U of Wisconsin cut ties with Nike

http://www.google.com/hos...1tpZnwA4XXgJK6gD9EVTS700

MADISON, Wis. — The University of Wisconsin canceled its licensingagreement with Nike Inc. on Friday, becoming the first university totake that step over concerns about the company's treatment of workersin Honduras.

Chancellor Biddy Martin said Nike hasn't done enoughto help workers collect severance payments they are owed at twofactories that abruptly closed last year.

"Nike has notdeveloped, and does not intend to develop, meaningful ways ofaddressing the plight of displaced workers and their families inHonduras," Martin said. "It has not presented clear long-range plans toprevent or respond to similar problems in the future. For thiscombination of reasons, we have decided to end our relationship fornow."

Weren't they an Adidas school?

Ah well, Nike has lots of schools that want them.

We are an adidas school,

however, the nike outlets, team store, in the madison/wi area always seem to have UW Nike gear.

I have never understood this.

Sad day, esp when I look to our neighbors and a majority of them are in the swoosh. (MN, IA, IL, Mich St. etc)

Originally Posted by sho3tym

We are an adidas school,

however, the nike outlets, team store, in the madison/wi area always seem to have UW Nike gear.

That's ******ed. 
laugh.gif

Adidas is mainly, but not entirely, an Adidas school.... for example, certain sports are with each of the respective brands.Baylor is another school that does this - the girls bball team was Nike, the boys bball team was Adidas.

Originally Posted by sho3tym

We are an adidas school,

Sad day, esp when I look to our neighbors and a majority of them are in the swoosh. (MN, IA, IL, Mich St. etc)
Not like IA matters.. They should be an UA team.

Props, i always thought nike was crooked as far as that goes. Think about it, there are tons of people in the u.s. that need work, but i'm sure nike won't open a factory here because they don't want to pay people minimum wage.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Props, i always thought nike was crooked as far as that goes. Think about it, there are tons of people in the u.s. that need work, but i'm sure nike won't open a factory here because they don't want to pay people minimum wage.
Trying to turn a profit =/= crooked

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

You could say this about just about every major corporation in America, not just Nike.

The University of Wisconsin deserves monster respect. Nike's been called out on their business practices before on a small scale but this is the first time that Nike's been called out by a major university.

i'm not sure all of you read the article.

Nike is not the one who is refusing to pay, it's the subcontractors.

they contract their work out to different companies. Nike isn't responsible for that subcontactor's business practices.

while i understand the position of the University of Wisconsin, this is not Nike who is refusing to pay their workers.

I never get why Nike gets so much hate when adidas manufacturing plants in developing countries utilize the same potentially exploitative labor tactics as Nike... only prob is that Nike has more well-documented/media-exposed cases.

As liberal as I am and supportive of human rights, its tough to apply developed country labor standards across the board to developing countries. Further, after having conducted academic research on human and sex trafficking in the developing world, esp southeast Asia, I'd be hard pressed to say Nike/adidas/Apple or whatever other Western company is doing business there is doing more harm than good. If there are no Western company factory jobs in, say, Cambodia (where sex trafficking already makes up for a LARGE part of their over tourism industry), well, human and sex trafficking become that much of a viable industry, economic stimulant, and line of work for people to take up or be forced into.

I dunno, I do and will continue to wear Nike. The good outweighs the bad for me, and no other athletic shoes fit as well as Nike's.

Originally Posted by osubass1

they contract their work out to different companies. Nike isn't responsible for that subcontactor's business practices.

while i understand the position of the University of Wisconsin, this is not Nike who is refusing to pay their workers.
They're also responsible.They could put pressure on their subcontractors like adidas and Puma.
Both cancelled contracts due to subcontractors behavior.

Originally Posted by engoi

They're also responsible.They could put pressure on their subcontractors like adidas and Puma.
Both cancelled contracts due to subcontractors behavior.

...and clearly, Nike has attempted to address the situation:

Nike has offered to provide job training and give workers priority for jobs at nearby factories. But the Worker Rights Consortium, a labor rights watchdog, told college leaders in a report last month the company's response has been insufficient.

the contract is already over between Nike and the subcontractor, what more does Nike need to do to please you?

Nike is responsible on who they chose to produce their product. There are plenty of subcontractors who follow a non corrupt practice, but it would cost Nike more money to go with them. This is why they use certain subcontractors and look the other way. In the end, rite or wrong, its all about money and how the will create the largest profit for the company.

Back
Top Bottom