Trading in a car dilemma..

What’s up everyone, hope all is well.

As some people may remember from a previous post, my 2018 Impala Premier is still at the shop for over a month due to the AC evaporator and AC compressor going out at just 31k miles(car is under the extended bumper to bumper warranty for the next 4 years). After sitting here thinking, I may just trade the car in because I Really question the reliability and quality of the long term. As of right now, I owe $28k and I looked at the value of my car and it says it’s worth $25k. If I was to get a new car or SUV, that would only be a $3k negative equity rolled over. I’m strongly looking to get a Avalon limited hybrid(gets 43 mpg) or a 4Runner. I have even entertained the idea of leasing the new Jeep Cherokee L.

Here is my question, do you think it’s worth to get ride of the car with a fairly low negative equity to the next car , or just keep the car until the bumper to bumper warranty is expired? I hear so many people trade in their cars when they’re not finished paying it off, so I’m just curious on how people do this type of thing. I thought for the longest it’s best to pay it off then trade it in, but different circumstances can play until getting rid of it sooner. Bottom line, o just want to hear people’s opinions on this.

If you trade it in with money still owe - the negative equity will just be added to your next payment.

Most people just go into a new car so that the rebates can eat up the negative equity.

But if your car been sitting in the shop for a month while it’s still a bumper to bumper warranty - you need to reach out to Chevy and see what they can do - they may let you just trade it in for another car with no issues. But you’re going to have to complain and follow up with the dealership owner and the Chevy corporation.

I would say keep the car until the warranty is up. I don’t know how much you believe in Consumer Reports, but their reliability rating for your car is the same as the Avalon and slightly better than a Cherokee. I say that to point out you may roll that negative equity into a car that has issues too. Outside of the A/C thing have there been other serious problems?

Bro my AC went out on my Civic Hatchback Sport 2019 also, only had 34k miles. Service coudnt get me in til the 20th and I said hell nah. It was a lease with 9 months left, and I was already 4.3k miles over the allotted mileage. I went into Honda cause I know they itching for used cars and they contacted me a bit before to see what I could do about the mileage I was over. I know its a lease so its different, but I ended up getting a new lease on a new car. They took care of 7 months of the lease and I didnt have to pay for the mileage I was over. I think I could negotiated better but I got the number I wanted monthly, and just had $1500 down. Didnt really wanna pay that much for a down but thats the best deal I got after shuffling through dealerships.

Id say go into a few dealerships and see what kinda deals you can get and start with Chevy, they may give you the best deal considering your dilemma.

Bro my AC went out on my Civic Hatchback Sport 2019 also, only had 34k miles. Service coudnt get me in til the 20th and I said hell nah. It was a lease with 9 months left, and I was already 4.3k miles over the allotted mileage. I went into Honda cause I know they itching for used cars and they contacted me a bit before to see what I could do about the mileage I was over. I know its a lease so its different, but I ended up getting a new lease on a new car. They took care of 7 months of the lease and I didnt have to pay for the mileage I was over. I think I could negotiated better but I got the number I wanted monthly, and just had $1500 down. Didnt really wanna pay that much for a down but thats the best deal I got after shuffling through dealerships.

Id say go into a few dealerships and see what kinda deals you can get and start with Chevy, they may give you the best deal considering your dilemma.
I didn’t know about dealers running low on used cars. Very interesting, maybe they could give me more then what my car is worth. I have been getting letters from dealerships asking for my car too.. hmmm

Holy shi if they have to touch the seats and entire dash to access the ac stuff that's hella trash engineering or they did it on purpose to charge you hella money for replacement/repair. Luckily you're still under warranty. I think it is worth it to lose 3k now than later when you have this problem again and out of warranty.
My 2006 Honda at 140k miles haven't had any ac issues *knock on wood*.

I didn’t know about dealers running low on used cars. Very interesting, maybe they could give me more then what my car is worth. I have been getting letters from dealerships asking for my car too.. hmmm

What, you been under a rock? If you wanna sell, now is the time. But also if you wanna buy (used) now is not the time.

I would say keep the car until the warranty is up. I don’t know how much you believe in Consumer Reports, but their reliability rating for your car is the same as the Avalon and slightly better than a Cherokee. I say that to point out you may roll that negative equity into a car that has issues too. Outside of the A/C thing have there been other serious problems?
Well, I haven’t had any major issues. But, I have read that this is a common issue with GM cars and saw that even if it gets replaced, the same parts can go bad in less then a year as far as the AC evaporator. My biggest concern is will it be more issues in the coming years. Yes, it’s under warranty, but it’s not a guarantee if I will get a loaner car while it’s being repaired, which is already being an inconvenience

I would get rid of that thing asap. Used car market is brazy right now. I can sell my truck for more than I bought it for back in November right now. Even if you end up with negative equity I’d still take it to get the hell away from that nightmare while you can.

28K for an Impala is wild to me

Car should be 20K. Sedans don't sell because everyone wants a crossover. If I were you, sell it to carmax or carvana. It's a sellers market.

Protip: Buy Japanese unless you have a backup car

28K for an Impala is wild to me

Car should be 20K. Sedans don't sell because everyone wants a crossover. If I were you, sell it to carmax or carvana. It's a sellers market.

Protip: Buy Japanese unless you have a backup car
I purchased the car new in 2018.

No disrespect bro, but the max you should pay for an Impala or any non luxury American sedan is 25K.

Never pay retail for an American car if it's not an enthusiast car. They usually give rebates to move them off the lot
Here’s the thing, I got $7k off the MSRP…lol

Trade it in and roll over the negative equity in a lease...drive the lease "accidentally" into a river a few weeks later to get it totaled out. Leases come with GAP insurance...Lease another car without any negative equity added in :pimp: :lol:

If you have a warranty why is your car not at the dealer? A month is 29 days too long for most repairs and if it is at the dealer you better start complaining :lol:
It is at the dealer, that’s why it’s there because I have an extended warranty lol.

Trade it in and roll over the negative equity in a lease...drive the lease "accidentally" into a river a few weeks later to get it totaled out. Leases come with GAP insurance...Lease another car without any negative equity added in :pimp: :lol:
BEAUTIFUL POST AND datznasty datznasty IS TAKING NOTES

No disrespect bro, but the max you should pay for an Impala or any non luxury American sedan is 25K.

Never pay retail for an American car if it's not an enthusiast car. They usually give rebates to move them off the lot

I wouldn’t even pay retail or below retail ($7K) for that SS. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom