UC Irvine Heads... Pros/Cons of the School? Need Help

Just recently got into UC Irvine and I am considering going there. Can anybody who has visited or currently goes there help me out and tell me the pros and cons of the school? Academics? Parties? Campus life?

Its a commuter school so during the weeknights and weekends it'll be empty. My cousin goes there and says the demographics are 99% Asians

Almost transferred to UCI (from csuf) but half my friends went there and I spent time studying and partying there.  Pros I guess are its a nice campus.  If youre into asian girls, then its good money, but theres a decent amount of white girls too.  You can drink at the pub on campus and its known for a good bio program/new business mba school.  Cons, Irvine is a very boring city and unless youre in a frat or live on campus, its a commuter school.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

other choices?
As of right now just Santa Clara University and UC Riverside. Still waiting on UC Berkeley and UC Davis. I like the location of UC Irvine (about 15 minutes from Newport Beach, 45-60 minutes from LA). I don't like that it is a commuter school, I feel like I won't experience campus life to its full potential. And I am planning to major in business.

I go to Irvine. Its a pretty cool school, but it can get boring. The people are chill though. The type of people who are more lax than students who attend LA or Berkeley but still academically focused. The campus is nice but like people said, it can get pretty dead. By 4 o'clock its usually a ghost town. I'm majoring in business econ and they have a pretty good program. The Paul Merage School of Business is pretty good too. You should definitely dorm the first year otherwise you might not make many friends.

Edit: We also have (I think) the largest gym in Socal and Kobe comes to it on occasion. Theres some pictures floating around here of him with some fat asian kids.

lol @ people saying its not a party school. i honestly feel its all what you make of it regardless of where you go(cliche but true). I have friends that go to irvine and all they do is party. Some find balance between both academics and partying. and some just straight up sit in their room and do homework.

so my point is basically, asking others what the experience will be like is pointless because it really is up to you on what you wanna make of it.

Originally Posted by solelistikn1ke1ne

lol @ people saying its not a party school. i honestly feel its all what you make of it regardless of where you go(cliche but true). I have friends that go to irvine and all they do is party. Some find balance between both academics and partying. and some just straight up sit in their room and do homework.

so my point is basically, asking others what the experience will be like is pointless because it really is up to you on what you wanna make of it.

^This

Every school has people that party no matter how nerdy it may seem. You just have to know the right people.

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

Originally Posted by BALLINaintEASY

Anybody got opinions on UC riverside???
Yea, don't go there period
reasons??
nerd.gif

people are really trendy (ipods and rainbow sandals worn by 99.5% of the people)... great school academically (especially in Bio or Chem) so if you are one of these majors then you will be taught by great professors. teh campus is nice and clean. 10 mins from NewPort Beach. The people were kind of squares, very sheltered people. Thats how I felt.

Also, Kobe Bryant literally lives 2 miles from the campus and practices every morning at the UCI gym, shoots around there. Dont be surprised if you see him cut through campus in his Range Rover to get to the In N Out or go to the 24 hour fitness across the street from the campus. LOL

I'm a fourth year at UCI, going to graduate this June. As someone also from the bay, it was a surprisingly major change considering it's still California. Academics are top notch, especially if you are looking into Sciences, engineering, or computers.  The cool thing I noticed from my time here at UCI is that it is literally the land of opportunity.  You pretty much have no restrictions on what you want to get involved in.  Greek life at this school is pretty weak compared to the larger schools, but makes it beneficial because it diversifies the greek population (not all stereotypical frat boys and sorority girls).  Despite being in a very conservative region, UCI is very progressive...as a college should be.  Dorming your first year would be ideal for meeting new people and the experience, but it isn't necessary (I never dormed), and it'll save you a ton of money.  For creating and maintaining a social life all I can say is be open-minded and put yourself out there.  I have been working with incoming freshman for the past two years, and there are so many students from Norcal specifically that have trouble adjusting to the culture here.  It'll be different than what you were used to, but if you let it, it'll be an amazing experience.  If you do end up coming to this school, all I can say is get involved outside of class (greek life, cultural clubs, intramural sports, anything). The whole 'UCI is a commuter school' thing is only really applicable to first years who dorm.  Once you move off campus you don't really notice (why would you go to campus on the weekend anyways?)

OP, PM me if you have any specific questions though.

reasons??
nerd.gif

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
its not that bad as everyone else says

Theres things to do, but its all on you on going out and meeting people, joining organizations, networking, etc.

Originally Posted by 951guero

reasons??
nerd.gif

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
its not that bad as everyone else says

Theres things to do, but its all on you on going out and meeting people, joining organizations, networking, etc.
Not knocking the school, but seriously it's in Riverside. Not much of a College life. If i can offer you any advice it would be to go to an actually College town. So you get the full college atmosphere. 

you know, i thought about applying for a PhD in philosophy here...i guess it's still a possibility, but i just don't know if i can do the so cal thing...though rubbing elbows with kobe and getting to know his wife sounds kind of ok.

Originally Posted by alife epidemix

I'm a fourth year at UCI, going to graduate this June. As someone also from the bay, it was a surprisingly major change considering it's still California. Academics are top notch, especially if you are looking into Sciences, engineering, or computers.  The cool thing I noticed from my time here at UCI is that it is literally the land of opportunity.  You pretty much have no restrictions on what you want to get involved in.  Greek life at this school is pretty weak compared to the larger schools, but makes it beneficial because it diversifies the greek population (not all stereotypical frat boys and sorority girls).  Despite being in a very conservative region, UCI is very progressive...as a college should be.  Dorming your first year would be ideal for meeting new people and the experience, but it isn't necessary (I never dormed), and it'll save you a ton of money.  For creating and maintaining a social life all I can say is be open-minded and put yourself out there.  I have been working with incoming freshman for the past two years, and there are so many students from Norcal specifically that have trouble adjusting to the culture here.  It'll be different than what you were used to, but if you let it, it'll be an amazing experience.  If you do end up coming to this school, all I can say is get involved outside of class (greek life, cultural clubs, intramural sports, anything). The whole 'UCI is a commuter school' thing is only really applicable to first years who dorm.  Once you move off campus you don't really notice (why would you go to campus on the weekend anyways?)

OP, PM me if you have any specific questions though.

Pretty on point. I'm finishing up my 4th year currently and I'll be coming back for a 5th year. The gym is a huge plus for me as I'm there playing ball 4-5 times a week. Campus is real clean, as is the city in general. Coming from LA the lack of liquor stores, 7-11's, and homeless people still trips me out 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom