TMAC has scoliosis?

Health & Fitness
Sports Magazine
February 2008
Working Out With T-Mac
start pg 38

In the Gym with Tracy McGrady:

Tracy McGrady is on borrowed time. He has been for the past 11 years. "When I first entered the NBA and got tested by doctors and trainers," McGradysays, "they projected I'd play five or six years because of the way my body is structured."

The 28 year old McGrady, a seven time all star and two time league scoring champion in his forth season with the Houston Rockets was born with a mild case ofscoliosis (curvature of the spine.) His back was also injured following a hard foul he suffered in his fourth season while playing with Orlando. But thanks tohis God given talent, and a rigorous off-season and in-season training program crafted by Wayne Hall, his personal trainer for the last 10 years, McGrady hasovercome the gloomy predictions and occasional back flare ups to become one of the most recognizable players in the NBA.

The off-season training program begins about a month after the season ends, and includes weight training AND BASKETBALL DRILLS. "It's funny how peoplesaid I would have back problems and not last six years in the league," McGrady says, "but my body feel great in my 11th year."

Hall says the only concession made to McGrady's back situation is the elimination of any "compression" movements from the program. "Wedon't do any squats. We focus on the core and keeping the lower back and abs strong."

Hall tries to keep McGrady on a diet that includes a 60-40 split of protiens to carbs. McGrady is 6' 8", 223 pounds about 9% body fat.

The McGrady Off-Season Workout:

4 days on, one day off format

WEIGHT TRAINING SCHEDULE
Monday: Legs
Tuesday: Chest and Triceps
Wednsday: Back
Thursday: Shoulders and Biceps
Friday: Rest

BASKETBALL DRILLS
"Hard Drill Days," Consists of a variety of about 10 drills that conclude with 10 to 25 made shots. Examples:
"L" Drill: Start at half court, dribble in, take shot, dribble to back wall, dribble back to court, take shot. Performed in L-shaped pattern
"M" Drill: Similar to "L", but donein M-shaped pattern.
Other drills designed to similate in-game situations, such as pull-up jumpers, curls, fades and post up moves.

"BOOT CAMP DAY" Comprised of a series of plyometric drills to improve explosiveness.

"SPOT SHOOTING DAY" Consists of shooting up to 500 shots from stationary position.

dude is a superstar born with a defect
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

goddamn, now only if he was BORN healthy?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Tracy McGrady is on borrowed time.
Borrowed time, huh? With a mild case of scoliosis? When did this become life-threatening?

Props to him for being a great player but don't do this over the top dramatic garbage.

Originally Posted by 715 asterisk

Borrowed time, huh? With a mild case of scoliosis? When did this become life-threatening?

Props to him for being a great player but don't do this over the top dramatic garbage.

Not lfie-threatening but it aint good for his back, meaning he wouldnt last this long playing with it.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

now we all know the reason for his back injuries.

Yup.
Too bad, because any little thing could aggravate it, sitting for too long, standing for too long, and playing for so many minutes
grin.gif

Scoliosis isn't anything real.

Most chiropractors, which aren't real doctors anyway, will tell 90% of the people that they have "mild scoliosis" in order to make them comeinto their office and get treatments.

If you ever see one of those tables with a chiropractor offering "free spinal analysis" don't go near them. You'll have to make 15appointments to treat a problem you don't have

Originally Posted by NBAdotcom

Most chiropractors, which aren't real doctors anyway, will tell 90% of the people that they have "mild scoliosis" in order to make them come into their office and get treatments.

If you ever see one of those tables with a chiropractor offering "free spinal analysis" don't go near them. You'll have to make 15 appointments to treat a problem you don't have

Well, there is such thing, my friend has mild-scoliosis, even took x-rays, and showed the slight curvature of his spine. It's real.

But the thing about Chiropractors offering free consults, and all that junk to get you, is 100% true.

Most chiropractors, which aren't real doctors anyway, will tell 90% of the people that they have "mild scoliosis" in order to make them come into their office and get treatments.

If you ever see one of those tables with a chiropractor offering "free spinal analysis" don't go near them. You'll have to make 15 appointments to treat a problem you don't have

So what are you saying? Mcgreedy probably doesn't have scoliosis and he's just talking mumbo jumbo?

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Well, there is such thing, my friend has mild-scoliosis, even took x-rays, and showed the slight curvature of his spine. It's real.

But the thing about Chiropractors offering free consults, and all that junk to get you, is 100% true.

Sorry, I didn't mean that it doesn't exist...but most people that think they have it don't really have it. They just heard it from somechiropractor out to get their money.

A chiropractor is just a glorified massage therapist.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Sorry, I didn't mean that it doesn't exist...but most people that think they have it don't really have it. They just heard it from some chiropractor out to get their money.

A chiropractor is just a glorified massage therapist.

Very true.

Every Chiropractor over charges, and tries to have you commit to setup a therapy schedule right then and there.

I used to work for one, and just one session costs up to $70-100, depending on how long that patient has been seen.

But scoliosis is no joke. It looks very painful when observed through an x-ray.

Originally Posted by 715 asterisk

i think they meant career-threatening, not life. he goes on to say that he was projected to play 5 years.

but yeah scoliosis can get nasty. in my school district all 5th graders are checked for it and the pics they showed as examples were
sick.gif

I know they meant career-threatening. But I personally think that guys like Eddy Curry and Ronny Turiaf have overcome something more serious than "mildscoliosis."

Not taking anything away from McGrady though.

dont look too into magazine articles there just looking for something to write....alot of ppl have mild forms of it

Originally Posted by nyk buc

Health & Fitness
Sports Magazine
February 2008
Working Out With T-Mac
start pg 38

In the Gym with Tracy McGrady:

Tracy McGrady is on borrowed time. He has been for the past 11 years. "When I first entered the NBA and got tested by doctors and trainers," McGrady says, "they projected I'd play five or six years because of the way my body is structured."

The 28 year old McGrady, a seven time all star and two time league scoring champion in his forth season with the Houston Rockets was born with a mild case of scoliosis (curvature of the spine.) His back was also injured following a hard foul he suffered in his fourth season while playing with Orlando. But thanks to his God given talent, and a rigorous off-season and in-season training program crafted by Wayne Hall, his personal trainer for the last 10 years, McGrady has overcome the gloomy predictions and occasional back flare ups to become one of the most recognizable players in the NBA.

The off-season training program begins about a month after the season ends, and includes weight training AND BASKETBALL DRILLS. "It's funny how people said I would have back problems and not last six years in the league," McGrady says, "but my body feel great in my 11th year."

Hall says the only concession made to McGrady's back situation is the elimination of any "compression" movements from the program. "We don't do any squats. We focus on the core and keeping the lower back and abs strong."

Hall tries to keep McGrady on a diet that includes a 60-40 split of protiens to carbs. McGrady is 6' 8", 223 pounds about 9% body fat.

The McGrady Off-Season Workout:

4 days on, one day off format

WEIGHT TRAINING SCHEDULE
Monday: Legs
Tuesday: Chest and Triceps
Wednsday: Back
Thursday: Shoulders and Biceps
Friday: Rest

BASKETBALL DRILLS
"Hard Drill Days," Consists of a variety of about 10 drills that conclude with 10 to 25 made shots. Examples:
"L" Drill: Start at half court, dribble in, take shot, dribble to back wall, dribble back to court, take shot. Performed in L-shaped pattern
"M" Drill: Similar to "L", but donein M-shaped pattern.
Other drills designed to similate in-game situations, such as pull-up jumpers, curls, fades and post up moves.

"BOOT CAMP DAY" Comprised of a series of plyometric drills to improve explosiveness.

"SPOT SHOOTING DAY" Consists of shooting up to 500 shots from stationary position.

dude is a superstar born with a defect
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

goddamn, now only if he was BORN healthy?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

dude is 6'8 and has peak pysical attributes and your saying he wasnt born healty?!!!!

if he has back problems why is he saying he feels great?

t-mac and is cuz are complainers

if he was projected to only play 6 seasons in the league. what team in their right mind would draft him in the first round?! i dont believe it

Negative.

I for one deal with scoliosis, and my %+%* ain't too minor. When I was first told I had "minor" I was also told it would fix it self with mygrowth spurt so I was
smile.gif
. Fast forward to sixth months later, Christmasday, I bend over to pick something up while by the pool (no shirt) and my aunt notices I have scoliosis. It was now visible, and upon going to the doctor Ifound out I was literally one degree away from having to wear one of those weird *!@ back braces (
embarassed.gif
mad.gif
). I've been swimming amongst other things to help my own cause, but since I'm already past my real growth spurt it's unlikely I'llever have a perfectly straight back. I would've been 6'2-3 or so with a perfectly straight back, but chances are I don't get past 6'1 now ANDeven though I don't experience back pain, I feel tightness and it can get pretty uncomfortable.

Scoliosis is no joke, although those guys on the street might be...

What do you consider a "real" doctor? They're a doctor of their scope.

Anyway....Weight training and Tracy McGrady dont mix
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom