds terrible actually. Teppanyaki is cool, but other than that I don't think I want to be bothered outside of you waiting. "Sorry to interrupt you Miss, but my water is looking like the Saraha over here. Thanks, and no lemon please." Also, what qualifies as a nice restaurant. I want to impress you by paying exorbitant markups for the exact same food casual dining places serve (often from the same Food Supply Companies) and spending 2 hrs in there.

Second of all,

all of you who don't tip at a restaurant, or are not interested in stories on how the fish was caught, then you obviously don't belong at that restaurant.

"food is meant to be a conversation between the chef and the customer."

At a serious restaurant. its an insult to a chef, if you don't appreciate their food... that they've burned my hands over, stayed up late at night perfecting the recipe. then you simply have no business eating at said restaurant.

It's all about class at the end of the day, some of you were born poor and where never taught etiquette. I don't blama ya.. you never got to go out... why start now right?

Go to taco bell or mcdonalds and eat there, its that simple. Don't go to a restaurant where a chef has put a lot of work into his food.

Last edited:
:lol: No caviar, squid, anchovies, sushi, octopi, squid, or clams for me. Yes I am on welfare. You exposed me. I can't afford those things, it's not that I just don't like how they taste.

:lol: at all of these subjective, made up, social contracts people keep pulling out of their ***.

Y'all take a lot of shots for people who get Midol sensitive when someone uses the same "logic" to display how it can be turned back around at you. :lol: at me being born poor now.

Last edited:
:lol: No caviar, squid, anchovies, sushi, octopi, squid, or clams for me. Yes I am on welfare. You exposed me. I can't afford those things, it's not that I just don't like how they taste.
:lol: at all of these subjective, made up, social contracts people keep pulling out of their ***.
Y'all take a lot of shots for people who get Midol sensitive when someone uses the same "logic" to display how it can be turned back around at you. :lol: at me being born poor now.
To be honest it's just how it comes off. It Is an issue about class-Have some. do you feel it's illogical to tip? Your reasons don't come off as anything but vindictive, almost as if it's the one thing you can control in life. RELAX pal, you are agreeing to a service when you enter a dining establishment. Or do you feel entitled to the service with the "inflated" prices, which is ridiculous, because any CULTURED person would know that eating out is relatively cheap compared to other developed nations, and that is in part due to the tip aspect. You may not be broke, but ya coming off as tacky IMO.

And if you think you Are getting the same food at these places as Applebee's, than I think you telling tales, or eating at olive garden. My taste buds Neva lied to me, and a 40 dollar steak tastes like rashida jones.

Last edited:

I mean its clear why you don't tip. You need not say anymore. And your "logic" on they shouldn't take the job if they don't want the bum pay is flawed. Someone has to do it.

I always tip. Might be 5 cents or $20. Depends on experience.

:lol: @ putting all the :lol: 's

Tipping is really an american social phenomenon! Tips are not expected in many other westernized countries...for people who work off tips, do you tip the barber? the plumber? the cleaning lady? your garbage man? mail man?...the list of people who expect a tip is unending. 

Logic states that the price of a meal is that listed on a menu, gratuity should be given out of generosity not treated as some sort of contractual obligation. I tip but for the life of me I never ever feel good about it, and feel even worse that there are some people who feel a way about not getting a tip.

Last edited:
To not get off track, to the OP
It all comes down to you. if you realize that your friend only left 5%, then leave the additional tip that you think the server should have gotten.
though you did not pay, you were still a customer, and the final bill reflects the whole party.
personally, if someone is treating me out to lunch, i always insist on atleast leaving the tip.

When I was a teenager and my friends and I would go out to eat, they would only leave 5$, and I always used to stay behind and leave extra cash for the server.

Simply because i just know. its that simple. Some people know, others don't. And if you don't know than at least have the courtesy to not eat at a restaurant with servers.
Like i said, go to Mcdonalds, taco bell, burger king.. where the people giving you your food are making at least minimum wage.

I work for an Upscale Mexican restaurant in NYC.
You said you don't want to hear about how the fish was caught, thats cool.. but some do!!
Recently we got a review that said this

" if you want to explore an entire culture through smoky salsas, tortillas made by hand, and a mole whose origins are as old and mysterious as the Oaxacan hills, they’ve got that "

When people say, that a waiter exceeded.. they are not talking about doing backflips, they are talking about how they engaged in the time of your stay.
I can easily go to a table, and ask them if they are ready to order and leave it at that, or I can also go and help them by describing dishes or telling them about our specials. answering any question that they have, if they have a food allergy, I can arrange their whole meal. They are guests at our restaurant and I am there for them. Rachel Ray left me a 400$ tip once.

Of course this is because I work at an upscale restaurant, where we don't even care if we get bad one tip that night, because you are just one table, out of hundreds that we get. As a 20 year old kid, I would rather work as a waiter, making 1,200 a week, than at a retail store making 350 a week.

If you're a waiter and you're miserable at your job, thats your fault. go to an upscale restaurant, where people always tip 20%, and where you get to eat the food that people pay 50$ a plate for free
Just to give you an idea :smile:
check out how much gratuity i got from one bill

Last edited:
"The Tip Credit (70% today)
A TIP CREDIT is the total amount of tips an employer may count towards the total applicable minimum wage. The federal tip credit is $5.12. per hr. A employer is allowed to pay servers $2.13 because they are claiming servers will make at least $5.12 an hour in tips. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PAY YOU THE FULL MINIMUM WAGE . $2.13 + tips received(Tip credit) must= the full applicable minimum wage.
*Other states and cities have higher or lower tip credits. In Santa Fe, NM, for Example, where the full minimum wage is$10.25 employers take a higher tip credit. Tipped employees in Santa Fe still only earn a base wage of $2.13. but those servers are supposed to make enough in tips to meet the city minimum wage. If they don’t, under city ordinance, the employer is supposed to reimburse them. Some states such as Virginia and New Jersey, allow employers under certain circumstances to take a full 100% tip credit. This means servers in these states may receive no hourly cash wage at all. States that prohibit the tip credit include: Alaska, California, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. Servers who work in these states (equal states) receive the same minimum wage as all other workers"
Order your food to go or get that curb side service if you aren't fond of tipping....or you can even go to the super market, buy the ingredients yourself, cook your own meal and clean your own dishes.
Because handling 8 tables at a time and a part of 40 at an upscale dining facility is just that easy.....
My mother still works as a waitress for her second job these days in Northern VA....is she stupid, no, she has just always had a passion for the food industry and thoroughly enjoys serving other people, well most of them at least.
It is laughable the number of Wizards, ********, Nationals players and Politicians/Diplomats that come in there and leave pocket change on a table after racking up a $900 bill for dinner.
This is the thing that gets me? Should the tip be a reflection of the service or the price of the meal? That $900 bill might not be the same amount of work for the waitress/waiter as it is for some other waiter at a lower end restaurant?

Like you said, gratuity is priced in...that is fine, but becoming indignant at someone because they don't tip is very difficult for me to accept or comprehend?

To not get off track, to the OP
It all comes down to you. if you realize that your friend only left 5%, then leave the additional tip that you think the server should have gotten.
though you did not pay, you were still a customer, and the final bill reflects the whole party.
personally, if someone is treating me out to lunch, i always insist on atleast leaving the tip.
When I was a teenager and my friends and I would go out to eat, they would only leave 5$, and I always used to stay behind and leave extra cash for the server.
Simply because i just know. its that simple. Some people know, others don't. And if you don't know than at least have the courtesy to not eat at a restaurant with servers.
Like i said, go to Mcdonalds, taco bell, burger king.. where the people giving you your food are making at least minimum wage.
I work for an Upscale Mexican restaurant in NYC.
You said you don't want to hear about how the fish was caught, thats cool.. but some do!!
Recently we got a review that said this
" if you want to explore an entire culture through smoky salsas, tortillas made by hand, and a mole whose origins are as old and mysterious as the Oaxacan hills, they’ve got that "
When people say, that a waiter exceeded.. they are not talking about doing backflips, they are talking about how they engaged in the time of your stay.
I can easily go to a table, and ask them if they are ready to order and leave it at that, or I can also go and help them by describing dishes or telling them about our specials. answering any question that they have, if they have a food allergy, I can arrange their whole meal. They are guests at our restaurant and I am there for them. Rachel Ray left me a 400$ tip once.
Of course this is because I work at an upscale restaurant, where we don't even care if we get bad one tip that night, because you are just one table, out of hundreds that we get. As a 20 year old kid, I would rather work as a waiter, making 1,200 a week, than at a retail store making 350 a week.
If you're a waiter and you're miserable at your job, thats your fault. go to an upscale restaurant, where people always tip 20%, and where you get to eat the food that people pay 50$ a plate for free
Just to give you an idea
smile.gif

check out how much gratuity i got from one bill
I think what drives people crazy is the elitism that is associated with tipping. You namedrop rachel ray...for gods sake she's a millionaire. And half that B.S you spouted about the salsa and beans coming from some hills appeals to pretentious bozo's and you can have them. But don't act hollier than thou if someone doesn't give you a tip. 

Upscale mexican restaurants serving linguini these days...at any rate do you and congrats on the gig at the restaurant. I think it's just wrong to look down on people who don't buy into, or are oblivious to, these social contracts that thrust upon them in the name of 'class'.

Back
Top Bottom