Tips On Getting Around Picks?

Was in the gym yesterday and did alright for the most part but I kept having trouble with some picks on the perimeter. Anyone have any tips?

Run through them. If a guy sets a pick and you run through him he will think twice about setting another one on you.

But yeah, run through them. Try to get on top of the screen if you see it coming.

Or, in the beginning of the game, tell your team that y'all will switch on all screens.

Then it won't be an issue.

I dont even know, but I dont have a problem with them...I rarely switch when they come at me.

sidenote: One time in 5th grade league ball I set a pick soo hard this kid didnt see coming, he fell to the ground crying...my parents were soo proud!

http://www.youtube.com/v/RkK-DhdpLuo&hl=en&fs=1

run through it!

jk, i dont play defense so i cant help you
laugh.gif

Stick an elbow out as you try to run through them. Hit the dude in the chest as you run through it and he'll def think twice. But don't make itobvious. As your teammate tells you there's a screen to your left just keep your hand next to your body but bend it so part of your elbow is pointy andjust hit him. If you do it right, you might even make the person stay on the floor for a few minutes lol.

Yea generally run through them and make "accidental" contact a few times, but also stick your arm out as you see it coming and somewhat pry your waythrough. If that's too difficult, do like most NBA players and flop and the screener will get called for an offensive foul. Act like he stuck his knee outand got you in the quad

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Run through them. If a guy sets a pick and you run through him he will think twice about setting another one on you.
roll.gif

That's what I do...you may pick up a foul or too in a game situation but when you are playing pick up ball run through them.

He will think twice about setting picks on you...he may even get mad

But yea if you not a physical dude, just asked your team to call them out so you can maneuver around them and get to your man.

Dude asked how to get around picks and all the advice he got was "run through them" haha, your man will be long gone in that case so hopefully youhave teammates that will switch. I stick my arm and shoulder out around the pick first which allows me to push it to the side a little as I get around (bodyfollows the arm). Kind of like swimming through/around the pick.

Depends on the ballhandler and if he's got a mean jumpshot or a killer 2-step drive.

Mean jumpshot = run through pick/go over pick/force him to drive

No jumpshot but can drive = go under pick/force him to shoot

Mean jumpshot+can drive = run through pick/ have teammate trap him high to force a pass when he comes around pick and have someone rotate to the man settingthe pick.

All the dudes i play with regularly always call out screens and switch.

Just do what others have said in here.

Originally Posted by dreClark

But yeah, run through them. Try to get on top of the screen if you see it coming.

Or, in the beginning of the game, tell your team that y'all will switch on all screens.

No help D here
smh.gif
smh.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Don't get picked in the first place; it's avoidable if you're alert and have teammates who call them out.

/thread. It takes two people to know their jobs depending on what kind of screen it is.

23MichaelJordan45 wrote:
Originally Posted by dreClark

No help D here
smh.gif
smh.gif
ohwell.gif

Me and my�centre used to run those to perfection
laugh.gif
�Brings back memories.
��

run through the man, he will definitely think twice if you knock him hard

usually the people i play with during pickup cannot shoot a lick, so i just go under

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Depends on the ballhandler and if he's got a mean jumpshot or a killer 2-step drive.

Mean jumpshot+can drive = run through pick/ have teammate trap him high to force a pass when he comes around pick and have someone rotate to the man setting the pick.
best advice here

Originally Posted by DMan14

run through the man, he will definitely think twice if you knock him hard

usually the people i play with during pickup cannot shoot a lick, so i just go under

QFT knock that person on his +*# and act like you didn't see him. He won't want to set a pick again. If he does, it won't be as effective.

Originally Posted by avitale8

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Mean jumpshot+can drive = run through pick/ have teammate trap him high to force a pass when he comes around pick and have someone rotate to the man setting the pick.
best advice here

Ditto.
BUT in pickup games, don't even bother, just run the screener over. I don't even care.
We playing pickup ball, and you set a screen? You deserve to pick yourself up off the floor. You shoulda known better.
Not knocking anybody setting picks in pickup ball, just knocking them setting screens ON ME! LOL

man...if somebody throws an elbow at me while I screen or tries to run me over...that gives me all the more incentive to set a dirty screen the next time.i'm definitely not shying away just because i got hit illegally...i'm gonna do the same thing right back next time. so you might want to be careful ofthe aforementioned advice.

Back
Top Bottom