To ZIPLOC or not to ZIPLOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is covered in the care/maintenance but it seems like there are two different sides to the stories.  My goal is to try and keep my soles as icey as possible and it seems like ZIPLOCS will help prevent the yellowing.  For anyone that has tried both what do you think? 

Right now I have DampRid in the closet to help with the moisture but I dont want to put them in bags as i hear that will dry them out.

Thoughts?

If youre gonna zip lock I suggest at the very least you punch holes in the zip lock bags so that your shoes' leather can breathe

I dont put my kicks in bags, did it once and noticed my soles were turning a lil yellow..........took em out and took the paper out and left small silica packs.......dont over do the silica, youre probably better off with the damp rid.

It doesnt hurt to live in a dry climate, I do and I know thats gotta be one of the reasons my kicks stay ICY

Good luck!!! Either way theyre gonna yellow but Im like you and would want to delay for as long as possible

Siran wrap just the icey sole, not the midsole or anything else. Use a blowdryer to make sure it's on there good.

"so that your shoes' leather can breathe"

Shoes don't have lungs.

From my experience simply placing the shoes into a zip loc bag doesn't seem to do a whole lot to prevent yellowing. Perhaps slow it at best. Shoes that I've wrapped in saran wrap on the other hand have really stayed clear for a much longer period of time.

My shoes are icy as hell and I don't do none of this ridiculous crap. Just keep them in the box and toss them in my closet. I just make sure to clean them after every couple wears. 

Originally Posted by ACGrizzy

Shoes don't have lungs.

From my experience simply placing the shoes into a zip loc bag doesn't seem to do a whole lot to prevent yellowing. Perhaps slow it at best. Shoes that I've wrapped in saran wrap on the other hand have really stayed clear for a much longer period of time.
Plants don't have lungs either and they breathe. However, they have stomata. I know you're trying to be "smart", but the guy was just implying that the leather is porous and does, in fact, need to "breathe". Same reason why people use specific oils to keep the leather from rotting out... 

Shoes don't have lungs.

And then this happens..... 
air-jordan-9-olive-crumbled2.jpg

air-jordan-9-olive-crumbled.jpg

You need dry air and circulation.

Wrap the sole in saran wrap an replace the wrap every 2 weeks to a month.

make sure to let the shoe get exposure to elements and as stated before clean them.

So what I do is.

1. ask myself is this shoe worth saving
2. find storage with dry air and air that is not stagnant.
3. clean the shoe and let it dry
4. wrap the sole if I want to keep it icey
5. store in box and closet usually
6. take out every 2weeks to a month
7. clean the shoe and let dry
8. replace new saran wrap on just the soles
9. put back into storage

If you want your shoe to last the longest wear around the house, nothing serious, for an hour or two ever month.
If you want completely DS then just make sure the shoe is clean.

Originally Posted by tdrizzle

You need dry air and circulation.

Wrap the sole in saran wrap an replace the wrap every 2 weeks to a month.

make sure to let the shoe get exposure to elements and as stated before clean them.

So what I do is.

1. ask myself is this shoe worth saving
2. find storage with dry air and air that is not stagnant.
3. clean the shoe and let it dry
4. wrap the sole if I want to keep it icey
5. store in box and closet usually
6. take out every 2weeks to a month
7. clean the shoe and let dry
8. replace new saran wrap on just the soles
9. put back into storage

If you want your shoe to last the longest wear around the house, nothing serious, for an hour or two ever month.
If you want completely DS then just make sure the shoe is clean.

Sounds like a Sneaker Nursing home lol

I know you are just trying to sound "edumacated" but you missed the point that my post was in jest merely reflecting that shoes are nonliving objects lol.  I'm well aware of how plants absorb oxygen. Thanks for the biology 101 refresher!
The second part of your post contradicts itself. One of the reasons people use protective products on leather is to keep oxygen away from the shoe.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Shoes don't have lungs.

And then this happens..... 
air-jordan-9-olive-crumbled2.jpg

air-jordan-9-olive-crumbled.jpg

That's not saran wrap. That person used shrink wrap. Give me a minute. I will pull out my DS Infared VI's and unwrap them & post some pictures.

I know you are just trying to sound "edumacated" but you missed the point that my post was in jest merely reflecting that shoes are nonliving objects lol.  I'm well aware of how plants absorb oxygen. Thanks for the biology 101 refresher!
The second part of your post contradicts itself. One of the reasons people use protective products on leather is to keep oxygen away from the shoe.
You are welcome...
In regards to my statement on oils, you are joking, yes? Many oils are used for conditioning and preserving fibers and not for the deprivation of oxygen. I think you may want to actually take Biology 101 and get back to me...

Shoes don't have lungs.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  fool!
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by DRO3000

Shoes don't have lungs.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  fool!
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
Yeah you think I'm a fool yet you think shoes are breathing LMAO. Besides learn how to take a joke

Never understood where/why this practice originally started, but it is hands down the dumbest thing people do to sneakers. And also, how does putting shoes in a zip loc bag equate to slowing down the yellowing???

Here are my DS '00 Infareds. I use saran wrap on the whole shoe. I've seen icier but I think mine still look pretty good. I still feel comfortable that they could be worn as well. I keep my house a steady temp all year round so that may help as well.

j6in.jpg

Just wear your shoes lol. The glue wont hold forever so wear them while you got them and be fortunate that you have them. That is what I do.

Those Infrared's are icey as hell.

Either way, it's a danger zone to put the shoes through that. The only technique I've ever used was, dark room, no direct sunlight, and nice temperature around the house.

Zip lock is OK!!! What I do is place the shoes in the ziplock. Seal the bag all the way and leave about an inch open. I use that opening to suck the air out of the bag. Once all the air is out, I then fully seal the bag, put shoes back in the box and store. Dont worry about sufficating the shoes, as the ziplock is not "air vacume sealed". A small good amount of air does manage to slowly get back into the bag (Which is what you want) allowing for the shoes to "breath" all while protecting it from the elements. This has worked wonders for me as it slows down oxidation and keeps my shoes fresh. Especially my Vs, VIs, and XIs and all-white shoes. So yea Im pro ZipLock. Now Suran wrap is another story. I wouldnt do that for nothing
laugh.gif

^ yeah i did that too. i put my shoes in ziplocs, but i didnt seal them all the way.
i left around 3-5cm open so that air can still go in. also put some small packs of silica in the box(not inside the bags) to keep them dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom