To hear more of NBA Player X's encounters with troublesome groupies, you must be an ESPN Insider.

It's a request thread... Gotta love the lead from espn though. Seriously though somebody needs to post this. Thanks NT

it was a pretty good read.

This story appears in the April 5 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

Not that long ago, The Mag's NFL Player X (whoever he is) estimated that 30 percent of married NFL players cheat on their wives. I was surprised to hear it was that low. In the NBA, I think it's closer to 60 percent. When you get a bunch of young, rich guys together, infidelity can be contagious. It's like high school -- the young guys watch the older players to see how things are done.

Respected vets like Kevin Ollie or Derek Fisher set good examples, though, for guys across the NBA. There are a lot of players who stick in this league for way longer than they should because they're family men who keep rookies in check. They'll call you out on your dumb mistakes. I know the vets I played with early on helped keep me straight. They'd warn me off the groupies who'd been going after NBA players for years.

I've had girls approach me at the hardware store and act like they didn't know who I was. I've been followed at the mall. There are groupies who hang around my neighborhood trying to bump into me on the street. They don't care if I'm married or not.

The whole thing seems innocent but most often it's not. We're talking about strangers here, who are following us. Fall in love with the wrong one, and you can end up trapped, with a child you never expected or a wife you weren't ready for. People ask me all the time how many of the women I meet are looking for a ring. I have to assume it's all of them, because I've never met a groupie who was in it just to have fun. Those girls take the long view, and it's not always about love.

Look at what happened with Dirk last year. He fell for a groupie, gave the girl an engagement ring, only to find out she was a criminal. The situation blew up right during the playoffs, so his teammates ended up answering questions about the woman when they were trying to focus on the Nuggets. It's not good when those problems trickle into the locker room.

Trades have been arranged because one woman is involved with two guys on the same team. That's what happened in Dallas some years ago. And right now I know of one girlwho is dating two NBA players. One makes her car payments, and the other pays her rent. They don't know about each other, but they do share a money manager who's writing both checks. It's bound to blow up at some point.

Truth is, NBA players are easy targets. We're not like most guys, who can meet a nice girl at work or at a barbecue. We are recognized and treated differently pretty much everywhere we go. Most of us have grown up in an environment where we've been given whatever we wanted, so a woman approaching us suggestively seems normal. Sadly, all you usually have to do to get an NBA guy for a night is smile and make it clear you're willing to go home with him. Especially if he's single.

As for the married guys, it's not that hard for a groupie to get with one of them, either. They're like regular dudes in corporate America who travel a lot, except they have more money and more opportunities to cheat. They don't get caught because they keep it on the road, calling their wives all the time to check in. (It doesn't always go smoothly. I've overheard plenty of dudes fight with their wives over the phone about their activities.) It gets to the point where you see teammates doing it so much that young guys assume having a woman on the road and a wife at home is just part of the NBA lifestyle.

In fact, I would guess that 50 percent of NBA wives actually started out as groupies. And a lot of those women are realistic about the scene their spouses are in. They take a "don't ask, don't tell" approach. They will say something like, "Don't embarrass me by getting caught." It's not that they like the situation, but they understand the circumstances. After all, it wasn't that long ago that they were in those same clubs looking to get with a professional athlete, no matter how many tries it took.

Honestly, with all the pitfalls and temptation, sometimes I wonder why young players even get married. They should follow Derek Jeter's example. No one criticizes his lifestyle because he doesn't have a wife at home wondering what he's up to. He's just a young, rich pro who enjoys being the king of New York. He'll settle down when the time is right. NBA guys should take note.

edit: Player X is referring to Toni Braxton-Jason Kidd-Jim Jackson love triangle, for the few that don't know. "Un-break my heart...."

damn i wonder who the 2 players hes talking about now are. i hope it blows up soon

Originally Posted by frink85

Honestly, with all the pitfalls and temptation, sometimes I wonder why young players even get married. They should follow Derek Jeter's example. No one criticizes his lifestyle because he doesn't have a wife at home wondering what he's up to. He's just a young, rich pro who enjoys being the king of New York. He'll settle down when the time is right. NBA guys should take note.
I swear I must have said this at least 5 times on NT but WORD @ following Jeter's example.

That's what I would've done if I was in their position...slay as much ({}) as you want until you ready to settle down.

i know a girl who's husband was a journey man NBA player...she has stories for days, she said players w/ guaranteed contracts used to holla at her and tell her what he husband was doing on the road.

she said one player told her that he makes more in 3 games than her husband makes in a season and she needs to get w/ him because her man wont be in the league longer..

Originally Posted by iLL I AM

I swear I must have said this at least 5 times on NT but WORD @ following Jeter's example.

Yeah, but these young dummies would end up with 18 kids by 17 chicks (they always double up on one)...
Eh, I guess that's basically what a lot of them do now anyway. SMH

All these athletes got it nice, road trips left and right to the arms of another dime or two willing to do whatever. I think Lebron, even though single, has the same arrangement with his girl. She gotta know what happens, but just as long as he doesn't make her look bad will continue to keep quiet. Too many guys get married to hs/college sweethearts (Wade) just to get endorsements.

Live like Jeter and then settle down in your own time.

I should have spent more time practicing instead of dreaming.

i swear I look at some of these NBA wives and they have the groupie look to em. Word to love and Basketball

Any of yall listen to John Sally's podcasts or random interviews (like the one he did on Foxxhole Radio)? Dude got hundreds of stories just airing out former players who got caught up in the game like this....

laugh.gif
From barkleys book he said guys would try and not to smile to their wife before they went on road trips.
Most of these women know what comes with the territory and most are cool with it because they dont work and get that allowance.
An old associate's sister was a certified groupie, she would tell us stories about shaq, sheed and even samaki walker's sorry %!+.

You can def notice the nba groupies/wives. They have that aura

Originally Posted by iLL I AM

Honestly,
with all the pitfalls and temptation, sometimes I wonder why young
players even get married. They should follow Derek Jeter's example. No
one criticizes his lifestyle because he doesn't have a wife at home
wondering what he's up to. He's just a young, rich pro who enjoys being
the king of New York. He'll settle down when the time is right. NBA guys
should take note.

That's what I would've done if I was in their position...slay as much ({}) as you want until you ready to settle down.

Essentially. They could save themselves so much grief if they just followed that.

Not really since ###%@# don't believe in condoms. They'll just end up with tons of baby mommas. Teams should just hire a "team groupie" who has her tubes tied and dudes can schedule time with her. Cop one cheap off latineuro.com, maybe even a couple to suit various interests (a white, a black one, a Latin one, etc.) Just like players on the team, they gotta be replaced and renew their contract or get waived every couple seasons though

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Not really since ###%@# don't believe in condoms. They'll just end up with tons of baby mommas. Teams should just hire a "team groupie" who has her tubes tied and dudes can schedule time with her. Cop one cheap off latineuro.com, maybe even a couple to suit various interests (a white, a black one, a Latin one, etc.) Just like players on the team, they gotta be replaced and renew their contract or get waived every couple seasons though

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

it was a pretty good read.

edit: Player X is referring to Toni Braxton-Jason Kidd-Jim Jackson love triangle, for the few that don't know. "Un-break my heart...."

I always wondered why they was trying so hard to break up the 3 J's back in the 90's...they was just starting to scare some teams in the west

smh.gif
dumb idiots ... fighting over groupies ... fallin in love w/ groupies ... requesting trades b/c of groupies ... paying these %*@* rent ...

Good read. Story is on point.

Living in La though, you hear and see stories like this ALL THE TIME.

Back
Top Bottom