Tour Winner Contador tests positive for PED's

[h1]
Cycling's governing body says a "very small concentration" of a banned substance was found in the urine of Tour de France winner Alberto Contador, but that he has been suspended.

[+] Enlarge
Bryn Lennon/Getty ImagesAlberto Contador won his third Tour de France title in July.

The UCI says a lab in Germany found clenbuterol in Contador's urine sample on July 21 at the Tour de France. But the amount was only 50 picograms, which the UCI says "is 400 time(s) less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency's must be able to detect."

It says that both Contador's A and B samples tested positive and that Contador has been "formally and provisionally suspended."

It says that the case is still being investigated and that this may take some time.

The UCI released its statement in the early hours of Thursday.

Jacinto Vidarte, Contador's publicist, said Contador has blamed food contamination as the only possible explanation for the test.

"The experts consulted so far have agreed also that this is a food contamination case, especially considering the number of tests passed by Alberto Contador during the Tour de France," Vidarte said in the release, "making it possible to define precisely both the time the emergence of the substance as the tiny amount detected, ruling out any other source or intentionality."

Contador will hold a news conference on Thursday in Pinto, Spain.

Contador was first made aware of the positive test on Aug. 24, according to statement, and has provided his explanation to the proper authorities.

Clenbuterol is a synthetic bronchodilator often prescribed to asthma sufferers. The drug is on the WADA's banned substances list and its use would mean a two-year ban from the sport.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always hated the guy.  Extremely arrogant and no sense of teamwork.  Cycling has to get their *#+@ together or lose even more respect.  Absolute dirtiest sport around
[/h1]

[h1]
Cycling's governing body says a "very small concentration" of a banned substance was found in the urine of Tour de France winner Alberto Contador, but that he has been suspended.

[+] Enlarge
Bryn Lennon/Getty ImagesAlberto Contador won his third Tour de France title in July.

The UCI says a lab in Germany found clenbuterol in Contador's urine sample on July 21 at the Tour de France. But the amount was only 50 picograms, which the UCI says "is 400 time(s) less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency's must be able to detect."

It says that both Contador's A and B samples tested positive and that Contador has been "formally and provisionally suspended."

It says that the case is still being investigated and that this may take some time.

The UCI released its statement in the early hours of Thursday.

Jacinto Vidarte, Contador's publicist, said Contador has blamed food contamination as the only possible explanation for the test.

"The experts consulted so far have agreed also that this is a food contamination case, especially considering the number of tests passed by Alberto Contador during the Tour de France," Vidarte said in the release, "making it possible to define precisely both the time the emergence of the substance as the tiny amount detected, ruling out any other source or intentionality."

Contador will hold a news conference on Thursday in Pinto, Spain.

Contador was first made aware of the positive test on Aug. 24, according to statement, and has provided his explanation to the proper authorities.

Clenbuterol is a synthetic bronchodilator often prescribed to asthma sufferers. The drug is on the WADA's banned substances list and its use would mean a two-year ban from the sport.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always hated the guy.  Extremely arrogant and no sense of teamwork.  Cycling has to get their *#+@ together or lose even more respect.  Absolute dirtiest sport around
[/h1]

The tour de france is a sham these days.
laugh.gif

He tested positive during a rest-day and they found mirco traces in his blood 400x smaller that the World Anti Doping Agency says should warrant a positive test. At a quantity so small it would have not improved his performance. But Contadors excuse is that he eat some bad meat 
laugh.gif
which is straight comedy but apparently his has proof the meat was bad and looks like most people around the sport believe him.

And most people don't like dude because he is not the humble type and he did not roll over for Lance Armstrong when he came out of retirement, he instead whooped @@% all over the road and let ever one know about it. Alberto is a boss and I hope he is cleared

He tested positive during a rest-day and they found mirco traces in his blood 400x smaller that the World Anti Doping Agency says should warrant a positive test. At a quantity so small it would have not improved his performance. But Contadors excuse is that he eat some bad meat 
laugh.gif
which is straight comedy but apparently his has proof the meat was bad and looks like most people around the sport believe him.

And most people don't like dude because he is not the humble type and he did not roll over for Lance Armstrong when he came out of retirement, he instead whooped @@% all over the road and let ever one know about it. Alberto is a boss and I hope he is cleared

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

laugh.gif

I find it funny that Contador tests positive and people try to find excuses for him, and wait two months to release the results.  Yet people continue their witchhunt of Lance Armstrong being on PED's, yet he's never ever tested positive in all of his years from cycling.  People just have it out for Lance Armstrong, but since Alberto Contador beat the "hated" Lance Armstrong, people are trying to find excuses for the "loved" Contador's positive test. 

laugh.gif

I find it funny that Contador tests positive and people try to find excuses for him, and wait two months to release the results.  Yet people continue their witchhunt of Lance Armstrong being on PED's, yet he's never ever tested positive in all of his years from cycling.  People just have it out for Lance Armstrong, but since Alberto Contador beat the "hated" Lance Armstrong, people are trying to find excuses for the "loved" Contador's positive test. 

He could be telling the truth, you never know. They need to clarify who these "experts" are that agree it was likely food contamination. Sounds like the amount of the substance was smaller than an official positive result.

He could be telling the truth, you never know. They need to clarify who these "experts" are that agree it was likely food contamination. Sounds like the amount of the substance was smaller than an official positive result.

Originally Posted by wxyzfactor

laugh.gif

Two different situations. And the fact Lance tells people "if you say I doped I will ruin your entire life" doesn't really help his case. People try to say Contador is arrogant, but Lance is on a level most men never reach.

laugh.gif

Two different situations. And the fact Lance tells people "if you say I doped I will ruin your entire life" doesn't really help his case. People try to say Contador is arrogant, but Lance is on a level most men never reach.

laugh.gif

No bull ... i dont like Lance as much as the next dude, but the fact that he NEVER tested positive for PEDs counts for something in my book ... especially when all these other cyclists stay testing positive ...

it's like this, either Lance has the secret formula for passing drug tests or dude never doped ... either way, props to him ...

laugh.gif

No bull ... i dont like Lance as much as the next dude, but the fact that he NEVER tested positive for PEDs counts for something in my book ... especially when all these other cyclists stay testing positive ...

it's like this, either Lance has the secret formula for passing drug tests or dude never doped ... either way, props to him ...

True.  I am a Lance Armstrong fan but his prickly personality did not make him many friends, although that is what made him a great cycler like Bernard Hinault.

moneyisthemotive wrote:
...but the fact that he NEVER tested positive for PEDs counts for something in my book ... especially when all these other cyclists stay testing positive ...

This.

True.  I am a Lance Armstrong fan but his prickly personality did not make him many friends, although that is what made him a great cycler like Bernard Hinault.

moneyisthemotive wrote:
...but the fact that he NEVER tested positive for PEDs counts for something in my book ... especially when all these other cyclists stay testing positive ...

This.

moneyisthemotive wrote:

I have a theory on this.  A few years ago when Lance 'retired' they started doing biological signature tests.  From my understanding on how it works is they make a baseline of your blood work and record the ranges your body should be at.  If you deviate from those levels it supposedly an indication that you're doping through blood transfusions or some other technique.  Lance only came back to the Tour when he was convinced he could still get away with doping with the new tests.  This is basically what Floyd Landis is accusing Lance of.  According to Floyd riders were getting to the point they could take their own blood samples, test them, analyze their levels, and adjust them so they would fall into their biological signature levels.  Again, according to Floyd, Tour riders would be rolling around with medical centrifuges in their hotel rooms doing their own blood work in prep for PED tests.  The doping agencies have started to suspect this because some of the riders blood work doesn't deviate at all when it is actually natural to fluctuate to a certain extent.  My $.02

moneyisthemotive wrote:

I have a theory on this.  A few years ago when Lance 'retired' they started doing biological signature tests.  From my understanding on how it works is they make a baseline of your blood work and record the ranges your body should be at.  If you deviate from those levels it supposedly an indication that you're doping through blood transfusions or some other technique.  Lance only came back to the Tour when he was convinced he could still get away with doping with the new tests.  This is basically what Floyd Landis is accusing Lance of.  According to Floyd riders were getting to the point they could take their own blood samples, test them, analyze their levels, and adjust them so they would fall into their biological signature levels.  Again, according to Floyd, Tour riders would be rolling around with medical centrifuges in their hotel rooms doing their own blood work in prep for PED tests.  The doping agencies have started to suspect this because some of the riders blood work doesn't deviate at all when it is actually natural to fluctuate to a certain extent.  My $.02

Back
Top Bottom