Tips to improve running endurance? Vol. Fat man lungs

I am in good shape but running is most definitely my weakness. If I even THINK about running a long distance I get winded. Are there any breathing techniques that will help me? I really want to be able to knock out 3 or 4 miles without feeling like I'm about to die. Thanks.

run more and more every day. add to what you do
when you feel like stopping because youre tired, keep going.
run in the heat if you can right now. that helps too.

idk if theres anything else to really improve endurance other than increasing your workout every day or pushing your limits, if so i want to know.

gotta get your heart pumpin

breathing techniques aint gonna do !@#$ bruh the best way is to consistently run
1 mile a day for a week next week go 1.5 and so on till you can knock out 3 or 4 miles

laugh.gif
 Breathing techniques

You might be thinking of abdominal breathing? We are supposed to breath in and out using our diaphragm rather than our chest muscles, which is inefficient in comparison. To do this, inhale from "your stomach" attempting to keep your chest relatively still. On the exhale, flex your abs. Flexing will strengthen your diaphragm over time, bringing in oxygen more efficiently and with less effort. But you should try and make a habit of breathing using your diaphragm if it isn't already. Practice abdominal breathing regularly and it will become second nature.

Originally Posted by megatron

run more and more every day. add to what you do
when you feel like stopping because youre tired, keep going.
run in the heat if you can right now. that helps too.

idk if theres anything else to really improve endurance other than increasing your workout every day or pushing your limits, if so i want to know.

gotta get your heart pumpin
this is pretty much the key. you'll never be able to do more unless you "do more" if that makes sense. a little bit everyday will get you little results. you're not really working until you feel like quitting but instead keep going. when I want to get my conditioning up I just go stupid on the exercise bike and I see a huge difference instantly.
edit- also check your diet. one too many beers and your conditioning can go to hell overnight and it will take some time to get it back to how it was. ask me how I know [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]{[/font]

Some of you scoff at breathing techniques, but for a beginning runner it can be real problem.

What I'd do is start at pace that's fast enough to get your hear rate elevated, but still slow enough for you to still carry on a conversation as if someone was running with you.

If you've got a phone you can watch movies on, try that while running. Helps to take your mind off of the physical discomfort you're in and your legs can just kind of go on autopilot

Try swimming!

After I took on swimming (and I'm turrrible at it), I found that I wouldn't breathe like I had robolungs when running.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

I am in good shape but running is most definitely my weakness. If I even THINK about running a long distance I get winded. Are there any breathing techniques that will help me? I really want to be able to knock out 3 or 4 miles without feeling like I'm about to die. Thanks.
WHY? 
laugh.gif
 That's hella long running. I do a mile n a half 4 days a week amongst other cardio but 3/4 miles? 
indifferent.gif

Run consistently at least 3 times a week, then run in the sand at the beach about a mile n you will be floating on a track in no time 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom