Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

If you can't afford to tip at least 10% don't eat out its simple.

If you receive bad service I get it but just not tipping is shameful and you broke lames trying justify not doing it are ridiculous.

you cant be serious
laugh.gif

if you dont give me a refill, or my food comes back cold or my beer hot. im suppose to tip you, you out ya gatdamn mind boy.

Originally Posted by do work son

before yall start flaming OP, dude said he does tip, he just doesn't understand why people do. focus on explaining to him the ins and outs of your job instead of just condemning him
roll.gif

roll.gif
Little late for that....on the 16th page.

I work in the service industry......OP just doesnt get it.

i dont buy the "food would cost more" argument. at some point, server wages were lowered to account for tips. why then, has the price of the meal not dropped dramatically?

furthermore, anyone who believes that not tipping justifies spitting in someones food or vandalizing their property, needs some sense knocked into them.

that said, i tip according to the service i receive, usually 15-20%. i will leave a buck if the service was crap.

I didn't read through the whole thread but I can tell that the ignorance is rampant.

No, waiters do not just bring you your food, where the hell did you get that from?

I'm also aware of the fact that waitering, in many cases, might be the best job option for some people.  You could say that they could be working at some other menial job like flipping burgers, but waitering tends to pay more BECAUSE of their tips.  Why do you think waiters and waitresses try their best to be nice and be patient through customer BS?  The tip amount is an assessment of the comfort and convenience that the waiter provides. You're not paying them EXTRA to do their job, you're just paying them. 

Your delivery man analogy is flawed...I don't remember the last time my mailman gift wrapped my packages.

What really gets me is the condescending tone that you have toward waiters and waitresses.  People are out there trying to make a living by smiling at you while they're trying to pay off college loans or feeding their children, whatever the case may be and you sit at the table grumbling because you have to pay more than what was printed on your receipt (unless gratuity was included).  People have been tipping for years and if you want to "revolutionize" the waitress/customer  relationship, you're going to have to come up with something MUCH better than "I'm an Apple employee and I don't get tips."

Originally Posted by frink85

i dont buy the "food would cost more" argument. at some point, server wages were lowered to account for tips. why then, has the price of the meal not dropped dramatically?

furthermore, anyone who believes that not tipping justifies spitting in someones food or vandalizing their property, needs some sense knocked into them.

that said, i tip according to the service i receive, usually 15-20%. i will leave a buck if the service was crap.

cmon son. restaurants lowering their prices and minimizing their profits? what part of the game is that? the point is to get more money. if i tell you that you can pay your employees at a lower wage, are you gonna lower the price of your product, or keep them where they are and make more money because you pay your employees less?

do you buy the argument now?

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Would you rather get charged 20% more off top? That's all that would happen if nobody tipped.

I don't really care to be honest.  I have the money to buy what I want to eat.  If I didn't, then I wouldn't go to the restaurant.  Tipping people for doing their job... doing what they're supposed to do is stupid. 
naw. i see what you're saying, but you could have HORRIBLE service and wish you had a decent waiter to tip. it's their job, and they can do alright, but they can also do TERRIBLE and make you regret not being able to tip...

Originally Posted by Orfiyus

Ok. Bottom line I could care less if waiters live and die off their tips. I tip so they dont spit on my food if I ever come back.
I tip my barber and the pizza guy/any delievery person.

If you dont have money to tip then you dont have money to eat at the restaurant.

Anyone who even brings a thing like this up is low class beyond belief and shouldnt be argued with. Just let him play himself. Cheap people are annoying always whining about money every 3 seconds.

The only time I think its okay not to tip is when the waiter is rude to you.

I don't care if you're suppose to tip or not, but I've noticed my few extra bucks on tipping goes a long way for the restaurants I go to on the regular. I usually end up getting a free dessert, drink, or appetizer.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

"Im cheap" disguised thread. Your suppose to tip because those people are only making 2-3 dollars an hour Minus tips.

They should have thought about that before they agreed to take the job.  
Do you know how much more expensive restaurants would be here without employees splitting tips up? Its how the country works, otherwise stay in and cook or move to Europe. Take the tip system out and you'll see **%% service especially if the pay is mediocre, people are motivated by it and its human nature to do so.
You're underestimating the amount of customer service, tolerance, and hard work a lot of them go through.

the alternative to tipping is paying every waiter more in wages. in texas the minimum wage for servers is 2.13, but the regular minimum wage is 7.25. to make that up for employers, they hire less servers and increase the cost of everything on the menu.
That would never happen, restaurants would charge a TON MORE.

and yet food in california isnt anymore expensive and the waiters get minimum wage here. so explain

ihop waiters recieve checks that pay"0.00" thats it they cover taxes the rest of your income is based off tips stop being so cheap, that job sucks.
not to mention that waiters do remember people based off tips and will f with your food and make you wait as long as possible.

ya'll justifying tipping because their pay is #%!@. so why not tip other people with #%!@ jobs? waiters don't do jack #%!@, ya'll acting like they do something special everyday. gettouttahere with that bs

Postal workers are making more than the $4 per hour your waiter is. If you dont wanna tip when you eat out, stay home and cook your fat %+$ some dinner.

(P.S. I am not a waiter, nor will I ever be, but if they provide me with good service, I will leave you a good tip.)

Originally Posted by runzombierun

They should have thought about that before they agreed to take the job.  
Do you know how much more expensive restaurants would be here without employees splitting tips up? Its how the country works, otherwise stay in and cook or move to Europe. Take the tip system out and you'll see **%% service especially if the pay is mediocre, people are motivated by it and its human nature to do so.
You're underestimating the amount of customer service, tolerance, and hard work a lot of them go through.

the alternative to tipping is paying every waiter more in wages. in texas the minimum wage for servers is 2.13, but the regular minimum wage is 7.25. to make that up for employers, they hire less servers and increase the cost of everything on the menu.
That would never happen, restaurants would charge a TON MORE.

and yet food in california isnt anymore expensive and the waiters get minimum wage here. so explain
laugh.gif
who typically works for min wage? teenagers.  you want a teen trying to school you on some coq au vin? who is going to be a bartender? no one is gonna deal with that crap for min wage.  since a hs kid isn't even allowed to serve alcohol. 

no one you want serving you will work for straight min wage. 

you guys are really not seeing the big picture if you can't see how this will make prices rise.  why would anyone who isn't a 3 strike felon wait tables if they could go work at target or a gas station for alot less hassle?
laugh.gif
  for sure they will have employees... the cats wearing a helmet and drooling on themselves that used to work at taco bell.

isnt it also true that if the waiter makes less than minimum wage average for that week including tips then its up to the restraunt to pay the difference? so that they do make at least minimum wage. i undetstand that minimum wage aint much to live on but i didnt make the decision to make nothing out of my life. dont like it, learn a skill

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by frink85

cmon son. restaurants lowering their prices and minimizing their profits? what part of the game is that? the point is to get more money. if i tell you that you can pay your employees at a lower wage, are you gonna lower the price of your product, or keep them where they are and make more money because you pay your employees less?

do you buy the argument now?
oh trust i understand all that. that said, its ridiculous. and the end result is that the difference comes out of the consumer's pockets, and the consumer has to worry about getting his food spat at because an employee's boss doesnt pay him/her a minimum/living wage? now tell me what part of the game is that? these dudes need to unionize or something. and before anyone says it, there's a difference between being cheap and recognizing a flawed system. the consumer AND the employee is getting the shaft, while the restaurant hauls in. dont even get me started on that delivery charge for pizza places that ISNT a tip...

Its all about the service, PERIOD.

Good service= around 10% tip and between me and a date for dinner and a drink or two is about $50 so I'll leave a five-spot

GREAT Service= doesnt happen that often but I've laid a few $10 tips in my day

Bad service= self-explanatory

If you serve me the way I would serve you, you get tip. No real thought-process necessary. You were good, you get a tip. You weren't, you don't

My thing is, if Jordan doesn't tip, I don't tip. Besides, what you gonna do about it if I don't tip? Exactly.

Originally Posted by xAiRMaXiNx

My thing is, if Jordan doesn't tip, I don't tip. Besides, what you gonna do about it if I don't tip? Exactly.

nothing.... just dont tip and go upon your business ....

Originally Posted by mandown91

the defense rests.

the defense rests.
OK cheapo.
...and
laugh.gif
@ people comparing a teenage server as opposed to one at an upscale restaurants who are more knowledgeable about the specific dishes, the extensive wine lists and what compliments which foods, etc.....all while refilling and doing whatever it is you want and making you as satisfied as possible, regardless if you're an a-hole, with 7+ tables at a time.

I hope you guys don't eat at upscale places with that mentality.

If a restaurant has great food, I would like to go there without having to pay more for the food. Let's say a meal with all the amenities and drinks comes out to $10. I'm going to have pay the tax, which in Florida is 8%. We're at $10.80 Now I have to tip, and the minimum is 15%. That makes it $1.50. The additional cost of my meal for purposes other than the food itself are $2.30, which is 23% of the meal.

What's really happening here is the actual cost of a meal is lower on the menu, and then you have a "hidden" or "extra" cost once the bill comes.

I understand that they rely on tips, but I don't feel it's my responsibility to pay their bills. They should get another job, pick up a trade, or go to school. This is coming from someone who was raised by a single mother. She came to this country with $500 in her pocket and she has done well for herself by working as a waitress.

the defense rests.
OK cheapo.
...and
laugh.gif
@ people comparing a teenage server as opposed to one at an upscale restaurants who are more knowledgeable about the specific dishes, the extensive wine lists and what compliments which foods, etc.....all while refilling and doing whatever it is you want and making you as satisfied as possible, regardless if you're an a-hole, with 7+ tables at a time.

I hope you guys don't eat at upscale places with that mentality.
they don't, you can just tell by the way they were responding.  "all it takes is refiling water" and "learn a skill"
laugh.gif
clearly shows they are more on some bubba gumps or dennys level.

That tip is not for them solely...

depends on where but MOST placed server's tip goes to the busboy, bartender, cool and sometimes host.

Back
Top Bottom