Top 7 Most Dangerous Airports in the World

7. Lukla Airport (Nepal)

A huge mountain on oneend, a thousand meter drop on the other. And it’s at 2900 meterselevation, so you don’t exactly have full power.

Lukla Airportis a small airport in the Town of Lukla in eastern Nepal. In January2008, the government of Nepal announced that the airport would berenamed in honor of Sir Edmund Hillary, the first person to reach thesummit of Mount Everest, who passed away on January 11, 2008. Theairport is quite popular as Lukla is the place where most people starttheir trek to climb Mount Everest.

most-dangerous-airport-in-the-world-Lukla-Airport-Nepal.jpg
Lukla Airport (Nepal)​

6. Madeira Airport (Madeira)

MadeiraAirport also known as Funchal Airport and Santa Catarina Airport, is aninternational airport located near Funchal, Madeira. The airportcontrols national and international air traffic of the island ofMadeira.

The airport was once infamous for its short runwaywhich, surrounded by high mountains and the ocean, made it a trickylanding for even the most experienced of pilots. The original runwaywas only 1,400 metres in length, but was extended by 400 metres afterthe TAP Air Portugal Flight 425 incident of 1977 and subsequentlyrebuilt in 2003, almost doubling the size of the runway, building itout over the ocean. Instead of using landfill, the extension was builton a series of 180 columns, each being about 70m tall.

For theenlargement of the new runway the Funchal Airport has won theOutstanding Structures Award, given by International Association forBridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE). The Outstanding StructuresAward is considered to be the “Oscar

the st. martin airport scared the hell out of me........only one on the list I have had the displeasure of flying into......

my least favorite US airport has to be Laguardia, water all over the place, short run way, slamming on the reverse=WACK

That's pretty cool. I would've expected  Courchevel to be more dangerous than St. Martin.
pimp.gif

The only bad thing about Laguardia is the queue
laugh.gif
mad.gif

Haven't had experience with any of these airports, but I would sure love to someday.

I thought Somalia would have been number 1 because they will probably shoot you down rather than landing.

why dont you talk about that airport in denver?? what the strange activity that goes on in there...

Originally Posted by richyung412

why dont you talk about that airport in denver?? what the strange activity that goes on in there...

!like what?

Originally Posted by richyung412

eek.gif
 Just saw the youtube, I'm going to denver next week.
nerd.gif

My uncle lives on one of the islands near that Barra "airfield". They land on the beach too. It's not unusual to have a couple of go-arounds - especially as visibility is poor - as it usually is up there.

Back
Top Bottom