Truthfully, could you live off 40k a year?

you could in LA i guess but if you have a wife and kid you'll be struggling especially after taxes
but by yourself its possible but you'll still be struggling and probably never actually own a house till your like 43 supposing yo start when your 23

It's more than enough plus you have to start somewhere. You can manage off that and hopefully find something that you're wanting later down the line.

Remember, most of us college grads just have to step foot into the real world and work our way up from there. We can't be expeecting that 100K a yearsalary right off the bat.

I make high 40's, good enough for me. I Live in a condo with a couple of friends, can still go out and have fun, buy food, and I drive a bimmer. IMO 40k isgood enough if youre single.

I graduated in Dec 05.
Started accounting in Jan of 06. I sacraficed a lot, bit the bullet and opted to move back with my Parents. I saved a lot, spent some too. It was the bestdecision I've made.

Our pay structure was like this (all before taxes) and our firm is in SF:

Staff: $44-45k + OT
Staff 2: $48-49k + OT

Sacramento offers cheaper rents in some places if living with your parents isn't a viable option.
You can live off of it, not balling, but you can live. Might be rough depending on loan situations. Learn to cut expenses. There's ALWAYS a way to minimizesomething. It could be as simple as moving from Verizon to a SERO Sprint plan. Pack your own lunch, etc.

Sac got ravished by the subprime market, therefore I am unsure what it's doing to rent. In SF, rent has definitely increased.

Also, don't do what most college grads do and try and immediately cop the whip. Yes you want to give yourself something nice for graduating, but it may bethe deciding factor on where and how you live too.

I'm in the south so I could live of $40k with no problems.
It's all about managing your money wisely no matter what your salary is.

You just gotta eat bean burritos and other low end foods from the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom