UC Berkeley Represent

I just accepted to UCB (as a transfer) and want to know what's really good?

How are the people? Any typical NTers/hypebeasts walking around?
How is the city? How is the cost of living? Do you have to share a room? Would a person from San Jose enjoy it? How's the racial diversity?

Any answers would help. I have yet to visit the campus, so if you think I should check something out, let me know. Which day should I go to get a true feel of the campus? Thanks.
Silicon Valley
Home to:
Apple - Cisco - EA - eBay - Google - HP - Intel - Oracle - Yahoo!​

Hypebeast are almost everywhere. The city is chill, rent is expensive. I have a two bed room apartment that runs me about 900 each. Really diverse and accepting community. Check out Fresh for sure. 510 and bows and arrows as well. As for campus, hit up Sproul Plaza and the Campanille.
Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
KEEP THE NINERS IN SAN FRANCISCO​

hit up fat slice :pimp:
pimp.gif
:pimp:
pimp.gif
block getsMONEY​

im from berkeley, practically raised here so id warn you that berkeley is a pretty crazy place. tons of freaks, hippies, and basically anyone you could ever imagine lives here. cops are real cool on marijuana but hard @#%$ on everything else. and dont go below sacramento afer dwight way
free city boys

Would any current students recommend living on campus? I will be a third-year so I was wondering if a lot of upper division students live on campus. Any specific places to live off campus that are good? Thanks.
Silicon Valley
Home to:

I personally dont live on campus but my friends do. They're all moving out, they dont like the dorms any more. It's way too expensive and it is not even worth it. The dorms are really really small but if you want to experince the dorm life then I'd suggest you to try it out for one semester. As for the diversity, well it's mostly white and asian but compared to other schools, Cal is still very diversed.

I'm going to be staying in Berkeley for the summer with a buddy of mine.

I think we've got an apartment on Dwight and Hillgrass near the People's Park south of campus. Do any of you who go there now know how this area is? Are there a lot of bars and restaraunts within walking distance?

Any help would be appreicated.

There are no hypebeasts. Nice shoes are a rarity. No joke.
Rent is expensive.
Berkeley is filled with weirdos.
Find an apartment, don't live in the dorms.

Hey NAOW Jacko, I'm gonna be living on Dwight and Hillegass next semester! what a coincidence

umm restaurants...asian ghetto(center with lots of restaurants) on durant, across the street is la burrita and top dog, the street college has a lot of restaurants, i think theres a bar nearby called henrys on bowditch and durant (but im not surecuz im not 21). Pretty much everything in Berkeley is within walking distance...if its a little far theres always the bus.
For Sale / For Trade:
DS 11 Destroyer Dunk
DS 11 Doerenbecher Charity Dunk
DS 10.5 OLNL Jordan I Package

Wanted in 10.5 or 11 DS:
Grape V, Stealth V, Air Max 90 Infrared, Korea AF1, Holland AF1

Anybody have any GOOD experiences? From the looks of this thread, Berkeley isn't a great place for undergrad in terms of experience.
Silicon Valley
Home to:

Quote:
Anybody have any GOOD experiences? From the looks of this thread, Berkeley isn't a great place for undergrad in terms of experience.

to me that goes for any college. its what you make out of it. im having the time of life in college, but i know a few people who are here that hate everyday they must be in berkeley. hope you find the place thats right for you.

TENnAHALF, what are some good things about Berkeley?

From your last post: "Rent is expensive", "Berkeley is filled with weirdos", made it seem like you hate it.
Silicon Valley
Home to:

Quote:
man, it's all about stanford...

truer words have never been spoken. We had a guest lecturer from cal in one of my classes today and i felt like i went back to remedial high school science or something

Quote:
cal sucks. plain and simple
:wink:
wink.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif
. it isn't too bad, though. the public transportation around here makes everything pretty accessible. the 40, 40L, 43 and 51 will be your friends.

-i can't say much about frat parties because i haven't been to too many, but the house parties are usually crackin. you just gotta know people.

"Bathed in sweat, bent over and gasping for breath at the finish line, the athlete might have wondered aloud if this is what death must feel like. In time, this same athlete will surely realize the opposite. Indeed, this is what life feels like."

Quote:
GO BEARS!!!...sorry how much did u stanfurd heads pay for your tuition again....

all one of me on NT? someone is bitter they didn't get in. It's well known that in everything minus current football (although historically football is on our side), stanford>>>>>berkeley

Quote:
truer words have never been spoken. We had a guest lecturer from cal in one of my classes today and i felt like i went back to remedial high school science or something

you reachin

Quote:
you reachin

definitely not. nice guy, but i've never heard a more worthless talk. at one point he plain admitted he wasn't up to our standards. although it's hard to match considering he's in the same field as kornberg who just got his nobel. i always knew there was a big difference, but that guy cemented the fact

I went there on Saturday, and I saw some alright looking girls. Definitely not as hideous as people make them out to be. It was at a transfer reception. Maybe the whole "ugly" girls thing comes from people in their 1st-2nd years. The girls who got admitted as transfers look alright.
Silicon Valley
Home to:

Quote:
It's well known that in everything minus current football (although historically football is on our side), stanford>>>>>berkeley

Based on what? I'll give you that Stanford has an overall better athletic program, but academically Stanford being better than Cal is just not true.

Cal (Haas) has a better business school than Stanford and comparable engineering and Law programs. And with all the Nobel Laureates on staff and in the history of the school and having 97% of their grad programs in the top 10% of the country you can't say that Stanford>>>>>Berkeley.

Socially, Cal is awesome. You won't find a more diverse group of individuals anywhere in the country (weirdoes or not). Berkeley is much more of a college town than Palo Alto. Don't get me wrong, I love Palo Alto and would live there in a heartbeat when I have a family, but as a college town, it doesn't compare.

Telegraph Ave>>>>>>University Ave (Palo Alto)

And lets not get into tuition rates, standards of living or value on the dollar.

Quote:
but academically Stanford being better than Cal is just not true.

you and your cal buddies are the only people on earth that would think that. hmm us news and world reports. stanford 2, cal 21. hmm...our education is well worth the price we pay. it prepares us far more. You can try all you want, but cal just doesn't stack up. then again, odds are you're still upset abotu being rejected by stanford liek 70% of cal students

Quote:
odds are you're still upset abotu being rejected by stanford liek 70% of cal students

haha more like 90% of the school. but the plain fact is NO ONE in their right mind would admit that another school, especially their historical rival school, is better than their school. i go to Cal, i got accepted to both Stanford and Cal, but i chose Cal. was it a bad decision? who knows, i loved the last 3 years i was here, and im sure i wouldve loved Stanford all the same.

BUT, this thread is getting off topic....BERKELEY SUMMIT ANYONE?

Back
Top Bottom