Troy Williamson Docked Pay For Missing Game For Funeral

Quote:
The Minnesota Vikings have docked wide receiver Troy Williamson one game check for missing last Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers to attend the Monday funeral of his maternal grandmother.

Based on his 2007 salary of $435,000, the action by the Vikings will cost the three-year veteran $25,588. Williamson has 45 days to appeal Minnesota's decision to withhold his pay, and NFL Players Association sources said he will do so.

Coach Brad Childress told Twin Cities-area media following Thursday's practice that the decision was on a "business principle" of the Vikings organization.

"He had a family obligation that he had to see to," Childress said. "We sat down and talked on it before he left. ... He had to do what he had to do. Everybody handles that differently. [Williamson] had to do what his family situation called for."

Childress cited the cases of two players, Minnesota defensive tackle Pat Williams and Indianapolis wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who appeared in games shortly after the deaths of family members.
Williamson's maternal grandmother, who helped to raise him and with whom he was very close, died last week and he returned to South Carolina, where he played a large role in arranging her funeral. He also had to make travel arrangements for several of his siblings, some of whom are in the armed services. He returned to the team on Wednesday as the Vikings began practicing for this Sunday's game against Green Bay.

The team apparently apprised Williamson on Wednesday that he would not receive a paycheck for the game that he missed.
"I don't care if they would have [taken] my pay for the rest of the year, I was going home," Williamson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It wouldn't have mattered to me."

The team's first-round choice in the 2005 draft and regarded as Minnesota's best deep threat despite continuing inconsistencies that have marked his career, Williams has nine receptions for 159 yards and one touchdown while starting in six of seven games.
Williamson's agent, David Canter, revealed last week that his client's older brother was injured in an automobile accident in September and that he has been hospitalized in Georgia, where he has been in and out of a coma. He said Williamson, who has been able to spend only a little time visiting his brother, has been battling through the ordeal of "a grieving and healing" process and that his family is his first priority.
"What we have is both of the situations and circumstances coming to a head," Canter said. "His brother is in the hospital, and who knows what his health status will be? And then his grandma passing. He needs to be with his family. The Vikings are his extended family, and hopefully he can come back and continue to work to be the most successful he can be."

Canter declined comment Thursday evening on the decision by Minnesota officials to withhold Williamson's paycheck for last week.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

what do you guys think of this? I mean i guess I see where the Vikings are coming from on a business stand point but can you really expect Williamson to not go to the funeral?

Team Dodgers
55 . 59 . 63 . 65 . 81 . 88

aim-shoebacca06

I see where they stand from a business standpoint, but there was just a death in his family. Have a heart man.
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.​
.:: We Aint Scurred of the C's ::.
TEAM PRARIE BOYZ​

25k to someone who has enough money to own a football team isn't much. I know its still 25k but still, show some sympathy :smh:
smh.gif
TEAMCOWBOYS
VI..XII..XXVII..XXVIII..XXX......
I'm MrMundayNite, nice to meet you

Wow it's a funeral ffs.. cut the man some slack.
TEAM EAGLES
Andrews - Baskett - Brown - Brown - Bunkley - Cole - Considine - Curtis - Dawkins - Gaither - Gocong - Herremans​
Howard - Jackson - Kearse - McNabb - Patterson - Runyan - Sheppard - Spikes - Tapeh - Thomas - Westbrook​

indifferent.gif

The Vikings Organization is a @#%$ Joke. Period.

I hope everyone that plays for the Vikings peeps that situation and never goes out of their way for them.

Thats the gayest @#%$ Ive ever heard of.

[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

I think this is one of those times that they could have looked the other way and let it go. The man is obviously dealing with a loss. SMH
If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score?

He didn't play no pay. i understand the death and R.I.P. but at the same time it's business. i wouldn't have taken his whole pay check just a percentage
- - - - - TEAM JORDAN - - - - -
- - - - Reggie Miller (MILLER TIME) - - - -​

^
But we have done a good job of drafting people over the past two years.

]2006
Chad Greenway
Cedric Griffin

Adrian Peterson
Sidney Rice
Marcus McCauley[

Quote:
he Vikings Organization is a Joke. Period.

I hope everyone that plays for the Vikings peeps that situation and never goes out of their way for them.

Thats the gayest Ive ever heard of.
:lol:
laugh.gif
You're the Kind of Girl a Guy Like Me
Could Hypnotize​

Only organizations like the Bengals do @#%$ like that, and now the Vikings.

Good Luck wit your team man.

Its been dudes miss games due to child birth and theyve gotten their money and when the Oilers tried to pull that @#%$ on one of their OL they received hella backlash and caved in and paid dude.

That is a JOKE even in the NFL.
[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

The thing is, it was a combination of his grandmother's death plus his brother having been in the hospital, I feel like you have to be granted some sort of leave, business or not.
TEAMNEWYORKMETSget busy livin or get busy dyin, that's g-ddamn right
EMAIL:DDOTSEVEN@GMAIL.COM

^ What's the leash that players get then for personal things? Is it not a business? Troy left for basically a FULL WEEK. According to the articles here he informed the team about it October 29th. He left shortly after that and then returned to the team for Wednesday's practice (November 7th).

We ALL have different ways of coping with death, but that's not the issue here and Troy knew that from the get-go. He took a full week and the Vikings docked his pay. Again, I dont necesarily say that is what I would do. But I wouldnt say it's a joke, and neither is their business.....especially when u got cats who fly in for funerals and fly out a day later and dont miss their games.

The ironic part tho is Troy probably wouldnt have suited up anyway, so you got me there
You're the Kind of Girl a Guy Like Me​
Could Hypnotize​

Quote:
The ironic part tho is Troy probably wouldnt have suited up anyway,

rite there tells the whole story.
sick.gif
that reassures me that the Vikings are a a garbage organization. a man that they didnt even plan on having activated was grieving. so they found the easy out so they woulnt have to cut him a one week game check. Like if they did pay him, they would be in the red.

Straight garbage. They might as well start makin players pay for their practice jerseys like the bengals
sick.gif

a game they won...? i'd understand if they lost..
I can say, "I got to see Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Wayne Gretzky, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Dan Marino, & LaDainian Tomlinson Play".
(Let's see if anyone wants to copy my sig.)

Haha what's your beef? How many jobs you know where you get paid for missing work (minus the whole sick days, holidays, etc.).

I personally think it's a little messed up, but they sat with dude and explained how it would work and dude went anyway. Business.

Quote:
How many jobs you know where you get paid for missing work (minus the whole sick days, holidays, etc.).

tired.gif

U sure about that?

Alot of Jobs and HR departments have grievance pay.
I run an entire dept and we pay 72 hrs grievance without taking hrs from the employees vacation or sick time.

That's what the "etc." was for. And I'm not sure how it would work, but I'm pretty sure 1 NFL Game > 3 days out the year...

If the D Coordinator's wife died and he couldnt make a game because the funeral on Sunday, in your honest assessment, do you think they would withhold his check?

nerd.gif

Quote:
That's what the "etc." was for

what do you think grievance means?

Quote:
And I'm not sure how it would work, but I'm pretty sure 1 NFL Game > 3 days out the year...

yea next time he should fit his grandmother's death into the team's schedule

Quote:
"I don't care if they would have [taken] my pay for the rest of the year, I was going home," Williamson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It wouldn't have mattered to me."

realest @#%$ Ever.

I don't know to be honest, but I would hope they would be consistent across the board.

But what are you suggesting with the question? That they're targeting Troy? Or just the players in general?

Gunna what I'm saying is you said your job has a 72 hour grievance right? Well Troy missed 3 days of practice AND a game. So, if he worked with you, he would have been docked pay for the days past 72 hours. And, again, NFL work days don't equal out to regular work days...

I realize it doesnt equal out. I wzs merely giving you an example of grievance pay because you seemed unfamiliar with the practice.

Quote:
serious?

very, When marvin Lewis was hired, he put a stop to it, immediately.

That's a cold heartless move. It's a business but part of running a good business is not doing stuff to generate bad PR.
TEAM DENVER NUGGETS
Anthony, Camby, Diawara, Iverson, Kleiza, Martin, Najera, Nen, Smith​

Its a judgement call. Personally, if i have enough money to own a football team, $25,000 aint nothin. But at the same time, what if it was a dude who made $500,000. I think you have to show that you aren't going to let them slide. I dont get paid if I call in sick.
TEAM ARSENAL
Lehmann
Sagna-Eboue-Toure-Gallas
Rosicky-Gilberto-Fabregas-Denilson
Eduardo-Van Persie​

Back
Top Bottom