U.S. Says Threat of Mexican Drug Cartels Approaching 'Crisis Proportions'

I went to TJ a couple months back. I never felt any danger but I won't be going there any time soon. Sucks cause I always have a blast out there.

Originally Posted by Sorkoram

Went to Tijuana this summer...

I am not going back anytime soon
laugh.gif
smh.gif
lets hear that story fam

Not me and MY car stereo... I don't even lock my car doors at night and I stay in the WORSE city block-for-block crime-wise in the USA. I'm practicallydaring one of these geniuses to give me a reason to shoot. I couldn't care less...

Wait, in what natural order of things do police exist? Or rules for that matter. Now I'm not advocating anarchy, but since when was this world meant to bea "safe" place anyway? It's that false sense of security... that false sense of a RIGHT to security... that makes drugs illegal. Morality is aconvenient punch line for whichever joker is in power at the time. It's not like the laws of physics which are by all measures absolute. Morality canchange on a dime, word to the Old Testament. So in situations like this, I don't subscribe to it. I say let the chips fall where they may..... then pick upthe remaining pieces...

Originally Posted by duerr

I can see everyone's argument on legalization of drugs, but I doubt that legalizing some drugs is going to stop the cartels. If there isn't an obscene profit in drugs, then they'll move to other illegal business models that present high profits. Human trafficking, prostitution, designer drugs, kidnapping,murder for hire, etc.

I don't think that the cartels are the antithesis of the war on drugs, but rather organizations that are opportunistic on high profit illegal trade.Drugs just happen to be that trade right now.
I disagree. What gives these cartels power is that they have access to drugs a lot of places in America don't. There is a demand for drugs inthe states, can't say the same about human trafficking, prostitution, murder for hire.

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Not me and MY car stereo... I don't even lock my car doors at night and I stay in the WORSE city block-for-block crime-wise in the USA. I'm practically daring one of these geniuses to give me a reason to shoot. I couldn't care less...

Wait, in what natural order of things do police exist? Or rules for that matter. Now I'm not advocating anarchy, but since when was this world meant to be a "safe" place anyway? It's that false sense of security... that false sense of a RIGHT to security... that makes drugs illegal. Morality is a convenient punch line for whichever joker is in power at the time. It's not like the laws of physics which are by all measures absolute. Morality can change on a dime, word to the Old Testament. So in situations like this, I don't subscribe to it. I say let the chips fall where they may..... then pick up the remaining pieces...
so do you actually have a legitimate explanation as to why cocaine or any other drug should be legal

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

I can see everyone's argument on legalization of drugs, but I doubt that legalizing some drugs is going to stop the cartels. If there isn't an obscene profit in drugs, then they'll move to other illegal business models that present high profits. Human trafficking, prostitution, designer drugs, kidnapping,murder for hire, etc.

I don't think that the cartels are the antithesis of the war on drugs, but rather organizations that are opportunistic on high profit illegal trade.Drugs just happen to be that trade right now.
I disagree. What gives these cartels power is that they have access to drugs a lot of places in America don't. There is a demand for drugs in the states, can't say the same about human trafficking, prostitution, murder for hire.
you'd be surprised how much of a demand there is for those things

Wait, in what natural order of things do police exist? Or rules for that matter. Now I'm not advocating anarchy, but since when was this world meant to be a "safe" place anyway? It's that false sense of security... that false sense of a RIGHT to security... that makes drugs illegal. Morality is a convenient punch line for whichever joker is in power at the time. It's not like the laws of physics which are by all measures absolute. Morality can change on a dime, word to the Old Testament. So in situations like this, I don't subscribe to it. I say let the chips fall where they may..... then pick up the remaining pieces...

You talk of a lifestyle in which I know damn well you wouldn't want to live in. The only reason you aren't +*$%**%* your pants on a daily basis isBECAUSE of our sense of morality. Tell me how cool you would be with coke fiends shanking you to get money for their next fix.

roll.gif
talkin about natural order when you wouldn't make it past 25 in such a setting.

People DESERVE the right to decide their own fate. Period. It's only natural. Nowhere in the wild is there a committee set up to keep predatory animals from eating spotted prey. So by extension, I believe people who are dumb enough to choose to become drug addicts in this world FULL of information and education deserve the right to do so. then the rest of us could live on without them..

Coke fiends aren't in some isolated bubble. They live within our society, they affect us. Coke fiends = Crime = Murder/Rape/Burglary.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

lets hear that story fam
Well it USED to be a routine trip, but this was before they stopped letting Marines go down there (legally), so I'm like "ahh f it, wegoin"

was just me and my dudes(couple of Marines, few Navy, and some of my civilian friends from SD) co go through the bs border patrol mess. So we get over there,and we walking around, looking for a night spot to hit up(looks like a ghost town now) and then we see some frail looking dude posted up on the corner getsnatched up by a car full of dudes(like damn we only been down there 30mins at the max), couple of them armed. I mean as soon as you get down there, you gotdudes walking up to you asking if you wanna hold something or a prostitute getting at you
sick.gif
. It's been known that cats get jumped for all their belongings down there,but you know how us young whipper-snapper think, we think we're invincible
laugh.gif
, but me and my dudes just ended up turning around after that. It was late as hell and wasn't nothing pleasant looking around
eyes.gif
. I mean you at least would like to see some fellow tourists, but that was NOTthe case and watching plenty of movies, makes you want to just turn around if it starts feeling all awkward
roll.gif
smh.gif

lets hear that story fam
Well it USED to be a routine trip, but this was before they stopped letting Marines go down there (legally), so I'm like "ahh f it, we goin"

was just me and my dudes(couple of Marines, few Navy, and some of my civilian friends from SD) co go through the bs border patrol mess. So we get over there, and we walking around, looking for a night spot to hit up(looks like a ghost town now) and then we see some frail looking dude posted up on the corner get snatched up by a car full of dudes(like damn we only been down there 30mins at the max), couple of them armed. I mean as soon as you get down there, you got dudes walking up to you asking if you wanna hold something or a prostitute getting at you
sick.gif
. It's been known that cats get jumped for all their belongings down there, but you know how us young whipper-snapper think, we think we're invincible
laugh.gif
, but me and my dudes just ended up turning around after that. It was late as hell and wasn't nothing pleasant looking around
eyes.gif
. I mean you at least would like to see some fellow tourists, but that was NOT the case and watching plenty of movies, makes you want to just turn around if it starts feeling all awkward
roll.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
damn dude was just posted on the corner & got snatched in front of yalleyes. looks like i aint goin 2 mexico no time soon.

I disagree. What gives these cartels power is that they have access to drugs a lot of places in America don't. There is a demand for drugs in the states, can't say the same about human trafficking, prostitution, murder for hire.
So it is your assumption that if drugs (for the purpose of this conversation) did not come in to play (were either legalized or were successfullyeradicated) that these cartels would no longer exist in some form or another ? They would not evolve and provide an illegal service outside of the the drugtrade ?

Could you go into more detail ? I don't exactly understand.

Not me and MY car stereo... I don't even lock my car doors at night and I stay in the WORSE city block-for-block crime-wise in the USA. I'm practically daring one of these geniuses to give me a reason to shoot. I couldn't care less...

so do you actually have a legitimate explanation as to why cocaine or any other drug should be legal
Gimme a sec. I'll search for the thread I made a while back...

Edit:
Ever just woke up, scratched your head, and thought, "Man, I wish drugs were legal"?

I have.

For starters, let me just say that I believe in one's right to suicide. It's up to you to determine your own fate, if you chose to. Therefore, I don't believe there is a practical obligation to prevent someone from killing their self if they really want to. Sure, morally it's pretty sound to do your best to help someone help their self, but it's not like you should be forced to. That's your choice and it's up to you (and whoever you believe put you here for a reason
nerd.gif
) to make that decision. I believe that people will learn to stop falling to their death if you take away the safety net. Ever seen Constantine? I agreed with Gabriel in principle, just not in practice.

So with that said, this is a very basic outline of why I think drugs should be legalized

MORE SUPPLY WOULD:

• create jobs
    • Pawning
    • Rehab/caregiving
    • Import/export
      • transport
      • border control
    • Police and protection fields
      • keeping the user population in line
      • maintaining gov't control over drugs
  • effect taxes and debts
    • If drugs are legalized and taxed, lowering taxes elsewhere would be reasonable.
    • National Debt could be virtually erased with a steep tax on drugs.
  • Kill street profits
    • Profit margins are a product of the balance of supply and demand.
    • In the inner city, education becomes priority once more
      • Blacks and Latinos see rises in graduation rates as "hustlin ambitions" become futile.
      • Eventual racial equality
        • Those that deny the drug epidemic go on to become successful role models
        • The stigma of the black junkie is thrown out with the eventual surge in user populations in suburbia
        • Because the new drug crutch would effect all ages and races, it would unite us against ignorance instead of against eachother
  • Less violence -- see Prohibition
    • More supply cuts down on cut throat violence and organized cartels
  • Less demand for drugs
    • Education + exposure = less new addictions per year
  • Less curiosity (the taboo factor)
    • Not as many kids to get addicted by mistake
    • It's no longer an esoteric phenomenon and thus no longer "cool" to experiment

Now I could be wrong, or I could be right....

Discuss.

So it is your assumption that if drugs (for the purpose of this conversation) did not come in to play (were either legalized or were successfully eradicated) that these cartels would no longer exist in some form or another ? They would not evolve and provide an illegal service outside of the the drug trade ?

Could you go into more detail ? I don't exactly understand.
These are DRUG cartels are they not? I don't know what their plan b is as far as another 'illegal service', but I do know it wouldprobably not generate more money and problems then the current drug situation.

Criminals and organized crime are gonna exist either way ALL THE TIME, even if we do legalize drugs. At this point it's about lowering the magnitude of theproblem.

I'm planning to go to some place called Puerto Vallarta this summer. I'm pretty sure it's safe but can anyone confirm this before I book the tickets.
from what I've read they suggest you stay out of Mexico period. Tourists spots will be safe most of the time, but people have been caught incrossfire, so there are no guarantees.

I'm planning to go to some place called Puerto Vallarta this summer. I'm pretty sure it's safe but can anyone confirm this before I book thetickets.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

I'm planning to go to some place called Puerto Vallarta this summer. I'm pretty sure it's safe but can anyone confirm this before I book the tickets.
I've never been to Puerto Vallarta, but I don't think theres anything bad going on over there. I went to Mexico this summer, but itdepends where you go to get caught up in a crossfire.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
damn dude was just posted on the corner & got snatched in front of yall eyes. looks like i aint goin 2 mexico no time soon.

Nah, the thing about it was, we weren't the only people that saw it. It was a busy street or whatever and when it happened, so I was waiting for somesirens to pop off, anything. People just continued on with their business like that type of Body Snatcher stunt happens on the daily
laugh.gif
. You're not strapped with anything and you in a foreign country that haslittle protection over anyone with all the drug territory bs going on down there. I wouldn't recommend going to TJ anytime soon.

[gorilla zoe] walking around, looking for a way, but no one tells me which way to go [/gorilla zoe]
smh.gif

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

I live in San Antonio, TX im mad close. LOL

I was just in San Antonio this weekend. My father said he could get half an ounce of dro for 20 dollars, and an ounce for 35. Crazy.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
damn dude was just posted on the corner & got snatched in front of yall eyes. looks like i aint goin 2 mexico no time soon.

Nah, the thing about it was, we weren't the only people that saw it. It was a busy street or whatever and when it happened, so I was waiting for some sirens to pop off, anything. People just continued on with their business like that type of Body Snatcher stunt happens on the daily
laugh.gif
. You're not strapped with anything and you in a foreign country that has little protection over anyone with all the drug territory bs going on down there. I wouldn't recommend going to TJ anytime soon.

[gorilla zoe] walking around, looking for a way, but no one tells me which way to go [/gorilla zoe]
smh.gif
Wait, wait, wait....your a Marine and you didn't want to venture around TJ, now that's saying something...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nah, the thing about it was, we weren't the only people that saw it. It was a busy street or whatever and when it happened, so I was waiting for some sirens to pop off, anything. People just continued on with their business like that type of Body Snatcher stunt happens on the daily
laugh.gif
. You're not strapped with anything and you in a foreign country that has little protection over anyone with all the drug territory bs going on down there. I wouldn't recommend going to TJ anytime soon.

smh.gif
Wait, wait, wait....your a Marine and you didn't want to venture around TJ, now that's saying something...
laugh.gif
Nah, I'm not a Marine but I was with a couple of them and they were
eek.gif
sick.gif
smh.gif
along with the rest of us AMERICANS
laugh.gif

Gimme a sec. I'll search for the thread I made a while back...

Edit:
Ever just woke up, scratched your head, and thought, "Man, I wish drugs were legal"?

I have.

For starters, let me just say that I believe in one's right to suicide. It's up to you to determine your own fate, if you chose to. Therefore, I don't believe there is a practical obligation to prevent someone from killing their self if they really want to. Sure, morally it's pretty sound to do your best to help someone help their self, but it's not like you should be forced to. That's your choice and it's up to you (and whoever you believe put you here for a reason
nerd.gif
) to make that decision. I believe that people will learn to stop falling to their death if you take away the safety net. Ever seen Constantine? I agreed with Gabriel in principle, just not in practice.

So with that said, this is a very basic outline of why I think drugs should be legalized

MORE SUPPLY WOULD:

• create jobs
    • Pawning
    • Rehab/caregiving
    • Import/export
      • transport
      • border control
    • Police and protection fields
      • keeping the user population in line
      • maintaining gov't control over drugs
  • effect taxes and debts
    • If drugs are legalized and taxed, lowering taxes elsewhere would be reasonable.
    • National Debt could be virtually erased with a steep tax on drugs.
  • Kill street profits
    • Profit margins are a product of the balance of supply and demand.
    • In the inner city, education becomes priority once more
      • Blacks and Latinos see rises in graduation rates as "hustlin ambitions" become futile.
      • Eventual racial equality
        • Those that deny the drug epidemic go on to become successful role models
        • The stigma of the black junkie is thrown out with the eventual surge in user populations in suburbia
        • Because the new drug crutch would effect all ages and races, it would unite us against ignorance instead of against eachother
  • Less violence -- see Prohibition
    • More supply cuts down on cut throat violence and organized cartels
  • Less demand for drugs
    • Education + exposure = less new addictions per year
  • Less curiosity (the taboo factor)
    • Not as many kids to get addicted by mistake
    • It's no longer an esoteric phenomenon and thus no longer "cool" to experiment

Now I could be wrong, or I could be right....

Discuss.

interesting explanation. But i think you're making a whole lot of assumptions that arent really based on any facts or anything.

My dad just got back from Mexico today. If you don't know how to handle or carry yourself then don't go otherwise all you people eating up all thisstuff about it not being safe anywhere are just adding to all the hysteria which although it may not be completely unfounded, it has been blown a little out ofproportion.

I mean it wasn't smart for any tourist to go flashing their money anywhere in Mexico at any time before this started happening. This isn't a newoccurrence. I don't know of ANY places though that you can safely flash your money when you are surrounded by poverty.

Oh and Tijuana was never a safe place to begin with. My dad won't even let us go there without him.

Back
Top Bottom