To all you "JDM" guys with tow hooks

Originally Posted by Munfy

Originally Posted by gil23

Originally Posted by Munfy

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

straight line performance is lame
indifferent.gif
YES ITS BORING......
Typical response from someone that only watches it happen. Sure it's boring to watch but 17 seconds is BORING so get yourself a 10, 9, 8 second street driven vehicle then try telling me it's boring. 

We were blessed with mountains and therefore mountainous roads for a reason. Also a reason why your car has a steering wheel. It was made able to turn more than a few degrees left and right. 

Even then, which actually matters more? Going in a straight line or actually being able to take a turn effectively?

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Track performance > straight line performance.

you really can't compare the two because cars are built different. Muscle cars in general were always about 1/4 mile, where the STI and EVO are rally built cars that were converted for the roads. Those two cars aren't meant to be "dragged", but can be. Even the GTR can't be dragged because of damage that potentially result( Launch Control was removed in later models). AWD systems are tricky to launch because they require high revs and the right technique of letting out the gas and clutch. You will almost certainly fry the clutch 3/4s of the time. If you want to drag a car, the RWD comes in handy because its putting less stres on the drivetrain components. If you want to track it, AWD is better because of the added grip and steering feel.  So, comparing straight line performance for cars that were never really meant for it kinda defeats the purpose. Some are built for one thing, some are built for another. I'm not saying one is better than the other, and I acknowledge their are FWD and RWD track cars, but as i said earlier, they are purpose built.

Even then, which actually matters more? Going in a straight line or actually being able to take a turn effectively?

depends what I'm "expecting" out of the car. I don't expect a 71 Charger to turn effectively, but do expect it to go straight. Everyone should already have reasonable expectations of what are car is able to do.

Originally Posted by CarolCitysFinest

Originally Posted by Lemonade41

Can we all just agree both have their weaknesses and advantages?

I will agree to the fact that v8's have weaknesses and advantages yes.I will also agree that imports/ricers/v6/i4's ect have weaknesses and advantages BUT the imports have more weaknesses then advantages compared to the v8's and domestics
laugh.gif

imports have more disadvantages for what? i think imports are better all around for fun, efficiency, and reliability. so what advantage does american cars have over that? it eats more gas? also, even if i want a v8, i rather get a euro v8.

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

I will agree to the fact that v8's have weaknesses and advantages yes.I will also agree that imports/ricers/v6/i4's ect have weaknesses and advantages BUT the imports have more weaknesses then advantages compared to the v8's and domestics
laugh.gif

imports have more disadvantages for what? i think imports are better all around for fun, efficiency, and reliability. so what advantage does american cars have over that? it eats more gas? also, even if i want a v8, i rather get a euro v8.
Clearly fun, efficiency, and reliability are a matter of preference. I can disagree with all three of them and go towards a domestic car point of view but it would be pointless.

Obviously you like to take turns, I however like to accelerate quickly. BUT I can hold my own in the twisties. Put the hotchkis sways back on, adjust the QA-1's and I'm ready to take a turn. 

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

laugh.gif

reliability are a matter of preference.
lion_facepalm.jpg

laugh.gif

Clearly fun, efficiency, and reliability are a matter of preference. I can disagree with all three of them and go towards a domestic car point of view but it would be pointless.

Lol what? There are people who prefer unreliable cars?

laugh.gif

lion_facepalm.jpg
Please, last time there was an import vs domestic reliability argument on here i shut some dudes up. But most of NT that will always hate on domestic are blind and even if theres evidence to show Japanese cars aren't as reliable as most think they'll still say Japanese>all.

laugh.gif

lion_facepalm.jpg
Please, last time there was an import vs domestic reliability argument on here i shut some dudes up. But most of NT that will always hate on domestic are blind and even if theres evidence to show Japanese cars aren't as reliable as most think they'll still say Japanese>all.
lion_facepalm.jpg

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

laugh.gif

It's being close minded and thinking everything but Japanese is crap reliability wise, which is the attitude the majority of NT has.

laugh.gif

higher displacement engines in general have an advantage in alot of ways.All these guys coming in and making statements on stuff they have no clue about makes you really sound stupid.No offense ninja but although i agree with the foundation of what your saying man atleast read up some before you go making yourself sound dumb.To explain the whole v8 vs v6 or whatever thing you take a  water balloon and another water balloon half the size you can put the same amount of water into both but the smaller one is gonna bust alot easier then the bigger one its kinda a bad example but some of you guys still might not get it.When you take the v6 or whatever car that was made to get 25+ mpg and came stock with 200 or less hp and you try to make it keep up with cars either high performance v8s or v6's or whatever you have to spend alot of money and even when you do get 350+hp out of it,its a ticking bomb and your asking to waste money that money on a rebuild.I mean yeah you can upgrade the fuel system,forged internals and heads for that boost you depend on,build the rear end,******,clutch,custom headers,and turbo piping an intercooler and spend 15k on a car that will get beat by a bolt on ls1 that cost under 10k total.what is the point of that?build imports that are manufactured to be a performance car thats cool but its not logical to build these POS cars that kids do.

