Transferring to a UC question

went to asu for a year and had a 3.0 gpa, no D's or F's and i decided to leave this year and am going to city college in the bay area. What kind of gpa do i need to have here, and what courses are required for uc's? pref. cal or ucla

Cal and UCLA, a whole lot more then a 3.0. There's gonna be some majors are going to be harder to get into. From what I heard since Berk/UCLA are pretty much identical in admission state: minimum 3.5+ GPA for most majors, and 3.7+ for most impacted majors. For engineering, you'll probably need to shoot for a 3.6+. Make sure you have great essays as well. You'll have a better chance since you're gonna come from a CCC. And for required courses, look at the schools requirements and then see if they have any requirements for your major. If you can't do that part at least for yourself then...
Team NC State
Dre Brown- What's Good FSU?
Team Mayhem​

Cal and UCLA...i think you gotta have at least around 3.5 to have a shot...now UCSD (if interested) would be a little less than that.
Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
UCSD Football: Still Undefeated​

Cal and UCLA are going to be tough for you. From what I know, they're looking at least 3.6-3.7. I was lucky to transfer to UCLA (2 years ago) with a 3.3. I guess it was my essay and work experience that helped me out. Go to www.assist.org to see what classes you can take that are equivalent to classes at the UC that you want to transfer to. Talk to a counselor for more information. Try to also find out if City College has a transfer guarantee program with some UC's. In my case, we had transfer programs with UCD, UCSD, and Cal Poly.
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS​
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX​
RIP Bill Walsh​

the easiest way is just to see if your JC has a transfer agreement contract with certain UCs. if thats the case, do your thing..get the required classes done, get the grades, and you'll be at a UC soon
when is enough ENOUGH?!?!

Seriously if you wanna go to UCLA or Berk start doing shhh for yourself.
Team NC State
Team Mayhem​

my appointment with an advisor is later this week, and it was quick and easy to ask a few questions here. i dont need your advice monkey.

:rolleyes
eyes.gif
www.admissions.ucla.edu/p...7_CAcc.htmwww.admissions.ucla.edu/p...Prof07.htm
Quote:
Every California community college has an agreement with the University, called a transfer course agreement (TCA), that specifies which of its courses receive UC credit.
www.universityofcaliforni...nning.html
Team NC State
Team Mayhem​

na i did appreciate it, but that last comment was not necessary bc i could not find transfer agreements for some schools, and i couldnt call them bc its sunday but thanks for the link and advice.

sorry but i gotta hijack ur post for a minute...but it's related to transferring

what's weird tho is even for those undergrad admissions (applying as a senior), UCSD's mean GPA was 4.0-something but mine was 3.75. I mention this cuz I'm attempting a inter-UC transfer by transferring to Berkeley, but I have a 3.4 college GPA right now with 3 quarters in (3.2 in my last qtr cuz i burned out-the schedule was pure overload and the Warriors made the playoffs. nuff said)..and it seems like i'd need at least a 3.5. Is it worth a shot? I don't wanna go through all the effort knowing that they're not gonna take me, because while UCSD sucks @#%$, the classes there are great and it's not a bad school to begin with, so there's not too big a diff. between SD and Berkeley.
Team49ers

Well I'm just gonna go off UCLA's numbers since Berk is similar. Going UC to UC is hard. They give priority to CCC students first then they go through the UC students. I mean it's worth the shot. All you gotta do is write some essays, fill out the app., etc. What's your major because that does help.
Team NC State
Team Mayhem​

i'm a mechanical engineering major..and thanks.
Team49ers

whoah engineering, you'll need @ least a 3.7 gpa to get in if you're lucky. What they don't tell you is that you'd probaly get in if you apply to the Liberal Arts major, get accepted, then petitioned to change your major. peace...
Quote:
"The ink of a scholaris worth a thousand times morethan the blood of a martyr"....

I went to Cal straight out of high school, but applied to a smaller college within Cal, College of Natural Resources. I actually was more interested in the majors offered by CNR rather than those in Letters and Science. Anyways, my grades were excellent (weighted it was over 4.0), but SAT's were mediocre. But since I applied to CNR, which isn't as competitive as L&S, I got accepted. It just worked out that I really wanted to be in CNR. But that's one route you can try to get your foot in the door.

Another way to get in is to be very convincing as to what you want to do after college. If they see that you are passionate about being, let's say an architect, and you have some "real world" knowledge about it, that helps too. My advice would be to try to find an internship in the field that you want to go into. Better yet, find that internship at Cal/UCLA and it might help even more.

Hope that helps. Go Bears!

Back
Top Bottom