Toyota is royally @%!!!*, your thoughts?

Originally Posted by i3allistic

I''m not sure but are Toyota/Lexus that were made in the USA begin recall only? Because the FJ Cruiser was not on the list (japan made) and a few of my friends Rav4 that were made in japan was not recalled .... 
To my knowledge, none of the Lexus models are being recalled, just Toyota.
Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Right now I'm watching the LIVE Congressional committee speaking with the CEO on CSPAN. They are going in on Mr. Toyoda and Mr. Inaba. You can click here to watch it. Also news broke today that Toyota had a recall on the floor mats in the UK 10 years ago but did nothing or said anything in regards to the America market. Do you think differently of Toyota or even the Lexus brand? I've never been much of a Toyota fan (besides the Supra) but this is making other brands like [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Hyundai, Ford, Chevy look like god sent. [/color]
Not really. Bad PR? Yes, but not enough to drop Toyota down to those ranks just yet.
Sales have fallen, pretty bad, Jan10 they sold 83,279 compare to Dec09 they sold 159,295 and the recall was officially announced Jan 21st, 2010. Of course I don't think Toyota is gonna go Daewoo status either but they are slippin in the ranks, at least sales/volume wise.
you cant compare Toyota to Daewoo... 
Toyota's public image is too positive for this recall to completely ruin them.. word to Kobe's rape trial. 
Naw fam, not comparing to Daewoo I was talking about moving down ranks, but like Dirty and others have said, people will forgive and forget.

Toyota's quality has diminished in the past five years a pretty fast rate. My colleague has a meeting coming up with them next week, it'll be interesting to hear what they say..

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Toyota's quality has diminished in the past five years a pretty fast rate. My colleague has a meeting coming up with them next week, it'll be interesting to hear what they say..
Coincidence that this started when they outsourced their vehicles to be made in other countries? hmm...

What's interesting is that I haven't seen this problem widespread in Japan.

- I HATE Toyota; this includes but is not limited to Mr. Toyoda and his band of cronies / lying douche bags. 
grin.gif

- I smiled when I first heard the news. 
smh.gif

-
3e2156486ddd8104935d8bd69176ddd17059cc7.gif
Toyota. 

mad.gif

Originally Posted by Methedy24

- I HATE Toyota; this includes but is not limited to Mr. Toyoda and his band of cronies / lying douche bags. 
grin.gif

- I smiled when I first heard the news. 
smh.gif

-
3e2156486ddd8104935d8bd69176ddd17059cc7.gif
Toyota. 

mad.gif
you mad?

- It's funny you said that.

- At the end of my response I initially had "U MAD? Naw, I'm gooood!!   But  I deleted it
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DublBagn

I am not going to say this is going to kill toyota, but anything thats helps with the American perception myths is a good thing in my book....
indifferent.gif

LOL @ this "chairman" lady and her story about how she didn't want to buy a Toyota Camry Hybrid because she wanted to buy American, but they (Big 3 - Ford Fusion Hybrid!?) didn't offer one. Then saying she bought it without research and bought based on public perception. The heck is she doing there as "chairman" of this hearing. She is an example of what is wrong with Americans...

reigndrop wrote:

Coincidence that this started when they outsourced their vehicles to be made in other countries? hmm...

What's interesting is that I haven't seen this problem widespread in Japan.

I''m not sure but are Toyota/Lexus that were made in the USA begin recall only?
Keep in mind that this is a design flaw...unless those cars were designed and built in the USA by americans I don't see how manufacturing these vehicles in different countries has anything to do with the recall.

Originally Posted by Inno21

Okay guys I just want to throw out a random thought that arose during a discussion with a couple of my buddies....
Do you guys think that this could be a government conspiracy? Hear me out first. 

Plenty of cars are recalled every year for various reasons, everything from doors not closing properly to major issues such as this gas pedal/floor mat issues. But my major issue is that the U.S government acted with quickness with setting up these congressional hearings as a result Toyota has also taken a pretty big hit on their stock price . Since the U.S gov't does have controlling interest in General Motors, you think this could be a ploy to direct more sales towards GM away from Toyota? 

I know it sounds pretty far fetched but its just a thought
I'm with you 100%, but I wouldn't even call it a conspiracy because it's apparent the government and the American people in general have it out for this company. A lot of people have a stake in the demise of Toyota.  They are attacking Toyota's primary attributes, namely it's reputation based on quality, reliability, and devotion to customer service.  It's ridiculous imo, one of the few times I've felt sorry for a corporation.

They'll manage fine. They will lose out for a bit probably, but will come back up. I remember when Audi was doing bad because stupid people couldn't comprehend which was the gas and which was the brake just because they weren't gapped really far from each other. Then 60 minutes took it a step further and rigged a car from Audi to look bad with a control from the passenger's side. They will eventually come back up from this.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Gotta agree with Dirty here. Couple of years and they will bounce back. I hope this isnt the beginning of the end cause all I got are Toyotas.

Growing up my family either had Honda/Acura's or Ford's. I think I was the first one to make the switch to Toyota ('02 4Runner) and personally I've been pretty satisfied with their cars. I was satisfied enough that me and my girl decided to stick with the brand and get her a new Lexus when it was time to get a new car. Now that I think about it though, her car '07 ES350 has had more problems in the last 3+ years than mine has had in almost 3 times that length of time.

knock on wood, but I have close to 120K miles on my truck and its a tank. Still running on my factory stock battery, no engine or mechanical problems to date, pretty much the only problems I had were cosmetic and due to user error. Hope this thing keeps tickin for atleast another 100K miles.

I've  heard 4runners run forever..but tend to have transmission problems..this true?

- At the end of my response I initially had "U MAD? Naw, I'm gooood!!   But  I deleted it
smh.gif

why you hate 'em so much?

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

smh.gif

why you hate 'em so much?
Mr.toyota touched his mom
pimp.gif

Please lord just make them discontinue those prius things.  Those things are so pathetic.

-I would say that a lot of Americans are pushing this as an agenda against a Japanese company being #1.
-I forgot that this was a design flaw. People in Japan HAVE died because of this.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

The American public has a short memory... couple of years and they'll be good to go.
One of the few times I've ever agreed with dirty.

I think that this could be a good thing for Toyota. Before this scandal happened I heard that Toyota's quality control had gone down. Now they'll have no choice but to ensure their quality is A+ if they want to remain as one of the top selling auto manufacturers in the world (rather than just relying on reputation like they had been for the last few years).

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

The American public has a short memory... couple of years and they'll be good to go.
While I agree with you, it also depends on how the media wants to work this... and it seems like they really want to go in on Toyota. Not to sound too much like a conspiracy theorist, but doesn't the US government have stake in GM and Chrysler? I foresee tons of "Toyota quality dropping/GMxChrysler quality rising" stories. Realistically though, the quality of Toyota compared to the US companies will probably meet in the middle.

quick question: why are Americans so stupid? i acknowledge that the public at large is dumb, and i'm actually okay w/that. but why? HOW STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO GET IN AN ACCIDENT IF YOUR ACCELERATOR IS STUCK? somebody give me a rough estimate. are we talking average intelligence or flat out mentally challenged? every day millions of people get in their cars and they have no idea how their car works and are completely clueless about the world around them. one way we alleviate this problem is by having police officers on the road to regulate driving behavior. which is why it is so intriguing that this highway patrol officer was not smart enough to put his car in neutral. my car is a few years beyond the warranty and the accelerator gets stuck almost every month. and despite what the mechanics want to say, its definitely electrical b/c i can put my foot under the pedal and lift it all the way up and the engine is still accelerating. that being said, i've never even been close to being in an accident. to me, this recall says more about the American public than it does about Toyota. everybody is up in arms about it and if i chose to watch the news i'd have to hear about this almost every day. and then people like OP would recommend selling shares of TM and somebody is inevitably going to tell me to buy American, despite the fact that ford exploders probably killed 100 people from one defect. (i love how everyone talks about the firestone recall and ignores the fact that its never been definitively proven that ford was not at least partly to blame) i'm sorry for all of the families involved and i wish them all the best, but i don't think that someone who panics and allows their car to speed out of control should be regulating driving behavior.
Dirtylicious wrote:

if that. toyota will be back on their feet in no time.
CarolCitysFinest wrote:
only toyota i would ever own is a mkiv supra.imo the rest of toyota/lexus is not appealing.They should make toyota refund 100% of the cost of the cars that had problems.

you should've stopped posting 140-some-odd posts ago.

who is "they?" i love when people throw out these types of statements just to prove to the world that they don't think before they speak. you do realize that Toyota instituted the recall, right? and you do realize that recalls are not managed by any government agency, right? and you also realize that its almost impossible to force a company to issue an apology, let alone a refund, right? and you do realize that there have been almost no cars "that had problems," right? there have been less than 100 accidents globally and most of those people are going to sue Toyota so you can rest easy tonight knowing that they will probably get a full refund on their Yaris.

DublBagn wrote:
anything thats helps with the American perception myths is a good thing in my book....

you mind explaining to the rest of us what "the American perception myths" are? i hate to speak for you but i assume you're trying (poorly) to say that you hope this improves the relative impression of products manufactured in America/by Americans. would it change your mind if you knew that Toyotas are being manufactured in America, by Americans? how does this help America's image at all? b/c we built crappy products and they just happen to be less crappy than one line of products designed in Japan? and how are your priorities so out of whack that you actually think this is a good thing? PLEASE explain that. you are actively cheering for Americans to build products that kill other Americans - in the name of improving the world's perception about America. oh, now that i typed it out, it makes so much sense.
indifferent.gif

Inno21 wrote:
Okay guys I just want to throw out a random thought that arose during a discussion with a couple of my buddies....

Do you guys think that this could be a government conspiracy? Hear me out first. 

Plenty of cars are recalled every year for various reasons, everything from doors not closing properly to major issues such as this gas pedal/floor mat issues. But my major issue is that the U.S government acted with quickness with setting up these congressional hearings as a result Toyota has also taken a pretty big hit on their stock price . Since the U.S gov't does have controlling interest in General Motors, you think this could be a ploy to direct more sales towards GM away from Toyota? 

I know it sounds pretty far fetched but its just a thought

you should have kept it as just a thought. what's the conspiracy? the US government went into every Toyota plant and purposely built-in defects in the cars? okay, cause the risk-reward there is phenominal. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY INSINUATING? you think someone would actually risk their career and, probably their life, to help the government make some money? are you out of your mind? do you know how many people it would take to pull that off? you actually think Toyota would let random people go into their manufacturing plants? or has this plan been in the works for years and these hard core patriots took jobs at Toyota just waiting for the right time to kill other Americans? get real. and the biggest point you're missing is the fact that NOBODY is going to see the money that the government makes from GM stock. you swear like Obama personally owns GM or something. get out of here w/this nonsense.

IHeartBoost wrote:
i3allistic wrote:
I''m not sure but are Toyota/Lexus that were made in the USA begin recall only? Because the FJ Cruiser was not on the list (japan made) and a few of my friends Rav4 that were made in japan was not recalled .... 

To my knowledge, none of the Lexus models are being recalled, just Toyota. 
proper english wrote:
IHeartBoost wrote:
K2theAblaM wrote:
IHeartBoost wrote:
Right now I'm watching the LIVE Congressional committee speaking with the CEO on CSPAN. They are going in on Mr. Toyoda and Mr. Inaba. You can click here to 
watch it. Also news broke today that Toyota had a recall on the floor mats in the UK 10 years ago but did nothing or said anything in regards to the America market. Do you think differently of Toyota or even the Lexus brand? I've never been much of a Toyota fan (besides the Supra) but this is making other brands like Hyundai, Ford, Chevy look like god sent. 

Not really. Bad PR? Yes, but not enough to drop Toyota down to those ranks just yet. 

Sales have fallen, pretty bad, Jan10 they sold 83,279 compare to Dec09 they sold 159,295 and the recall was officially announced Jan 21st, 2010. Of course I don't think Toyota is gonna go Daewoo status either but they are slippin in the ranks, at least sales/volume wise. 

you cant compare Toyota to Daewoo... 
Toyota's public image is too positive for this recall to completely ruin them.. word to Kobe's rape trial. 

Naw fam, not comparing to Daewoo I was talking about moving down ranks, but like Dirty and others have said, people will forgive and forget. 

well, your knowledge is useless. the accident that is getting the most headlines INVOLVED A LEXUS - how would they not recall any Lexus models? the IS and ES350 were both recalled in October for "vehicle speed control."

Toyota is having a tough time right now, fair enough. but sales have fallen month-over-month for every major manufacturer besides GM, so your sales figures are of little value in the vaccuum you presented them in.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

so whats really going on?
laugh.gif
....they've had a ton of recalled cars or something?

Over 8 million.  And rumor is the problems aren't being fixed correctly by just fixing the acceleration pedal.  People are saying it has to do with their electrical system which they refuse to acknowledge. 

But I mean I'm not surprised.  In 01 they announced that they wanted to double their manufacturing by 2010.  Well they did it.  But something done on a scale that large is bound to have efficiency and quality problems.  And only thing that has kept Americans buying Japanese is their so-called "quality cars."  Which is a pretty comical statement right now.  Especially since the problems stem from models back in 07.  Meaning they've ignored the problem for 4 years now.
It's definitely ECU related. All the cars recalled have a drive-by wire system, pedal input is then translated through the ECU to the throttle body. If there's nothing going on with the pedal, then it's not the pedal's fault that the car will keep accelerating...this is definitely going to set them back, hopefully make them re-think their whole approach and maybe come at things the same way they did in the 90's. They've been taking too many shortcuts.

Back
Top Bottom