To ZIPLOC or not to ZIPLOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KA0TIK1

have never wrapped my shoes in saran wrap or put them in ziplock bags.. have over 200 pairs that are still looking great and even my DS pairs have stayed fresh..  i think all these ideas are just pipe dreams and really don't have any truth or factual evidence behind them..  like others have said.. rock your kicks, clean them up and toss them back in the box.. no need to get too fancy and make something a bigger issue than it needs to be.. 

This post got away from its original question. The guy wanted to know if the shoes would stay icy. Next thing people are posting pictures of crumbling shoes. I personally like to wrap mine in saran wrap to stay icy but it doesn't protect against the inevitable cracking if the shoes sit for years on end.

honestly i think all this extra stuff is OD just store the shoes back in the box how they came

i think the yellowing occurs from either using the cleaners or storing em OD

i got pairs from 10 years ago that are still icy

just clean em after every wear with a wet rag
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ACGrizzy

Here are my DS '00 Infareds. I use saran wrap on the whole shoe. I've seen icier but I think mine still look pretty good. I still feel comfortable that they could be worn as well. I keep my house a steady temp all year round so that may help as well.

j6in.jpg
Those look nice, but I can guarantee those soles would fall apart when worn. I pretty much took care of my DS 00 infrareds too and then worn them on my birthday this past September. Was fine until I got home, then I had the soles on each shoe come off and start cracking. Soles started to crumble a bit like those Oliver IX's posted a few pages back, but not as serious.
frown.gif

That alone convinced me, all this collecting is BS! Not worth it anymore. It's gonna get retroed over and over again. Yeah, I can always sole swap them, but it's too much work. I'm pro undeadstocking these days or simply get rid of them and have another collector worry about them falling apart.
laugh.gif

I know it's been said plenty of times, but I don't think it can be stressed enough, especially to new collectors:
Shoes need to breathe.  Plain as that.

Any kicks that I stock for years and years if I haven't worn them (which usually happens because I just plain forget about them because I really aim to wear all my kicks at least a few times a year) I will take them out of their boxes and let them just sit out for a few days and breathe, maybe wear them around the house walking in them, etc...

If you don't use it, you lose it...

I don't think too moist causes yellowing. I live in vegas and it's always dry as hell here with little to no humidity and my space jams still yellowed. I never wore them and had them on a shoe rack.

I use to Ziploc mine and have silica packs.  After reading a bunch of posts on it, I decided not to. Plus I noticed some of the older ones were drying out even more.  So I took them out of the ziplocs and removed the silica from the boxes.  Now I just have a few silica in small bowl that I keep in the closet with the shoes. 

Originally Posted by ACGrizzy

Here are my DS '00 Infareds. I use saran wrap on the whole shoe. I've seen icier but I think mine still look pretty good. I still feel comfortable that they could be worn as well. I keep my house a steady temp all year round so that may help as well.

Good thinkin tex

I ziplock mine with about and inch open as well and have found no ill effects. But I've only been storing mine for just over a year like this. How long have you done this process?

I ziplock mine with about and inch open as well and have found no ill effects. But I've only been storing mine for just over a year like this. How long have you done this process?
at least you are replying to more recent threads now

DO NOT ZIP-LOCK! ..... REMOVE PAPER FROM BOX & and STORE IN 58-75 TEMP area
Like a Closet that rarely sees light.

I've used saran wrap and silica packs and that's always worked for me. That used to be what most people would use back when I first joined in 2004.

Obviously if you plan to leave them saran wrapped for years like some people do the shoes are going to crumble. Those IX's were probably shrink wrapped like that for over 10 years, in which case they're like 20 years old now. Even if they weren't shrink wrapped chances are they wouldn't be wearable.

I don't use saran wrap anymore, I just let them sit in the box with two silica packets and that seems to work just fine.

If you plan on keeping your shoes DS for like 10 years you're better off wearing them because chances are they will crumble. All of this Ziplock/Saran wrap and all that should just be temporary for a few years at most. Eventually you have to wear your shoes or else they'll just fall apart.

I agree. Bottom line, wear your shoes. It's not hard, the best way to slow the yellowing is to keep the shoes in a dark cool place. I have '00 Concords and they look great. They're shoes, not trohpies people.

I agree. Bottom line, wear your shoes. It's not hard, the best way to slow the yellowing is to keep the shoes in a dark cool place. I have '00 Concords and they look great. They're shoes, not trohpies people.
You're right. Trophies would be either in the attic or basement in an old dusty cardboard boxes.

My DMPs are in Ziplocs and both VI and XIs are still icy. No Yellowing at all. They're also in a Dark Room. CDP shoes were already yellowing when they came out. Damn JB didn't put any love to CDP shoes.

Last edited:
Might as well not keep em in ziplocks. I won't sacrifice the integrity of the shoes just because of yellowing.

I use ziplocs...I even suck the air out of them. HOWEVER...

1)I wear my kicks. Every pair comes out atleast once a month to be worn. Some pairs get worn a handful of times a month. They get walked around in...keeps em pliable.

2)In addition to that, they all get taken out of the bags to sit out and breathe for a couple days, once a month.

3)I wear my shoes often enough that they'll get retired before they would ever break down from the ziplocs. I figure about 5 years max on most all of my retros before they get tossed. By then, they will have been re retroed. In the meant time, all of my icy soles have stayed icy as hell.

I have Lakers VI's that are a coming up on 3 years old that are still VERY icy, even after many many wears. The tabs on my III's aren't yellowing. None of the midsoles are yellowing on any of my kicks. None of the leathers or plastics seem to be breaking down. If anything, they seem fresher than if I wasn't ziplocking. None of my midsoles are cracking, no paint chips or wrinkles in the midsole or anything. I mean seriously, my shoes look and feel DS. I only think ziplocking is bad if you never let them out of the bag and wear them, or never air them out to breathe. The problem is that some people just ziploc them up for months and months and sometimes years without ever wearing them or even letting them breathe. You gotta wear em to get some motion in the materials, it's almost like they develop atrophy if you don't.

Last edited:

1)I wear my kicks. Every pair comes out atleast once a month to be worn. Some pairs get worn a handful of times a month. They get walked around in...keeps em pliable.
2)In addition to that, they all get taken out of the bags to sit out and breathe for a couple days, once a month.
3)I wear my shoes often enough that they'll get retired before they would ever break down from the ziplocs. I figure about 5 years max on most all of my retros before they get tossed. By then, they will have been re retroed. In the meant time, all of my icy soles have stayed icy as hell.

I have Lakers VI's that are a coming up on 3 years old that are still VERY icy, even after many many wears. The tabs on my III's aren't yellowing. None of the midsoles are yellowing on any of my kicks. None of the leathers or plastics seem to be breaking down. If anything, they seem fresher than if I wasn't ziplocking. None of my midsoles are cracking, no paint chips or wrinkles in the midsole or anything. I mean seriously, my shoes look and feel DS. I only think ziplocking is bad if you never let them out of the bag and wear them, or never air them out to breathe. The problem is that some people just ziploc them up for months and months and sometimes years without ever wearing them or even letting them breathe. You gotta wear em to get some motion in the materials, it's almost like they develop atrophy if you don't.
yup same method with me, too bad lot people here stocking DS their kicks without wanting to wear them at all just to make sure they will resell it again in next years for hundred bucks of money :smh: the best method to store your shoes are ziplock it and wear it once in a while and always clean them after u wore it

I don't use Ziploc for my pairs nor do I put those silica packets inside the box. I just wear them, let them breathe, put them back in the box and then store them inside my closet. I don't mind the yellowing of the outsoles as I actually like it that way so that they'll have that OG look on them. I have a BN/DS pair of DMP 11s and the soles are still icy. And, I guess that's because of the way I stored it inside my closet.

Do you include silica packs inside the ziploc with the shoes?

I also rock all my pairs 'coz I don't wanna stock 'em. I'm planning to ziploc my shoes for the purpose of keeping them away from dust, 'coz I sort of display my kicks (the setup is, over the cabinet, each pair of kicks are on top of their boxes) rather than keeping them inside the box. Since I rock all my pairs say once or even twice a week, is it okay to ziploc them? Do I need to include silica packs? 

Thanks bro.

Last edited:
All i do is keep them in their boxes. I'll take them out periodically to let them breathe if i haven't worn them in a while. Clean them after a few wears. I don't really care about yellowing cause its going to happen either way. 

I have some pairs with silica packets....some not. 

People always think all of my shoes are brand new because i take care of them. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom