U.S. Says Threat of Mexican Drug Cartels Approaching 'Crisis Proportions'

[h1]U.S. Says Threat of Mexican Drug Cartels Approaching 'Crisis Proportions'[/h1]
Tuesday , March 03, 2009

foxnews_story.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Two of Mexico's deadliest drug cartels have reached a combined force of 100,000 foot soldiers, wreaking havoc across the country and threatening U.S. border states, the U.S. Defense Department told The Washington Times.

The cartels rival the Mexican army in size and have both Mexico and the U.S. in crisis mode as they deal with what they fear is a coming insurgency along the border.

"It's moving to crisis proportions," an unidentified defense official told The Times. The official also said the cartels have reached a size where they are on par with Mexico's army of 130,000.

About 7,000 people have died in the last year - more than 1,000 in January alone - at the hands of Mexico's increasingly violent drug cartels. Murders often involve beheadings or bodies dissolved in vats of acid.

The two most dangerous cartels are the Sinaloa cartel, nicknamed the "Federation" or "Golden Triangle" by law enforcement agencies, and "Los Zetas" (the Gulf Cartel). They have been growing and are reportedly discussing a truce or merger to better withstand government forces, The Times reported.

Mexico is now only behind Pakistan and Iran as a U.S. national security concern, coming in ahead of Afghanistan and Iraq, the defense official told The Times.

The country's attorney general, Eduardo Medina Mora, called last week for more U.S. prosecutions of people who sell weapons illegally to the cartels, as well as more efforts to stop drug profits from flowing south.

Mexico has spent $6.5 billion over the last two years, on top of its normal public security budget, on the fight against drugs, but that falls short of the $10 billion Mexican drug gangs bring in annually, he said.

While violence in Tijuana is down sharply from last year, killings have spiked in the largest border city, Ciudad Juarez. The city of 1.3 million across from El Paso, Texas, is now the most worrisome of a number of hotspots, Medina Mora said.

Click here to read more on this story from The Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/03/100000-foot-soldiers-in-cartels/
Regardless of the source I got thearticle from, this issue is becoming more and more important as each day passes. We need to decriminalize drugs not legalize it as well as close the bordersand begin deportations. Its only a matter of time before the war crosses the border on a larger scale.

The war on drug has a lot to do with this. I get mad at people blaming Mexico straight out. $%^&*#(. Blame the propaganda that has been shoved downpeople's throats for years. Let people do whatever they want to their bodies. If they want to ^&*($ up their lives then let them. There will still bepeople who decide not to go down that path and do great things. The war on drugs has done nothing but create problems. Mexico is losing grip fast and isfalling down to these drug cartels. Obviously if the problem persists, maybe there is something wrong with the current way of handling the situation.

That is the one thing I hate about the US Government, and the government of any place in general. They aren't willing to admit they made a mistake and lookfor a way to fix the problem. It is like trying to fix a broken TV with a hammer. Things need to change instead of blaming it on someone else, giving my peoplea bad rap.
mad.gif

Yes! Flood this country with as much cheap, low grade, Reggie Miller as possible. I know TIME feel a __ if nobody else
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Yes! Flood this country with as much cheap, low grade, Reggie Miller as possible. I know TIME feel a __ if nobody else
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

We dont need no more reggie out here...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

you talkin bout them dimes for threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee huh man ........ as long as these dudes isnt killin innocent peopleits cool

Just like I said about the Middle East, let them all kill each other, who cares. They obviously don't value life.

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

Just like I said about the Middle East, let them all kill each other, who cares. They obviously don't value life.
There's a BIG difference, Mexico is basically connected to the US (borders). Also like others have said, the "War on Drugs" isreally the underlying cause.

Yea I made a thread bout this myself not long ago, its crazy though. I was watchin some special on one of those news stations not long ago also. Them cats gotsoooo many guns and ammo.

Let me get some of them powder packs, gone head and bring it through Texas I can make that trip to sister crib

Originally Posted by MetallicNitro

The war on drug has a lot to do with this. I get mad at people blaming Mexico straight out. $%^&*#(. Blame the propaganda that has been shoved down people's throats for years. Let people do whatever they want to their bodies. If they want to ^&*($ up their lives then let them. There will still be people who decide not to go down that path and do great things. The war on drugs has done nothing but create problems. Mexico is losing grip fast and is falling down to these drug cartels. Obviously if the problem persists, maybe there is something wrong with the current way of handling the situation.

That is the one thing I hate about the US Government, and the government of any place in general. They aren't willing to admit they made a mistake and look for a way to fix the problem. It is like trying to fix a broken TV with a hammer. Things need to change instead of blaming it on someone else, giving my people a bad rap.
mad.gif

QFT We probably have something to do with it escalating. Just like the gov't flooded the hood with cocaine in the late 70's and early 80's

Back
Top Bottom