I need some "schooling" on the Marine Reserves
nerd.gif

I come to you guys

Originally Posted by ayejreeun

What's kinda info do you want?

oh didnt see this post

basically the gist of the whole Marine Reserve life
pros and definitely the cons

I've thinking of joining the Army reserves too. So far I know you go one weekend out of every month...unless they send you to war.

Originally Posted by spanishrock3r

well first of all why do you wanna go reserves and not active?
I'm guessing it's the same reason as mine, he still wants to handle business at home right now while serving.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

I'm guessing it's the same reason as mine, he still wants to handle business at home right now while serving.

understandable. now why army and not Marine Corps? for you?

look you do the marine or army thing for a weekend, once a month......i dont know how the marines do it but we have this thing called "Annual Training" where we go in for two weeks and do the regular stuff they do in the "real" army.

and #!@@ you milkandcookies
smile.gif

More jobs available in the army I heard. You must be a Marine/Former Marine.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

hes gotta be
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

laugh.gif

hes gotta be
laugh.gif
actaully i leave for basic in 11 days

Anyone know more info? I was never aware of the reserve unit. I was always interested but never wanted to spend extended periods away work/school...

Are you deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan as a reserve? If so, how long would it be? Also, is there a basic training I'd have to go through or is it one weekend a month and two weeks a year from the jump?

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

Are you deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan as a reserve?
My uncle told me they can deploy you but that's not a guarantee. I don't know the chances of them sending you out there though.

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

Anyone know more info? I was never aware of the reserve unit. I was always interested but never wanted to spend extended periods away work/school...

Are you deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan as a reserve? If so, how long would it be? Also, is there a basic training I'd have to go through or is it one weekend a month and two weeks a year from the jump?

1. Yes, you will be deployed Iraq/Afghanistan, and from what i know all deployments are a year or it may depend on the mission your unit is assigned. you may want to ask a recruiter

laugh.gif
all military branches, reserve, national guard, have to go through basic training, but if you do ROTC in college you just become a cadet, but thats army dont know how the other branches do it. And plus you'll like basic, its not as bad as it looks.

3. after you go through all this, then you start your one weekend a month, Annual Training and all that other good stuff

A friend of mine is in the Marine reserves and he was deployed to Afghanistan for 7 months. I'm thinking of going active duty in either Marines or Air Force, still haven't decided.

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

A friend of mine is in the Marine reserves and he was deployed to Afghanistan for 7 months. I'm thinking of going active duty in either Marines or Air Force, still haven't decided.

well what are you looking to do while in?

Im trying to get in the Air force or Army right now..

I heard Air force isnt taking any medical waivers right now though.. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

pros/cons?
Pros- Stay home, continue current career and or school.  One weekend a month as well as 2 weeks out of the year.
Cons- reserve pay that's about it
laugh.gif
but a civilian job probably would take over for income.

I'm a Reservist in the Marine Corp and I must say I like it but damn sometimes I wish I went active.

spanishrock3r where are you going for basic? Parris Island or MCRD?

Back
Top Bottom