Tipping when picking up food from a restaurant...yay or nay

This is a spin-off from DatZnasty's thread....

Do you tip? I never do when I go to actually pick up the food. If it's delivered or if I sit down, then I tip....

Sometimes. Maybe just like a buck in the tip jar. But I usually just do takeout at the same few restaurants.

I tipped once, they didnt charge me for it
laugh.gif

Same thing I wrote in the last thread:

Everyone sayin don't tip on carryout has obviously never worked in a restaurant.

They're doing the same job, and it's more inconvenient to them.

They pause what they're doing to take your carryout order, write the order and then box it, put all the silverware, napkins, etc. in and have it ready foryou. You should tip them the same or close to what you would tip them if they waited on you.

Never tip when Im picking up an order. They only take about 10 steps to get your food. THEY DIDNT SERVE YOU.. If you want to tip someone tip the cook. They didmore work then the person getting your food.

No.

When you tip at a sit in, you are giving the server extra for being a good host. The money you give never reaches the cooks who prepared thefood.

Picking up food has nothing to do with the server.

Originally Posted by djaward

Never tip when Im picking up an order. They only take about 10 steps to get your food. THEY DIDNT SERVE YOU.. If you want to tip someone tip the cook. They did more work then the person getting your food.
The person getting your food more than likely has customers sitting in their section that they would MUCH rather be taking care of (those peopleknow to tip). And the waiter/waitress that is taking care of your order is making $2.65 as opposed to the cook who is making at the very least triple that.

Imagine being at work or school and be working on something that is due soon. Then somebody calls up and says hey! forget what you're doing and work onthis. I'm not going to pay/give credit but I want it in 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

Everyone sayin don't tip on carryout has obviously never worked in a restaurant.

They pause what they're doing to take your carryout order, write the order and then box it, put all the silverware, napkins, etc. in and have it ready for you. You should tip them the same or close to what you would tip them if they waited on you.

I didn't know this. Will consider tipping atleast a buck or two next time I do carry out.

I'm a host for a restaurant and it's nice when people do tip.

Also, If your paying for your food with Credit/Debit..don't be lazy and just ignore the tip/total lines on the receipt that they gave you to sign with yoursignature. People can go behind your back and charge you for a tip you never gave if you just leave it blank.

I generally don't, especially if there's a separate area for the pick up.

Gratuity to me is providing the wait service, not food preparation.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

They pause what they're doing to take your carryout order, write the order and then box it, put all the silverware, napkins, etc. in and have it ready for you. You should tip them the same or close to what you would tip them if they waited on you.

I don't tip but that is because feel that when it is a carry out, it is the same as ordering from a fast food restaurant like McDonalds.
I never tip on those places.
Plus most restaurants, have separate workers that take care of to go items. Some times, it is even just the manager.
Some restaurants even pools all the tip they get and then divide it to each other.
In small restaurants, it is just the chef that packs it themselves and the waiter/waitress really have to do is hand it to the customer.
I just don't see it the same as waiting in a sit-in restaurant where the customer demand additional attention.
Just from my personal experiences.

You obviously worked as a waitor oris close to someone who is. if anything i should be tipping the cook not the people upfront They did nothing but bring my dinner with out dropping itHopfully. honestly this is why I order for pic up so i can avoid the $@$+$$ service that most waitors and waitressess provide and not be pressured into givingextra money to amy for making sure the two partys that came in after me got there Appitizers drinks and Dinner B4 me and my people. so no i dont tip whenpicking up food @%$% do you tip the cashier at Burger King i didnt think so

I got a regular weekend spot that usually delivers but if Im out and ridin around, I'll just call and make it a pick up. I definitely hit them with thegratuity because they have earned it thru my past experiences delivery and pick ups with them

but most other spots, Nah

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

here we go again....
95% of NTers don't believe in tipping
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I usually give em a buck, especially since most of the time I do pickup it's curbside so I don't even have to get out of my car
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i actually do tip when i pick up because i for one did work at a food spot and i did appreciate for people to tip me when i basically do the same thing forthere to-go food as if there sitting inside. i prepare there food, make sure they have all there utensils and pack it all up and take it to there car outside.

I think delivering it to the car is different than going in the restaurant yourself and picking it up.
I haven't had to pick up a food that was delivered to my car but I could imagine a $1 tip would suffice.

I don't understand why people don't tip. Boxing up the food and putting it in the bags takes more work than actually just serving a table.

Originally Posted by sdfbheat

You obviously worked as a waitor or is close to someone who is. if anything i should be tipping the cook not the people upfront They did nothing but bring my dinner with out dropping it Hopfully. honestly this is why I order for pic up so i can avoid the $@$+$$ service that most waitors and waitressess provide and not be pressured into giving extra money to amy for making sure the two partys that came in after me got there Appitizers drinks and Dinner B4 me and my people. so no i dont tip when picking up food @%$% do you tip the cashier at Burger King i didnt think so

and this is why "you and your people" don't get served promptly. People remember faces, and names on carry-outs. If you don'ttip you're not their top priority.

Even just the people who say they throw $1..that's much better than nothing. Just knowing someone was like "hey, I appreciate you putting your othercustomers on hold for a sec and getting my stuff together" makes it alright. It's the people that think that just because they didn't physicallysit down the wait staff didn't do the same exact thing.

Back
Top Bottom