To those who have transferred to different universities, what did you do?

I ask this question because my brother graduated from high school yesterday but I'm not too keen on the school that he is going to. A lot of it has to dowith him applying to schools too late. He had the grades to get into decent schools but didn't apply himself when it came time to fill these forms. Iadvised him to go to one of the CUNYs to save our parents some money as well as going to a system with some recognition but he chose not to.

To those that have successfully transferred to other universities, what classes did you take, what was your GPA like after your first year (this is when hewants to transfer out) and what would you advise that he do? I'm going to help him look at some schools during the summer because I want him to get thatreal college experience and have no regrets when it comes to college.

Dude couldn't even get it together to fill out some apps, and you think he's going to try hard in college as well as fill out more apps?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Dude couldn't even get it together to fill out some apps, and you think he's going to try hard in college as well as fill out more apps?
roll.gif
Comments like this aren't necessary. He missed filling out on the big schools.

maybe he doesn't want to do all that...just let him do his first year and let him decide if he wants to transfer...he might end up liking where he'sheaded...

If he wants the college experience stay away from St. John's. Have him just take his cores his freshman year.

transferring is easy...lost a few credits, but nothing major...and if he's taking general education requirements, they'll probably transfer most of thecredits.

if he's worried about potentially not getting in to a school, I'd advise to transfer mid-year (after Fall semester, get to the new school by Spring). Igot in to two schools I had no business getting in to when I applied for spring transfer. My friend did part time work at admissions and said they have anunofficial quota they aim to fill mid-year

I understand you trying to save your parents money but you cant make him do what you want to do. Let him make his own choices and mistakes. If your parentsfind it too hard to pay for his tuition they will let him know, or tell him to get a job.

Originally Posted by chisoxdavid

I understand you trying to save your parents money but you cant make him do what you want to do. Let him make his own choices and mistakes. If your parents find it too hard to pay for his tuition they will let him know, or tell him to get a job.
This isn't really the issue. The problem is that if someone does transfer it makes more sense to do it from a cheaper school than a schoolthat costs a lot more.

Thanks for the input so far. He does want to transfer out. He's made that clear. He doesn't know if he wants to wait until the end of his soph. year orafter his first year.

Is is better to transfer in the spring or the fall?

If the objective is to transfer, then I assume the sooner the better.

However, isn't transferring from a community college a lot easier than transferring from a four-year university to another one?

The process was a little different for me because I play sports but I'd advise him to go see his counselor ASAP and tell him or her what his plan is sothey can instruct him on what to do. It's pretty easy after your first year though as long as your GPA is good because you usually only take generalcourses. A good GPA is a MUST though.

Back
Top Bottom