laugh.gif

higher displacement engines in general have an advantage in alot of ways.All these guys coming in and making statements on stuff they have no clue about makes you really sound stupid.No offense ninja but although i agree with the foundation of what your saying man atleast read up some before you go making yourself sound dumb.To explain the whole v8 vs v6 or whatever thing you take a  water balloon and another water balloon half the size you can put the same amount of water into both but the smaller one is gonna bust alot easier then the bigger one its kinda a bad example but some of you guys still might not get it.When you take the v6 or whatever car that was made to get 25+ mpg and came stock with 200 or less hp and you try to make it keep up with cars either high performance v8s or v6's or whatever you have to spend alot of money and even when you do get 350+hp out of it,its a ticking bomb and your asking to waste money that money on a rebuild.I mean yeah you can upgrade the fuel system,forged internals and heads for that boost you depend on,build the rear end,******,clutch,custom headers,and turbo piping an intercooler and spend 15k on a car that will get beat by a bolt on ls1 that cost under 10k total.what is the point of that?build imports that are manufactured to be a performance car thats cool but its not logical to build these POS cars that kids do.
I pretty much said something similar with my post on page 9.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

laugh.gif

It's being close minded and thinking everything but Japanese is crap reliability wise, which is the attitude the majority of NT has.
they have that mentality cause all they know is what they're  JDM friends pushing a riced out prelude tell them and they dont know any better and dont have the common sense to actually think logically about what they are saying.Or they spend mommy and daddys money and could care less.I would put money on it that most of the guys on here defending JDM,import,v6,i6 cant even change the oil on their car.or have a stock honda that they think is fast cause it will spin in the rain.

I pretty much said something similar with my post on page 9.
okay my bad i skipped a few pages but i agree with you then
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Just to be clear, evo's aren't included in this right?There are more than enough 400whp,500whp (usable, not slap a gt42 and 100 oct) applications that some use as DD's, even morseo with the availibility of e85.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

laugh.gif

Just to be clear, evo's aren't included in this right?

in no way shape or form....evo's,sti's,awd eclipse kinda,vr4's,supras,rx7's,skylines,240's,300zx's,350's,370's,and im sure im forgetting some stuff but you get the idea....whoever said s2ks are fast or whatever a few pages back wow?go drive a stock ls1 6 speed and let me know if you still think so.Just because its prob one of the only moderately fast hondas does not mean it is fast.Prob handles good tho.

laugh.gif

Just to be clear, evo's aren't included in this right?There are more than enough 400whp,500whp (usable, not slap a gt42 and 100 oct) applications that some use as DD's, even morseo with the availibility of e85.
gonna go and edit it on me
laugh.gif
na man i like evos id push a stock one with no complaints one of the better all around cars still in production imo.

Originally Posted by funkdoctor73

you really can't compare the two because cars are built different. Muscle cars in general were always about 1/4 mile, where the STI and EVO are rally built cars that were converted for the roads. Those two cars aren't meant to be "dragged", but can be. Even the GTR can't be dragged because of damage that potentially result( Launch Control was removed in later models). AWD systems are tricky to launch because they require high revs and the right technique of letting out the gas and clutch. You will almost certainly fry the clutch 3/4s of the time. If you want to drag a car, the RWD comes in handy because its putting less stres on the drivetrain components. If you want to track it, AWD is better because of the added grip and steering feel.  So, comparing straight line performance for cars that were never really meant for it kinda defeats the purpose. Some are built for one thing, some are built for another. I'm not saying one is better than the other, and I acknowledge their are FWD and RWD track cars, but as i said earlier, they are purpose built.

I thought it was AWD>RWD>FWD. I know more power would be lost in an AWD drivetrain then in a RWD (FWD sucks) but AWD would be the easiest to launch since theres traction on all 4 wheels. I have to look into this.

Agreed 100% but I thing is that a lot of domestics fanboys cant admit that imports are doing just as good with the need of 2 extra cylinders. Plus it aint all about the size of the engine that makes a car great.

only 5 more year till I can bring over a R32

laugh.gif

gonna go and edit it on me
laugh.gif
na man i like evos id push a stock one with no complaints one of the better all around cars still in production imo.
all good, just making sure, you mentioned the VR4 but I just needed confirmation

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Originally Posted by funkdoctor73

I thought it was AWD>RWD>FWD. I know more power would be lost in an AWD drivetrain then in a RWD (FWD sucks) but AWD would be the easiest to launch since theres traction on all 4 wheels. I have to look into this.

Agreed 100% but I thing is that a lot of domestics fanboys cant admit that imports are doing just as good with the need of 2 extra cylinders. Plus it aint all about the size of the engine that makes a car great.

only 5 more year till I can bring over a R32
yeah you can get better traction if you know what you are doing but in no way is it easy.It took me awhile to learn the "sweet spot" of where the turbos spool best and how to "slip" the clutch to launch the vr4.Bone stock they are supposed to run mid to high 13's I was running 14.2
laugh.gif
then after about 3 months and some better tires I was running 13.2 bone stock.Its definitely easier to launch a rwd car on slicks or drag radials then an awd car.The drivetrain loss in awd cars is crazy tho.Most AWD cars will lose approx 25-35% of power from flywheel to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom